Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc (St Gervais/Megeve/Les Contamines etc) season passes

Poster: A snowHead
Just in case anyone hasn't seen it the discounts for early purchases (before Nov 15) are out

Evasion Mont Blanc -25% = Eur 626
Les Contamines/Hauteluce -30% = EUR 454

Looks like I need to ski 4 days outside Les C to make the EMB pass worthwhile. In the past EVM comes with coupons decouvert (3 or 4 day passes to Chamonix/PDS/GM/ED) but not clear if it does this year).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will you be doing a seaosn up there @jedster ? Would love to get up there more as might have 1 apartment vacant for bit but not sure I can Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That seems quite a lot for Les Contamines.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Will you be doing a seaosn up there @jedster ?

sadly not but break even on a season pass is less than 3 weeks and I'll probably manage 25 days.

Quote:

That seems quite a lot for Les Contamines.

I know what you mean. Generally the EMB pass has been pretty good value compared to similarly sized areas but think I saw that Chamonix was less than 700 with early season discount which seems better value to me.
The Les C pass looks quite a lot cheaper than EMB but as I point out, you don't have to buy many day passes to St G /Megeve to eat the saving. That said Les C is the best skiing in EMB in my opinion and we probably won't go to St G very often (3 days last season)... looks like they have got the pricing about right in that there is no easy answer!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jedster, You been over to Combloux / La Geittaz? Never ventured over there but looks quite cruisey and relaxed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@AlpineAddict, I've done 2/3 a season days in Combloux and surroundings for the past 3 winters, and really enjoy the place. There is some tougher skiing and off-piste if you want it (including some fun tree options!), and it's not tracked out too fast - but also nice cruisey runs, stunning views, and some nice little eateries that are decent value.

I'm a big fan of the area, and quite a few friends do weekend day trips there from Geneva.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

@jedster, You been over to Combloux / La Geittaz? Never ventured over there but looks quite cruisey and relaxed

I've never made it to La Geittaz but agree it does look appealing in a chilled sort of way. I've skied quite a lot around the Princess area of Combloux (i.e. from Mont Arbois down to Combloux) because I've had several holidays staying at Le Bettex with young kids and Princess is a great place to ski from there when you only have a couple of hours. It really like it. The pistes are very pleasant and there are some lovely bits of tree skiing and hidden meadows if you know where you are going. If you drop in under the princess bubble from the top it is actually quite steep - makes a change in EMB!

@fixx, is that where you mean or is there nice tree skiing over at La Geittaz? I could imagine there is.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Miranda is the resident expert on skiing in La Giettaz.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm buying an apartment in Les Contamines so should hopefully be there for 15/16 season. Does anyone know if you live there, if you can get any further discounts on passes?

cheers...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Espace Diamant season pass is 631 but 475 if bought before the first Sunday in November. Over 65 will be 425 and over 75 378. Not terribly generous reductions for age but 30% for buying early. 25% reduction for buying before 1 December. Anybody can get those prices - not reserved for residents, or whatever.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stevenokeys, no reduction if you have an apartement there
What has not been mentioned is that there is a second date for buying a reduced season pass usually about the 5-6 jan. This of course is no help if you intend to be there for christmas/new year
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stevenokeys, Where have you bought..? and welcome, so SHs and to LEs Contamines Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi

It's an apartment in the village, just a couple hundred metres from the road to La Gorge

Does anyone on here live in Les Contamines? - some tips would be great! e.g. anyone know where I can buy some firewood?!

Steve
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

It's an apartment in the village, just a couple hundred metres from the road to La Gorge

Sounds near us - near Les Loyers slope? I'm afraid we haven't bought any wood (even though we have a stove). There are big stacks of wood in various places around the village which look like they may be for sale. For some reason I think the garage might sell firewood?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yes, near les loyers slope

There's a garage there? is that in Contas or down in St Gervais?
snow report
pam w wrote:
Miranda is the resident expert on skiing in La Giettaz.

Ah, a timely post as I've not been on here for a while.

Not sure what "chilled" skiing means in this context (i.e. any different from the rest of the EMB including Les Contamines?) but… I suspect if you're based in Les Contamines for the season you would rarely make it over here (couple of days in the season max) as that's what we manage going to Les Contamines. Still think the season pass is a good deal.
snow report
stevenokeys wrote:
Hi

Does anyone on here live in Les Contamines? - some tips would be great! e.g. anyone know where I can buy some firewood?!

Steve

I have a couple of apartments, that we've renovated down below the village mate (in a chalet, about 10 mins walk up to the centre)... I don't live out there, or get much opportunity to stay as we rent both our places out full time now, but do ask away if you need anything and I'll see if I can help buddy Very Happy

I can certainly ask some friends in the village about firewood...

Tip of the season will be to ensure you try both the crepes and burgers in Le Ty Breiz... Just around for you... They are awesome...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g658272-d4752761-Reviews-Le_Ty_Breiz-Les_Contamines_Montjoie_Haute_Savoie_Rhone_Alpes.html
snow conditions
Quote:

Not a petrol station but a maintenance garage which also rents cars - very near your flat actually. Hang on... from the les contamines web site under shops and services

"Loose or bagged firewood available at the Tré la Tête garage. Delivery and home storage possible."

Very Happy

It's called "Garage de la Tre la Tete" I think - its on the main road next door to O de la Bouche.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Not a petrol station but a maintenance garage which also rents cars - very near your flat actually. Hang on... from the les contamines web site under shops and services

"Loose or bagged firewood available at the Tré la Tête garage. Delivery and home storage possible."

Very Happy

It's called "Garage de la Tre la Tete" I think - its on the main road next door to O de la Bouche.

Bizarrely enough they also do key cutting... Smile Random piece of info for the day...
ski holidays
Quote:

Bizarrely enough they also do key cutting...

worth knowing!
snow conditions
ah, excellent, yep i think I know where the garage is...now you mention it's not a fuel station. Key cutting hey?...an excellent but underrated tip! All tips gratefully received, thank you. I'll be sure to check out the Le Ty Breiz.

Now my winter log supply is sorted, I'm a happy man.

hmmmm, but one slightly dull question. May want to replace some of the furniture in apartment. One of the agents I met out there mentioned a furniture place in Chamonix that was very popular and reasonable. Anybody think they know it?

ta.
ski holidays
@stevenokeys, more tha likely cocktail scandanavie....
latest report
Possibly http://www.cocktail-scandinave.fr/ ? There's also an Ikea in Annemasse if you want to head the other way, and a Maisons du Monde in Annecy if you want a nice day trip out to a pretty town.
latest report
There are a couple of 'ok' places down the hill in Sallanches as well... Just off the motorway...
ski holidays
Quote:

There's also an Ikea in Annemasse

Isn't the IKEA in Geneva, very near the airport? Shopping there, you need to remember the likelihood of having to pay duty going into France. A friend with a big estate car full of flat packs was charged quite a lot. wink

Cocktail Scandinave has the veriest collection of alpine tat you've ever seen. wink
snow conditions
@pam w, ooh, you just made me look - there was meant to be one in the big outlet/warehouse area in Annemasse, but it appears it never actually opened. I know a lot of Geneva people were hoping for cheaper prices, guess that's why they canned it NehNeh
ski holidays
Quote:

There are a couple of 'ok' places down the hill in Sallanches as well... Just off the motorway...

Yep we've used them - OK.
We also got a delivery from IKEA - logistics were a nightmare.
I've forgotten where exactly (nr Riems?) but we passed an IKEA on the drive from Calais. We thought that might be a good option if we need to replace anything else.
snow conditions
When renovating my apartments, we got both the kitchens from IKEA... If you have the time and dedication, it is worth cross referencing everything with IKEA France, Switzerland, and the UK... It is ridiculous the price differences in some things...

For example, some of the 'white goods' were near £100 cheaper than they were in another country... We mixed and matched, so ferried a load out ourselves in my van and bought the rest of the kitchens from either France or Switzerland and had them delivered whilst we were out there...

And yes@jedster, it was a nightmare logistically... Persistence and a very helpful French (English speaking) helpline paid dividends as we saved 'a lot' of money...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This thread appears to have gone slightly OT Very Happy
ski holidays
oops, yep a little bit! Thanks for the tips all.....and if anyone in Les Contamines this winter, drop me a line....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy