Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Châtel - which lift links to the Portes du Soleil?

Poster: A snowHead
So, I am totally confused. What is the name of the lift(s) which connect Châtel to the PdS?

Is it the Super Châtel gondola? Or the (seemingly) further from centre Linga or Pré-la-joux?

This is important as wish to book accommodation which is walkable to the (best) lift rather than have to drive or take the kids on the infernal ski bus.

Research suggests Super Châtel gondola is the central lift but this seems not to give access to PdS but the area is so big the piste map is really small - although fully appreciate that might be due to my lack of cartographical appreciation.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Snowsartre, both. Super-Chatel runs into Torgon in one sense and Morgins in the other. The bubble runs from central Chatel and I think that's where I'd want to stay (bars, restaurants, etc.)

From Linga/Pre-la-Joux you get to Avoriaz, which is in some respects the centre of the PdS. I'm not sure but I don't think there's much open at night. Not something I've ever had to really look at. But from ease of PdS ski access, that's where I'd want to be.

The bus is pretty doable, and frequent.

I don't have kids.

YMMV.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Snowsartre, where to start? Laughing

The Super Chatel sector was always connected to the Swiss sides (Torgon,Morgins and then on to Champossin, Les Crosets etc) of the PDS.

However the fastest way into the 'middle' of the PDS Avoriaz is via the Pre la Joux sector of Chatel which was not lift linked to the centre of Chatel until last season.

The 'new links' which connect the Super Chatel sector to Linga and therefore on to Pre la Joux and into the heart of the PDS are the 2 lifts Portes du Soleil and Gabelou which are found on the Route de Vonnes up on the edge of town.

Now you can easily ski from the centre of town via Linga and Pre la Joux into the wider PDS without going the slower Swiss routes.

As to where you want to be based depends on age/needs of kids as different ski schools operate in different areas.

Hope that helps a bit! snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
X post with @under a new name Laughing

Yes for ease of skiing into the heart of the PDS I always go via Pre la Joux but I don't mind driving to the base there. The bus is very good and very frequent. I wouldn't want to stay there as there is only one hotel. I don't think I'd really want to stay in Linga either although it's very convenient for the skiing as all my favourite restaus and watering holes are in Chatel.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all for swift replies. Looks like Central Châtel is the way to go. Having read the various Morzine versus Châtel threads here and elsewhere this would seem to be the best family option and Morzine perhaps when skiing sans famille wink

@under a new name, YMMV?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Snowsartre,

Your Mileage May Vary . snowHead

@sarah, completely forgot about the new lifts as although we had some lovely PdS skiing this season we typically kick off from Morzine and don't usually push through beyond Linga unless going the other way around. And we didn't feel the need to ride new chairs, just to, err, ride new chairs.

I understand that it's quite a long chair ride till you get skiing and the bus might be quicker?

I am not sure there is much in it as a Morzine vs Chatel argument re kids?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, Going Linga to Super Chatel yes it's a long ride, up then down and then cross to the next lift and then up. Super Chatel to Linga not so bad as you can ski down to the lifts at Vonnes so only need to go up and down to Linga, one chair. Still not sure the bus would be any quicker though from PLJ to Super Chatel.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gotcha! Mileage certainly very variable!

Point with kids was that the après is much tamer when with the kids hence Châtel seems more in fitting with nice food and scenic surrounds
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Snowsartre, I don't think Chatel necessarily has nicer food and I can't say I've ever been struck that's it's any more scenic Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Snowsartre, there's not much to choose between the two places they are both good family destinations, in fact I'd say Morzine is Brit family central at holiday times! Equally both resorts work well for adult groups.

@under a new name, Chatel village is more scenic for sure! It's smaller and prettier and has great views all up and down the valley. I like Morzine but it's bigger and more of a town.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sarah, I also find Avoriaz quite scenic. Says a lot, eh?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, Laughing yes! I like Avoriaz too!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Snowsartre, we were there last year and found it best to go to the new lifts because from there you can go either way up the hill.

But if you want to explore over to Morzine and Les gets then you are better to start at Pre la Joux.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowsartre,

Great swimming pool in Central chatel. http://chatel-formedo.com/en/the-centre.html

If your there with kids then look at the weekly pass
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's also worth noting that while the majority of people get hung up on hanging around avoriaz etc, there really is some fantastic skiing in Champoussin/Morgins etc - some of my favourite runs are over that way, and once you get off the main PDS circuit there are hardly any queues and some extrodinarily quiet pistes. Always a winner for me. I prefer Chatel (obviously) to Morzine - as Morzine is far, far, far bigger than Chatel and personally feels a bit squashed together for me. I don't really like the town for this reason, although skiing is skiing and although we rarely head over that way, i don't not enjoy the skiing because it's in Morzine, personally, i think there is better skiing elsewhere in the PDS - not trying to upset anyone, just giving my honest thoughts.
ski holidays
@bertiebassett. Great looking pool kids will love it! Is it included in the lift pass?
snow report
@Snowsartre, pool is not included on the lift pass unfortunately.
latest report
@bertiebassett. Great looking pool kids will love it! Is it included in the lift pass?
snow report
@Mountain Addiction, i would submit that "best" is very snow and weather dependant, although generally speaking, Linga's my favourite. Renard, (actually, I think the top section isn't called Renard anymore) in good nick is the very best bumps run I know - a perfect gradient, not too steep, just steep enough.
snow report
@under a new name, renards was definitely still called renards last time I looked! Have they changed it recently? Agree it's probably the best bumps run of the whole area if the number of Morzine based training groups on there is anything to go by Laughing

Linga for me is all about timing. I used to hate it but right timing and conditions and it's good.

@Mountain Addiction, I agree with you but the more people who want to ski Avoriaz the better, just keeps it quieter for the rest of us Toofy Grin That said I do like Avoriaz and there's a couple of really good training runs over there that I like. And a couple of good restaus!
snow report
IMO

Morzine>Chatel for family/kids

Chatel>Morzine for greater amts of mileage... Ive stayed in petit chatel a few times and had brill days starting at the Barbossine list and skiing across to linga/pre la joux/Avoriaz and back.
snow report
@stronjl, can't see any mileage advantage of Chatel over Morzine, but who cares about mileage anyway. Ome of my very best ever days was yo-yoing the old Pointe de Nyon.
ski holidays
@stronjl, can't see any mileage advantage of Chatel over Morzine, but who cares about mileage anyway. Ome of my very best ever days was yo-yoing the old Pointe de Nyon.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy