Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Road Tax Geneva to France ?????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ive gone on here http://www.viamichelin.com/ to work out routes/tolls etc

The tolls are only a few euros but there seem to be a 40 Euro road tax .
I would be hiring a car at the airport ,does this include this road tax or is it paid at a toll booth ???

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
that'll be the annual vignette, which should already be on the car if it's a swiss registered rental car.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, its a vignette that you need for travelling on Swiss motorways. Its €40 per year for the car and a Swiss Hire Car will have one - but one hired from the French side won't.

So n snags - but it is a constant source of irritation if you go to the airport once a year from Tignes as you are on the Motorway for about 9kms!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I guess thats why the car hire is dearer than any of the other airports

thanks for the help
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

it is a constant source of irritation if you go to the airport once a year from Tignes as you are on the Motorway for about 9kms!

easy enough to avoid, really.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You can get lucky, quite often the hire cars on the French side have a vignette as a previous hirer has bought one.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sarah, but if there isn't then it is not much hassle to avoid the motorway but you do need a map. Renting from Geneva airport is about the same price as renting anywhere else in the eurozone.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE wrote:
but you do need a map

Or a satnav with avoid toll roads selected.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Or a satnav with avoid toll roads selected

But you need to approach that with some knowledge of the geography - unless you want a very slow journey avoiding the French toll roads too! A map is a good idea. Maybe identify a point right down by the lake shore in Geneva then ask your satnav to take you there (it won't be on toll roads). Then start again and ask for your destination. But check - satnavs do some strange things in the mountains, sometimes.

Geneva can be very busy at times. Really, on an expensive holiday, it's probably worth paying the cost of a few pints of beer on the slopes to make the journey easier.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A map and directions:

http://www.gva.ch/en/Portaldata/1/Resources/fichiers/publications/af.pdf
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
that's a useful link, @altis.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As @pam w, Geneva can be grim during rush hour or even Saturday mornings - i'd just chance it and drive on the motorway on the way out and (depending where you're coming from) go through Geneve centre or Ferney Voltaire on the way home
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think chancing it on the way out is low risk - I do that journey a fair bit and never been stopped. But they are pretty assiduous at Bernex on the way in. I always buy a vignette - it makes life easier and is not a stupid amount of money. And I like to use the Jura route rather than the motorway in decent weather too, and that involves a spell on the Swiss motorway.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did that toll free drive through Geneva a couple of years ago and I hope to never have to do it again. rolling eyes Total nightmare and nearly missed the plane I was taking my friend to get.

On a side note I was doing a similar trip about 15 years ago, dropping a friend off at the airport. I already had a vignette this time but at the border I realised I'd left my passport with the campsite where I was staying in Chamonix. Could have blown me away when the Swiss border guard, after umming and ahing for a bit just waved me through. Shock
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy