Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen/Zillertal

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - looking at a week in end Jan 2016 and Mayrhofen looks to tick a few boxes. All advanced skiers, looking for good, med-big resort with opportunity for off piste (lift accessible/guided). Have skied cham, st.a, 3V, EK etc in past and looking @ Ischgl or Mayrhofen this time round. Re. latter, Penkenbahn seems to be a major gripe with people in the past - will the replacement resolve these queueing issues? Are we better off staying in Mayrhofen itself or can anyone recommend good satellite village that might open up the valley a bit more - should we go closer to glacier or other side of Mayrhofen. Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Either - Finkenberg is a lovely village but has limited facilities and apres (a very loud bar 20 feet from the lift, or the excellent Finkennest for a quieter experience 50 yards away) and if you want to travel up and down the valley then you'll need a car or bus to get anywhere. It's also built on a steep slope, so walking to the lift can be tiring and slippy. The free ski buses run the length of the valley, and a "dorfbus" minibus shuttle service runs morning and evening to move people from their accommodation to the lift and back again to avoid the walk.

On the other side, Zell im Ziller is often overlooked by UK visitors, but is very popular with the Dutch and Germans and has an excellent range of pistes to Gerlos. The town is more limited than Mayrhofen, but is also much quieter as a result, if you prefer it that way. The lifts are on the edge of town, and a bus is likely to be needed to get to them.

Think of the valley as 5 separate large skiing areas which are linked by bus, rather than somewhere you can do as a circuit, and it starts to be clearer. All of the areas are recommended, and any one would keep beginners or early intermediates happy for a week, but for advanced skiers you'll probably want to do 3-4 of them if you can.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I too have skied Chamonix (2 no. trips were both 8 weeks long,staying in Argentiere), St Anton, 3V,EK & Verbier as well as countless others.About 10 years ago at the age of 34, I think I got bored of them.

First went to both Ischgl & Finkenberg in 2008. Have kept going back ever since! Would say that Ischgl is my fav all round resort. In the valley, Kappl down the road is a wonderful "small" hill with 1400m vertical. The boozing is also easy and fun.

Having stayed in both Finkenberg and Mayrhofen, I think I prefer Finkenberg. Easier access to the Penken (which I think is the least enjoyable mountain in the valley) and Hintertux. And the Finkennest, which I think is the best bar in the valley.We just get cabs to Kaltenbach & Zell Am Ziller. Jump on the train to these two if staying in Mayrhofen.

Both Ischgl or Zillertal valley are winners.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
With regards to where to stay, I think it depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for night life then you want to be in Mayrhofen. All of the resorts are linkedin by free public transport and so if you are not bothered about the night life element, then I would definately look at Zell, Kaltenbach or even Fugen as a base. It makes getting to Hintertux a bit more of a mission, but I personally prefer Kaltenbach and Zell to Mayrhofen as ski areas.
The penkenbahn only really used to be a problem a few weeks of the year. The new one will sort this out and in busy weeks you are better off to use the Horberg or Finkenberg lifts anyway.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks all - looks interesting.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks all - looks interesting.....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I too am heading to Mayrhofen for the first time in early March. It is my 'alpine' holiday with my wife as seemed to have lots for her to do (and me for half days). Also Ski Club Leader guiding there as will be without my usual buddies (have off-piste trips planned Jan & later March).

However will be allowed out for a days guiding. Are there any outfits in Mayrhofen who do off-piste day group guiding without having to book my own guide at £350 or so? Tried to arrange this is in Zell am See last year and failed miserably.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is worth popping http://www.mountain-sports-zillertal.com/en/alpine-winter/backcountry-skiing/ or http://actionclub-zillertal.at/winter/freeriding/ an email to see if they have anyone in a similar boat. They only want to confirm booking at the whole day rate like in Zell though. Also worth when you get here popping into Mikes Sports Bar or Funkys as there are loads of English/Dutch guests and so may be able to find someone to buddy up with.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@hawkesbaynz - I've had a couple of really enjoyable days skiing with Roy Butterfield, worth giving him a call to find out what he could do for you. His website is http://www.zillerthriller.com/snow.html Good instructor and as he has his own minibus he'll take you to wherever in the Zillertal suits you best.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I`d stay in mayrhofen . but at the bottom end of the resort . easy to get to the train station or the bus to the hintertaux . easy to get to the horberg lift instead of the penken to avoid the queues.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rjp123, the new Penken lift has cost a fortune so they are hoping to seriously alter the lift queues and their reputation. Time will tell but I expect the lift to make a big difference. I would always stay in Mayrhofen over Finkenberg - so much more going on.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I stayed in Mayrhofen for 3 weeks last January and never had to wait in any queue at Penkenbahn. I just showed up at the lift when it opened at 8:00 or 8:30, so I was before the queue started. I don't think the queue starts until after 9 o'clock.
I would stay in Mayrhofen, there are a lot of restaurants and bars there, so you will have something to do after the skiing. Finkenberg has some nice hotels but there is absolutely nothing there to do. Its just houses along the road to Hintertux and the road is in steep hill so it is even boring to walk along it. But could be ok for families. And since the road through Finkenberg is in steep hill you might need chains if it is snowing, at the same time you would probably not need it in Mayrhofen since it is on flat ground. I have not stayed in Zell am Ziller but took the bus through it on the way from Rosenalmbahn to Zillertalbahn. From what I saw out of the bus window, I guess it is fine for families staying in apartments or halbpension. But Zell am Ziller is hardly a town, the center of it has bakery, supermarket, intersport and vw garage. But as I said not stayed in ZaZ so might be wrong on this. Kaltenbach, don't like the ski area, not much to do for advance skier on piste, but I think it has something off piste.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@atomicsl11, - the early bird catches the worm. I too have never really had any dramas with the old Penkenbahn. Last lift down could see a bit of a queue sometimes but I never had the horror show that you hear so much about. The new Penkenbahn has wifi so expect millions of apres selfies appearing on facebook.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
great thanks. If we go to Mayrhofen we will stay there and travel along valley as and if required. Ischgl also looking seriously appealing (and seriously expensive)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rjp123, Ischgl would be my first choice for skiing and apres but yes it is mighty popular.
snow conditions
Ischgl is an expensive place, but probably with the best apre-ski in Tirol. It is a hell lot of awesome pubs, clubs and restaurants to go to. When I was there in December a couple of years ago, Rihanna had a concert on the platform above 1200m or smth. Indeed an amazing place. Skiing isn't bad either, especially if you go avoid the "main" season (saying around Christmas for example).
snow report
+1 for Zell am Ziller
snow report
We love both Mayrhofen and Ischgl. Both very different and each with their pros and cons. Both are excellent ski areas, which is the main thing.

For Ischgl, we stayed in Mathon, which is a sleepy little village just up the road, and took the free bus to Ischgl. Easy peasy.

Mathon accommodation is loads cheaper than Ischgl and is bookable on the Ischgl website.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, you can also get availability in Mathon as well. The place suffers because many head there thinking it is Ischgl and are pretty unhappy to find it isn't. Great access to both Ischgl and Galtuer ski areas and cheaper with more flexible accommodation than Ischgl.
ski holidays
We really liked Mathon - lovely little place. But Ischgl it most certainly is not.... Smile
ski holidays
Landhaus Kumbichl highly recommended if you choose m'hofn - right by Ahorn and 5 mins walk to Penkenbahn. It is also on a bus route if you really don't want to walk. Spotlessly clean and the big antique orange press (to make your own juice at brekkie) makes the place smell yum 😊. Would agree with atomicsl11 observations re the alternative places (H'tux etc). Early doors penkenbahn (as said above, before 9am) is the way to go..but the new gondola may well do the job anyway. As for getting down at the end of the day, why rush? The two apres ski bars at the top are usually buzzing with typical Austrian apes ski. You'll be disappointed when they send you down.

Suec
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy