Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

JaPOW - Travel Advice

Poster: A snowHead
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
@Minion1980, That's fair enough. Thanks for the link Smile

You could try somehwre else in Japan if you're set on it this year? Or someone was saying you can get 10% off hotels.com through topcashback or something, worth a look at least.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hyst, Thanks, looks interesting.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Australian Alpine Club, Izumikyo, Niseko Hirafu

http://www.aacniseko.com/book.html

£62.37 (AUD$110) / night B&B in shared room
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mike Pow, Cheers Mike Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@AndAnotherThing.., I've stayed there, and am staying there again in January (14-21).
100% recommend the AAC.
The rooms are simple, the en-suite bathrooms tiny.
Location is good, the resort shuttle bus stops at the door. You can walk to town in about 15 minutes (but twice that to the slopes I'd say). A few nice restaurants just 5 minute walk away.
Breakfast is good, if you want to cook yourself in the evening you can. Large communal living/dining room and unlimited tea/coffee, fridge space for your beers etc.

The social atmosphere was top notch, we were there for 2 weeks and consequently had quite a few Aussies pass through, without exception they were good company, both on and off the mountain. If you are going on your own you'd have to be very unfriendly yourself to not gather ski-buddies at the AAC.

Tip: bone up on your rugby and cricket/Ashes knowledge...some good banter to be had!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rungsp, Thanks that's good to know. I'll drop them a line and maybe see you there !
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Minion1980

The Lufty/ANA flights were booked at same time on same ticket.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Goliard wrote:
@Minion1980

The Lufty/ANA flights were booked at same time on same ticket.

Thanks @Goliard that's good to know as I have done the same Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Minion1980

Just be sure to give yourself enough time at Haneda. When you get off the Lufty flight, you have to collect all your bags, skis, boards, boots...full kit, clear customs and then haul them onto a bus to the domestic terminal, then up to domestic departures in a lift. We were there the week before Christmas last year and it was absolute pandemonium and if we hadn't been flying in Lufty with a confirmed connection we would have missed the flight. Ironically the flight to Sapporo was only half full.[/b]
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Goliard wrote:
@Minion1980

Just be sure to give yourself enough time at Haneda. When you get off the Lufty flight, you have to collect all your bags, skis, boards, boots...full kit, clear customs and then haul them onto a bus to the domestic terminal, then up to domestic departures in a lift. We were there the week before Christmas last year and it was absolute pandemonium and if we hadn't been flying in Lufty with a confirmed connection we would have missed the flight. Ironically the flight to Sapporo was only half full.[/b]

Thanks Goliard, I have a 2 hour layover at Haneda, hopefully that's enough though that does worry me slightly, especially as i will be suffering jetlag and in a strange and foreign land. I land on the 4th february which is the end of Chinese New Year and also the weekend before the Snow Festival so I expect it will be busy.

Like you I am with Lufty all the way with ANA controlling the Haneda to Sapporo flight, I will be travelling with just my snowboard bag and rucksack, I've already had the confirmation that the bag can be carried on all flights, Lufty had to get ANA to agree their part for me, dimensions and all. My accommodation people booked me my Niseko transfers today and the one going back to Chitose gets me in 1 hour before my flight to Tokyo, not sure that's long enough!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Minion1980, Last season I flew BA to Haneda and then Japan Airlines to Chitose, and I only had 1.5 hours. I found that there are domestic check in / bag drop desks in the International terminal, where you can check in and drop your bags, then take an internal airport bus to the domestic terminal. So no hassle of effectively leaving the airport and then entering via departures / security etc.

The desks were at the end of the terminal past the exit lifts, but I don't know if the desks were Japan Airlines only.

In terms of the return journey, my flight from Chitose was 07:30, and I was given the option of leaving Niseko at 04:00, but in the end took the option of a late bus the night before and an airport hotel. I've never been a last minute it will all be alright person, so I wouldn't be happy with a 1 hour arrival window, especially if there has been heavy snow. During my last week in Niseko, Chitose was shutdown due to bad weather, but roads were also closed so people could not get to the airport even when it opened.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Australian Alpine Club, Izumikyo, Niseko Hirafu - £62.37 (AUD$110) / night B&B in shared room
As Japan is on our to do list I just had a look at the above - thinking we could maybe join the club to get the discount accommodation rate. I was foolishly assuming it would be something like the Austrian Alpine Club (UK Branch) set up - ie £45 annual membership (+£35 spouse)....Er, how wrong could I be!?

Quote:
AAC Niseko membership involves outlaying $6,000 as equity and paying a $500 joining fee
What the?!?! Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PowderAdict wrote:
@Minion1980, Last season I flew BA to Haneda and then Japan Airlines to Chitose, and I only had 1.5 hours. I found that there are domestic check in / bag drop desks in the International terminal, where you can check in and drop your bags, then take an internal airport bus to the domestic terminal. So no hassle of effectively leaving the airport and then entering via departures / security etc.

The desks were at the end of the terminal past the exit lifts, but I don't know if the desks were Japan Airlines only.

In terms of the return journey, my flight from Chitose was 07:30, and I was given the option of leaving Niseko at 04:00, but in the end took the option of a late bus the night before and an airport hotel. I've never been a last minute it will all be alright person, so I wouldn't be happy with a 1 hour arrival window, especially if there has been heavy snow. During my last week in Niseko, Chitose was shutdown due to bad weather, but roads were also closed so people could not get to the airport even when it opened.

Thanks so much for the info @PowderAdict it's really useful.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Minion1980, Glad to help Very Happy

I just checked and found the Haneda terminal map I used. You come out into the Arrivals Lobby (marked light blue), turn right, and at the end of the terminal you will find the Domestic Connecting Desks, check in and drop bags, then across to the Domestic Connecting Security Check opposite (down stairs if I remember correctly). After the 5-10 min transfer there is a secure entry into the Domestic terminal, and you then go upstairs to the gates.

http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/en/map/floormap/map.html?floorId=MAP002
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@PowderAdict, wow this is amazing thanks so much I feel so much more at ease now Smile

You are a true gent.
snow conditions
Hi,

Will be watching this thread for all the good information and helpful advice. Toying with a (budget) trip in 2018.

Thanks all.
snow conditions
Can't remember the breakdown of the costs in the article, but current prices

Flight - £500-600 (Return flight to New Chitose Airport (CTS) just outside of Sapporo)
Transfers - £40 max return (Regular bus service from New Chitose Airport to Niseko Hirafu Welcome Centre)
Accommodation - £65 per person per night B&B in shared room in Australian Alpine Club Lodge (rungsp has stayed here and vouches for it)
Lunch - £10 per day on mountain, less if you buy from convenience store
Dinner - £10-30 per day (depends on how much you eat, how lavish you want to go)
Lift Ticket - £350 for 7 days (based on 2016-17 rate)

So somewhere between £1485 and £1725

Hope that helps
ski holidays
In comparison, this is Ski Safari's idea of a cheap Hokkaido trip

https://www.skisafari.com/offers/japan/explore-hokkaido-for-less

Quote:
20% off at the 4* Kiroro Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Kiroro
Free lift pass in Rusutsu
Free 2 day lift pass and a complimentary mountain hosting in Furano

Hokkaido Explorer Ski Safari
Based on 2 adults sharing
14 nights B&B from £2495pp
4 nights in Rusutsu, 4 nights in Kiroro, 4 nights in Furano and 2 nights in Tokyo

Based on 2 adults sharing. Departing 18 February. Includes accommodation, flights and transfers. Subject to availability, restrictions apply.
ski holidays
Also in comparison, as it is all relative. BA (Customer Services) offered me an upgrade to Club class on my return leg from Tokyo to London for the bargain price of £2600 Shocked

I declined the offer, an got an upgrade at the gate for a fraction of the price Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy