Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1 week chalet holiday 13th Feb 2016

Poster: A snowHead
So, hoping this week isn't half term for everyone, it is for Derbyshire schools but as we don't have much in the way of £££ up this way the school holidays are usually out of sync with other areas which keeps costs down a little.

Anyway son will be just about 10, had numerous lessons in snow domes and is reasonably competent, OH hasn't skied for 9 years but went 5 years on the bounce before then, obviously I'm ace and can ski owt😉

Looking for a family friendly chalet that offers easy access to easy slopes, not too isolated, somewhere that can help with transfers, no more than a couple of hours from the airport.

Any suggestions👍

I'd like to get something booked.

Cheers
David
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@up4it, sorry to say but this is the main UK half term week and also the same week as two of the French zones including the local zone plus the Paris zone. It will be a busy week!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@up4it, if you are looking at not having to shell out as many £££ have a look at going at Christmas or Easter. Far cheaper than heading out for half term usually and also a lot quieter.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You're way too late for any half term bargains I'm afraid. Any chance you could do Easter, which is quite early next year. Much, much, cheaper and less crowded.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can do Easter, no worries, I'd rather go when the weathers better tbh.

Budget is up to £700 pp?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is that for everything including lift passes, lessons etc? If so, that's tight for Easter but nigh on impossible for half term unless you were prepared to drive and self cater.

Packages from British TOs tend to be expensive for Easter because it's school holidays. Whereas in the French accommodation market it's low season. So you might find it best to put together a DIY package. EasyJet flights for Easter are not yet on sale (but will be in the next couple of weeks and prices will rise very quickly once they are available). You could rent an apartment. Doesn't mean you have to cater for yourselves - you could go out to restaurants or buy ready made dishes from a "traiteur" though doing a few meals isn't too taxing and if you have an apartment right by the slopes you can have a simply lunch for a few quid instead of lunch out on the slopes.

You would need to rent a car or arrange a private taxi transfer - if you don't want to drive.

At Easter you need a resort with pistes with different aspects (aspect is at least as important as altitude later in the season because of the long hours of sunlight).

If you would much prefer a catered package your best bet would be to wait till very last minute then be flexible about destination. But that's pretty nerve-wracking.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@up4it, book some flights and find a chalet on Chalets Direct winter solutions room. Job done.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you flew to Grenoble there is an inexpensive bus service to Les Deux Alpes which has plenty of really high altitude skiing if conditions are a bit warm and slushy. Also plenty of choice of accommodation and masses of restaurants. Skiing not as convenient as some places and it's not exactly oozing with alpine charm but because of the altitude decent conditions are pretty well guaranteed (which is more than you can say for somewhere like Les Gets which is otherwise an obvious choice).

If you fly into Geneva the best "Easter" destinations are a bit further away (e.g. Val Thorens) and also a bit more expensive on the slopes.

There are no doubt good Austrian options for Easter too, but I don't know about them. Italian options too - Cervinia springs to mind, and maybe Pila. Fly to Turin for shortest transfers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I shall be spending Easter with a big family party in an area which tops out at a smidgeon over 2000m and I am pretty confident the snow will be fine. BUT I would hesitate to recommend that to anyone with the whole alps to choose from.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Definitely try easter. Last season we went on 26th March-low season for the French. I found a lovely apartment in a renovated barn in the 3V in a village 1km from the lifts in St Martin. It slept 5. Booked through the local rental agent (Agence des Alpes-it was £400 including cleaning and we took our own sheets, towels etc. We drove down, which my bro in law calculated was £550 in total for eurotunnel, fuel and tolls. We had a great time and didn't feel we were roughing it at all! For a chalet holiday, I think I'd take the advice of others and wait a while for prices to come down, or look at the smaller owner operated chalets where you arrange your own transport.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Is that for everything including lift passes, lessons etc? If so, that's tight for Easter but nigh on impossible for half term unless you were prepared to drive and self cater.

Packages from British TOs tend to be expensive for Easter because it's school holidays. Whereas in the French accommodation market it's low season. So you might find it best to put together a DIY package. EasyJet flights for Easter are not yet on sale (but will be in the next couple of weeks and prices will rise very quickly once they are available). You could rent an apartment. Doesn't mean you have to cater for yourselves - you could go out to restaurants or buy ready made dishes from a "traiteur" though doing a few meals isn't too taxing and if you have an apartment right by the slopes you can have a simply lunch for a few quid instead of lunch out on the slopes.

You would need to rent a car or arrange a private taxi transfer - if you don't want to drive.

At Easter you need a resort with pistes with different aspects (aspect is at least as important as altitude later in the season because of the long hours of sunlight).

If you would much prefer a catered package your best bet would be to wait till very last minute then be flexible about destination. But that's pretty nerve-wracking.

No, the £700 is for the flights and accommodation.

Everything else on top.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having watched school holiday prices for last minute holiday. I have seen some decent last minute deals for Christmas week and Easter weeks, never for new year and half term week. Not saying there ARENT any just haven't seen any, that would be suitable for a family of 4.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Similar situation in Austria for w/c 13th Feb. It is high season for Scandinavian and Dutch guests, as well as UK half term, so accommodation is likely to be pricey, although it is the cost of flights from the UK that is usually the killer.

Easter would be a better bet, as it is low-ish season for Austrian resorts and falls relatively early in 2016, so snow conditions are likely to be fine.
Find an Easyjet/Ryanair/BA/Jet 2 flight to Salzburg, then any number of resorts are within a 90 minute taxi transfer. The transfer will cost you max. €300 for the round trip. An apartment should be easy to find for less than £650. Many resorts have free lift passes for under-16s from 19th March.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorted with MountainSun, Tignes Le Lac

£1650 catered for the 3 off us inc passes plus £200 transfers, just flights to sort but no easyjet schedule for April on their site yet. Id imagine £400ish? so thats £2250 inc fights, accom and passes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@up4it, well done, MountainSun is very good value.

The easyJet flights for Easter are due out in "early September", so keep checking. snowHead
snow report
@up4it, I believe easyjet release flights on the 10th for that period, get in quick for the best price.
ski holidays
Quote:

Tignes Le Lac

good call - excellent option for family skiing at Easter
snow report
Go to Italy
ski holidays
@SnowMonkey69, the OP has already booked a week with Mountainsun at Tignes Le Lac, a very good choice!
snow conditions
I'm too late, but was going to add that many areas offer free lift passes for kids when adults buy a pass. Not sure if Tignes does. I know Serre Che, Les Arcs, Ski Amade, Saalbach, Ski Welt all offer free kids passes for Easter (or have done in the past).
snow report
Is mountainsu not in tignes les boisses....or have they got another chalet now?
snow report
Right. At the risk of peeing everybody off ( and filling my favourite resort with Brits ) - I have just booked - in the Feb half term - for 1 adult, 1 child;

Flights plus hire car ( BA, and Avis ) including bags and skis £550
Hotel - 7 nights half board ( €511 ) c. £360

Now I need 1 kids ski/boot hire ( c.£40 ) and lift passes €375 ( c.£270 ). Admittedly, I don't need lessons, but how's £1200 for 2 in the Feb half term eh ?

It can be done people Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Is mountainsu not in tignes les boisses....or have they got another chalet now?

good point, @holidayloverxx. I just repeated what the OP said but, come to think of it, it IS in Les Boisses. I've been there several times and will be going again next month - though it all looks different when it's mostly grass and my geography of Tignes is tenuous..... I'm usually with people who know it well and just follow, like a sheep. wink
ski holidays
Yes you're right, I've been there before also, I just remember it's overlooking the lake, although in essence it's all the same place really.
ski holidays
Timberwolf wrote:
Right. At the risk of peeing everybody off ( and filling my favourite resort with Brits ) - I have just booked - in the Feb half term - for 1 adult, 1 child;

Flights plus hire car ( BA, and Avis ) including bags and skis £550
Hotel - 7 nights half board ( €511 ) c. £360

Now I need 1 kids ski/boot hire ( c.£40 ) and lift passes €375 ( c.£270 ). Admittedly, I don't need lessons, but how's £1200 for 2 in the Feb half term eh ?

It can be done people Happy

It can indeed - my rough costs for half term, self drive and self catering, have come to £1670 for four - that's everything except food (including ski school for the kids)
snow conditions
self drive and self catering makes ALL the difference for a reasonable half-term holiday, but unfortunately doesn't get round the problem of crowded slopes. I can have a free holiday at half term (own apartment, season lift pass) but wouldn't dream of it. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy