Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2015 - 2016

Poster: A snowHead
theres something for all levels across the Les Arcs Domaine
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
markdevon wrote:
Anyone out there now with an up to date report? We hit 2000 on Saturday afternoon and conditions look pretty damn good right now from the snow forecasts. Smile Smile Smile

I arrive Saturday as well but i was hoping for sunshine Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Started today around 07.00 and hadn't really stopped when I drew the curtains this evening.
Having braved the dumping during yesterday for as long as we could, today we went to BSM to replenish supplies. Lack of vis will likely be the problem - certainly enough snow & should be still fresh. We too hope for sunshine - but guess the snow really has to have priority. That said I do have a penchant for seeing where I am going - it's an age thing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
4 March 2016. Today was a powder day!

More snow fell last night and we woke to about 10cm of fresh down in the valley and around 25cm on the mountain.

Had a few untracked runs down the meadows above Arc 1800 then over to Les Coches and the Roche de Mio.. Although tracked we still had room for our own lines.

Back up top and more fresh lines for a second shorter route. Then into the forest as the light started to become flat and even more fresh snow!

Finally a hot chocolate stop then one last lap and home.

Photos from today are posted in the new March 2016 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.982753908467742.1073741861.195692797173861&type=3
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heading out for a smash and grab weekend on the 18th.

Land in GVA Friday evening, fly out of GVA on Sunday evening. 2 days of non-stop skiing, and a Saturday night in Le Tonneau to watch England play France in the rugby.

Looks like the snow gods are being kind and hopefully by then some of the good lines will be in good condition.

@snowcrazy might bump into you that weekend, no doubt I'll be in Charly's having a Tim's Coffee.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@timlongs, all the good lines are in condition already and all been well done, but we will try and leave a little fresh for you, well maybe! Send me a PM if you fancy meeting up to do some backcountry.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowcrazy - Ha, enjoy!

In other news, I've finally gotten round to editing and uploading some footage from last season in Les Arcs and La Plagne.

Video 1 was filmed on a bluebird powder day in La Plagne

http://youtube.com/v/N49quXM05hg - Less that 2 mins long.

Video 2 was filmed on a Spring day in Les Arcs and was a big hike and ski tour day in the backcountry. We hiked up to L'Epaule du Saint-Esprit par le Col de la Luge then ski toured onto La Crete des Lanchettes, and skied down to Nancroix.

http://youtube.com/v/VOcFrJC7AQc - 1min30 long.

Enjoy!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
5 March 2016. Awesome!! Powder everywhere!

Stayed in Les Arcs and skied in Arc 1600, 1800, Peisey Vallandry, down to Nancoix and then over to Arc 2000 bowl and Villaroger, Par Avalanche, then Droset area before finally heading through Malgovert and home.

What a day. The vis might have been poor at times, but that made little difference to the powder which was up to our waist most of the time and even higher.

Take a look at the photos to see some of the best shots I have taken this season, well I think so anyway!

Even had the chance to explore the forests a little more.

For those that prefer the pistes. The conditions everywhere are good. It was a little warn in some places on piste coming into lifts and stations, but the new snow has made most pistes soft and fun,although this has also caused some moguls on easier pistes. Overall the conditions on piste are great as well and you can ski everywhere without a problem.

The road warning signs are on so if you are driving winter gear for your car is advised and they may stop you driving up to the resort from the valley if you do not have chains. If it keeps snowing the roads might become very slippy again. In station most side roads will need chains.

It was snowing down to the valley again a while ago. Hope to have another powder day tomorrow!

Meeting up top of Arpette Chair 10am tomorrow morning for anyone interested. Might split into different groups depending on numbers.

Photos from today will be posted shortly. Follow the link below. They are worth waiting for!! Just wait till you see how much fresh powder there is!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.982753908467742.1073741861.195692797173861&type=3
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
6 March 2016. What a great day again! Fresh untracked powder all day!! Very nice! But also a time to say goodbye to one of the gang for this season. See you next winter buddy!

Started with a quick ski across Les Arcs and then we all headed down the Col de La Chal in fresh powder!

Then time to split into two groups. A few of us went to do some harder stuff. We managed to fit in quite a bit and still make it back to Arc 1600 without using the bus!

Take a look at the photos to see all the great powder and drops we found.

The pistes have been refreshed nicely by the new snow and you can ski everywhere. Even the Varet Gondola opened today. Tomorrow should be another good day.

The photos for today are now posted in the March 2016 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy.

Tomorrow we will be meeting at the Vanoise Express by 10am and heading for La Plagne. We will be splitting into two groups again I expect. Let me know if you want to join us.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
8 March 2016. The last couple of days have been great!

Yesterday we had fresh powder and blue skies. Managed to put fresh powder lines down the Bellecote Bowl and the North Face as well as a few other places on the way over to the Bellecote and on the way home.

Today the vis was not as good, but went to the Bellecote anyway and had more first tracks down the bowl by different routes and then back to the Vanoise Express by the Frilon with more great snow from top to bottom and plenty of jumps.

The off piste everywhere we went was light and fluffy with no tracks most of the day.

The pistes on the way to and from the Bellecote on both sides of the Vanoise Express were firm and in good condition, but lower down they did become hard packed and slippy in places.

The new snow has topped up the whole area and those coming out next weekend should have a great time with more snow forecast.

The photos from yesterday are now posted. Today's photos will follow later. Use this link to see the photos.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.982753908467742.1073741861.195692797173861&type=3&uploaded=75

More to follow tomorrow. Enjoy!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arctic Roll wrote:
@Gilly28, so, lifts to go on:
Vanoise, Piesey, TransArc 1,2 - ski down into 2000. Have a coffee stop. Carry on down to:
Combourciere, and do Malgovert run.
Finish down the Mont Blanc run, and take Cachettes, followed by Arpette to get to top of water slide.
Complete it without getting wet, and then, as above, any one of 5 lifts to give you enough height to enjoy getting back to the Vanoise.

If water sliding do think about dry clothes. I've skied back to 1950 (just one lift) after a thorough drenching (and ego-deflation: see
http://youtube.com/v/1sO_By0Jt4g ) and it was about as far as I wanted to go - even in the sunshine. Overnight boot drying was quite important too...

Ok I have the map out in preparation of marking where we should go to get over to 2000, and I'm kind of lost. Ok off Vanoise, up Peisey, but next lifts mentioned are Transarcs which are a fair bit across. We could muck about and eventually find our way across but it's timing I'm worried about as last time because we were unsure how far it was we didn't want to take the risk. Would really like to head over to 2000 as had a holiday there many moons ago and would like to check it out, but we were more novice skiers then so probably didn't cover as much of the area, so I don't know it at all. So if someone was able to give us runs we should take and lifts that would be fab
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gilly28, Sorry - my bad, forgot the Derby. So it's Peisey lift, down to Derby then either Transarc midstation, or the new Carreley is your quickest route. (Albeit with Carrely, you may need to go up Marmottes once in the 2000 bowl to give you a decent run at the village of 2000 itself. )
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
off to Les Arcs next week. 1st time there and looking forward to this! First, I need to repair my powder board. The edges near the tail got quite damaged earlier this season...What would be the best place to go to in Arc 1600? I've already talked to a couple of guys in some shops in Austria but they didn't have the appropriate glue/equipment to fix it...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've been off piste most of the time over the past 3 days here in Paradiski, might head over to the 'arc side today. Tried to meet up with others that know the resort but failed dismally.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wednesday was another Blue sky day with amazing powder again so just had to go to the Bellecote.

Found some great powder in the bowl and off the back on the North Face.

More to come today as we have blue sky and fresh powder again!

The photos from Tuesday are now posted. Will try to catch up the others tonight!

Here is the link!

@tangowaggon, you need to send me a PM the night before over on my facebook page or a text message for meeting point and time each day as it changes depending on the weather. Hope that helps.
snow conditions
@Cedrick, You could try Intersport just by the Sherpa, we get out skis serviced there when unable to do it ourselves, but like most resort shops they really only do edges, waxes and base repairs. On taking my slalom skis which had started delaminating into the Twinner shop the owner correctly told me that they were scrap. Sadly the shop closed down a couple of years ago but that was not really suprising since an edge and wax only cost 10 euro.

I hope you get your board repaired.
latest report
Thursday 9 March. What a great day!

People I spoke too said the backcountry was tracked out unless you hike, but they were wrong.

The photos from yesterday are now posted and the ones from today will follow later.

After some great lines yesterday on the Bellecote, today we stayed in Les Arcs and headed up the Aiguille Rouge after first having a quick warm up in the couloir above Arc 1950.

Headed to the top of the ridge then down one face and over into the national park. Then through the meadows and cliffs all the way to Villaroger for lunch. After a nice lunch, down another route back to the forest above villaroger.

The pistes around the resort are becoming hard packed and icy in the late afternoons, but some places are still soft where the sun has not effected the snow.

Finally over to Arc 1950 for a beer at George's Bar.

Here is the link to yesterdays photos. Enjoy!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.982753908467742.1073741861.195692797173861&type=3&uploaded=58
snow report
@johnE, thanks. If I can't find a suitable workshop in arc 1600, I'm thinking of heading to Intersport in Bourg St Maurice.
snow conditions
12 March 2016. Blue Sky and powder! Yes we still managed to find some untracked powder and not another person in sight! Transfer Saturday's are a great day to ski!

Spent time in La Plagne and Les Arcs today. Managed to get on the Bellecote again. Went down the Canadian Couloir to start and then onto the central ridge and found more space to put down fresh tracks.

Then back over to Les Arcs and lunch. Watched a little of the Slope style competition and then headed for Arc 2000 bowl. Another short couloir with good snow inside, but crusty and frozen on the way out.

Finally back to the Arc 1600 side and down through Malgovert Forest and home.

Another fun day in very mixed conditions, but with plenty of good snow to enjoy.

The pistes in most places we went today were quite hard packed and icy so you need to control your speed in the busy areas. There is a softer layer of snow on the top surface where the sun has not cooked the slopes, but many pistes now have moguls even on some blue runs.

Most piste natures are still in good condition, but do have some rocks coming through. If you keep in the shady areas there is still light fluffy snow around.

Anyone just arriving should have a fun week as there is plenty of snow around and you can get to all areas without any problems. The snow parks are open and so is the Air Bag and the Slope style demo is worth watching tomorrow.

The photos from yesterday and today will be posted shortly.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
@snowcrazy Just a vote of thanks from me for your regular reports. I trust you get paid well for the effort. I'm heading out with family and another 15 good friends to Les Arcs on Easter Saturday, and reading about all the fun and games you've been having has done a lot to stoke up the excitement in my family (well, just me really). If this is your job, it's a good 'un. Seems like the conditions will be agreeably good. This is my first time there and I can't wait to explore.
ski holidays
All photos from yesterday in Les Arcs are now posted. The March 2016 Album is now up-to-date. Take a look and see what a great month it has been so far.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.982753908467742.1073741861.195692797173861&type=3&uploaded=89

Today we went to Val Thorens and managed to ski all the Glacier areas and find some nice snow. Even some untracked snow in places.

I will add the photos for today in a new Album later. If you come to Les Arcs and buy the full Paradiski pass you get a free day in the 3 Valleys and Espace Killy. If you have a car it is well worth the effort of going to these other resorts for a day. Report of the day to come later on the Three Valleys thread.

@Blanch62, Pleased you like my posts and no, nobody pays me to do this. I just do it to keep everyone informed about Les Arcs as I think the Paradiski area is such a great place. Hope to see you when you are out later in the month. PM me either here or over on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page if you are interested in meeting up. Hope you have a good holiday.
ski holidays
Arrive on Sunday. No snow in the forecast this week so hoping the pistes are still OK for next week.
latest report
Hi looking for a bit of local knowledge about Peisey:

We are staying in the SkiBeat Chalet Marmotton from 2nd April 16 - Can anybody advise which is the closest/best ski hire shop as I need to hire skis and boots for my Son?

TIA for any help
ski holidays
From the look of the Ski Beat map you are staying in the chalet next to where we have booked with Esprit. The nearest ski hire shop to you should be Intersport Plan Peisey Plan Peisey 73210 Peisey Nancroix. To the right, up a road and in a small shopping centre.

Good prices too. Can't offer advice on quality as I am flying out on Sunday.
snow conditions
@Mike-H, Thanks for that, I had a scout around the maps and came to a similar conclusion. I had quotes for ski hire from SkiBeat and they want nearly as much in pounds as Intersport do in Euros! Needless to say I will be booking my Son's skis on-line Very Happy

Please report back on conditions etc.

Cheers
snow conditions
@Mike-H, you are also but a short walk from Vallandry where SkiSet and SkiRepublic are - I've used them both over the years and both have various offers online
snow conditions
Another small question - I have Les Arcs lift pass cards from 2011, it says they can be recharged on-line. But are they too old now or will they still work?
snow conditions
@CP, Some friends of ours stayed there a couple of weeks ago & had a fantastic time - although I understand the chalet hosts left fairly soon after they did! There is an intersport immediately opposite. Some other friends got a 60%discount on-line from Intersport just down the hill past Sport 2000 (500 metres probably from Marmotton), but I dare say the one opposite will offer the same.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrived yesterday afternoon in Vallandry. After skiing here at Easter for the last 8 years, I have to say, the snow / slopes are in the best condition I ever remember. We had a day and a half on fine firm pistes. The easy off-piste is tracked and rather cruddy in the mornings, but softens up late morning. Happy Days.
latest report
@ringingmaster, make sure you leave some for us for next week please Cool

Avidely watching webcams and based purely on this, it does look better than has been for a few years
snow conditions
Family out next week. Doesn't seem any snow forecast this week but looks like it will be cold enough to hold what is there in place. Just hope there is some fresh when we are in situ. Greedy I know but come on we've suffered the last two Christmas's, it's about time we got the rub Very Happy snowHead Laughing
snow report
Another fine sunny day, going cold and cloudy in late afternoon. Last couple of runs the snow was going crisper. Snow in fabulous condition, and not too many people, out of the main hubs. Couple of stills:

latest report
@Boris, There is plenty of great snow. I cant see it changing unless we get a heatwave.
latest report
If this is to be believed, It's shaping up for a big dump next Monday.
snow conditions
April 9 is travel day for us to LA 1950 - it's soooo late but it's all we could do this year with the schools, turns out Herts. schools are off that week unlike everyone else so we think we got a good deal. I started my skiing career (cough) at Les Arc when I was 7, now I'm taking my children (7 and 5). Skis are at the end of my bed, I cannot wait.

Any tips appreciated - it'll be ecole de ski francais for the little ones and my wife and I getting as much skiing in as possible in between child duties I exepect. Driving to the alps.

Any particular Les Arc related tips appreciated - I've heard about a 7km black run one from the bucket list, unsure if Mrs P will be very happy with that but I might give it a go at the end of the week if I'm feeling brave.

Here's hoping for great late season weather. Snow dance each day, praying to ice gods for another dump or ten before departure day to avoid an April slush-fest <eeek>, realistic though - it's late season after all.

Very Happy
ski holidays
@peaklocation, There is the 2km black (ish) descent from the top of the Aiguille Rouge (3200m) to Villaroger (1200m) that is well worth doing, but the lower sections could be in poor condidtion or closed. I have done it later in the season but to be honest it is not worth going beyond the Plan Des Violettes lift in any case. There are a couple other big descents you could do, for example from the the top of the AR down to pre st esprit gives a drop of 1500m in one go. You really noticed the change in temperature as you go down. Or the 1200m decent from the top of the Grand Col lift down to the same place. If you are feeling particulalry fit try them nonstop.
snow conditions
Thanks for that - good advice by the sounds, I hear you re not dropping below Plan Des Violettes, I'll review the piste map before I go also. Hoping that I'll get to ski with the tots to some extent towards the end of the week if ESF do a good job coaching them... will be their 2nd week on snow.
ski holidays
@peaklocation, the webcams in 1950 are looking pretty good, and so we're all hoping the snow holds - we go for 2 weeks, leaving on Friday so may well see you there. We tend to hang out in George's wine bar of an eve. But I'll admit the atmosphere is variable: - some nights are dead, with just the odd wino in (ahem), some are truly rockin' and memorable. It just depends... but you can order your takeaway pizza from the Vache Rouge next door, and they'll deliver it to you in the bar: service with a smile.

With reference the skiing, even at Easter one of the best runs for the newly initiated is the Mont Blanc blue down to 1600 . Although the top of it has been recently terra-formed, once beyond that and onto the old route, is is simply terrific for the end of 1st week antics - indeed the ski school may well have taken them that way already.
As above, the top of the AR is a black for the first 200, 300 metres, and beyond that is more a red. If the Villaroger link down to Viollettes is not so great you can also stop at the Droset lift to get back.

See you at the bar!
ski holidays
@peaklocation, Just remember that Plan des Violettes is a geographical feature at the top of the lift of the same name. The Droset lift leaves from that point.

I can reinforce @Arctic Roll, comments about mont blanc - it is a beautiful run and usually very quiet. The last few times I have been down it there have only been one or two people on it. If you fancy a more challenging start then deux tetes is a short and steep black run that seems to have been completely forgotten about.

We are off out Thursday night to Arc1600, but only for 8 or 9 days
ski holidays
Another great day. Pistes still in great form. Happy @peaklocation, I second the comments about Mont Blanc run. It was fantastic today: Fast and empty. Also Malgoverts is worth a trip, quite bumpy spectacular today. Over to Le Plagne again tomorrow.

Some pics:

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy