Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche round-up 1974

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
There were 26 avalanche victims (over the winter 1973/1974). A bad result. The rise in the number of skiers in France over the last few years is no doubt to blame. That said 19 of the victims died in the second half of winter, that is from the 30th of April. One victim, unfortunately dead, was found thanks to his avalanche cord, which had been deployed. The case is pretty rare, and shows that, contrary to popular belief, avalanche cords have not lost all of their effectiveness.

To the best of the ANENA's knowledge no-one in France has yet been rescued by these new fangled avalanche radio beacons. Only a few people have acquired them to date as they've only just come on the market. One can hope that their widespread adoption will enable a major reduction in the number of avalanche victims.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 9-09-15 12:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Isn't recco just used for finding bodies? Would be interesting to know if all the victims were off piste and carrying transceivers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@francium., I think transcievers are what they are talking about...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
"New fangled" lol they've been around for a while.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@francium., did you read the date? 1974...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, davidof. Where is that quoted from? I have no doubt that avalanche cords have never been properly evaluated or enjoyed a full development of their potential (e.g. with flotation devices attached to them, as necessary).

Using an avalanche cord in addition to a transceiver (for example) can hardly reduce searchers' chances of finding a victim quickly, especially if the searchers are not very skilled or experienced.

The video last winter of a victim going under and managing to wave a visible ski pole from under the surface just shows that all sorts of possibilities exist.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lol missed that just browsing at work.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm... This prompted me to have a quick look around and apparently last year France had 24 fatalities as a result of avalanche, but then stats say they average 30 per year, so is that 'good' 'bad' or just 'something'.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:
... Using an avalanche cord in addition to a transceiver (for example) can hardly reduce searchers' chances of finding a victim quickly, especially if the searchers are not very skilled or experienced. ....

An argument used by others against you to justify other "safety" devices which you point out don't generally have an evidence base.

But don't get me wrong, I've no issue with whatever people chose to do in the name of their "safety", unless it directly affects mine.
---

On the OP, what's the source of that text please? The wording seems strange: in what way could an avalanche cord "lose effectiveness". It's just a cord.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith wrote:
Thanks, davidof. Where is that quoted from?

I just came across the full 1973/4 report in an old publication. BTW I added "fangled" myself Happy but the rest is from the ANENA. I liked the optimism that Beacons would result in a serious reduction in avalanche victims rather than people just changing their habits to a certain extent.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Be itself buried, be ripped off, wrap round throat of victim, wrap round something that anchors Vic to bottom of slide....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
is the big reveal that it was authored for Ski Survey magazine by a prominent "journo" of the era?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy