Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

motorbike helmet for skiing

Poster: A snowHead
What would be the reason for not using an open face, motorbike helmet for skiing?

As an example of what I mean, the following link shows an open face motorbike helmet.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/108955

Is there a sweat issue, or temperature issue?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lots of issues, such as weight, temperature, effect of collision with another punter, perhaps peripheral vision. Stupid idea.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Space Helmet much better...
On the same subject I think a Ski Helmet is pretty good on a bicycle rather than those silly bunches of bananas people wear.

But I get funny looks when I but the goggles on, but the kids in te subway think its Kool.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bigtipper wrote:
What would be the reason for not using an open face, motorbike helmet for skiing?

As an example of what I mean, the following link shows an open face motorbike helmet.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/108955

Is there a sweat issue, or temperature issue?

Its a whiplash/broken neck issue. Falling from standing more frequently than from sitting, on a steeper hill (min 10%) rather than a graded road!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i know two people who ski in full face motorcycle helmets ....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Do you have any, evidence for that?

I'd say that the reason people don't ski in those helmets is broadly the same reason they don't drive wearing them.

I'd expect there to be ventilation issues and probably a weight issue.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I once tried a ski helmet on a bike. Awful. Far too hot and enclosed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
philwig wrote:
Do you have any, evidence for that?

I'd say that the reason people don't ski in those helmets is broadly the same reason they don't drive wearing them.

I'd expect there to be ventilation issues and probably a weight issue.

No, I'm surmising from what I knew when I rode a bike a lot.

It is the weight issue: quick google shows http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-helmet-weights M/bike helmets c. 1kg/ 2lbs + heavier than http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Ski-Helmet-Reviews which must make them unfit for purpose of spinning multi bounce falls down a ski slope with that weight torquing your neck around. Experts feel free to tell me I'm wrong or right!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The reason I ask is because I was thinking about using a bike to get to ski resorts. I do not think it is legal to use a ski helmet on a motorbike, even if it is only a 50cc restricted scooter. However, there are no legal restrictions on using a road legal helmet skiing.

This would obviously save carrying a ski helmet as well as a bike helmet.

I'm not aware of legal restictions regarding skis strapped to a backpack on your bike though. I am right here, or is this likely to be an issue with traffic police?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One does see scarcely any motorbikes round ski resorts in winter. But loads in summer. That has to be for a good reason.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
One does see scarcely any motorbikes round ski resorts in winter. But loads in summer. That has to be for a good reason.

Ever seen a m/bike on snow - it brings a whole new dimension to the 1 wheel drive winter tyre thread....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That is true @pam w, but you also do not see many cyclists in winter. I have cycled to a few hills with my skis in a golf trolley attached to the back of my cycle before, which was fine over short distances like 2-5 miles. Over longer distances, I would prefer to save my energy for skiing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bigtipper wrote:
I'm not aware of legal restictions regarding skis strapped to a backpack on your bike though. I am right here, or is this likely to be an issue with traffic police?

And you're worried about which helmet. I think what you are suggesting is that you intend to strap a rudimentary "wing" to your back and take to the autoroute. Yes, I think the cops might take an interest. LOL.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't have the data/ haven't looked a the safety standards/ have not used motorbike helmets but have used helmets driving cars. I would *guess* those would be uncomfortable (weight, ventilation) for skiing. I doubt they'd be less safe, but we'd need more than opinion to settle that.

--
At some small BC resorts it's common for staff to cycle to work, often in ski boots. The last couple of seasons the really fat tyre bikes have started to become popular - those are fun to ride around on packed snow. I can already hear the wails of the safety mavens.

I cycle my track bike to work in UK winters, occasionally in snow, with slick tyres and a fixed gear. If I lived in a ski resort I'd buy the right tool for the job, but here in flatland it's such a rare thing as to be mildly amusing.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Something like the Cratoni Vigor helmet might work. It was designed as a cycle helmet, but meets motorcycle helmet standards, so you should get the ventilation for sking.

However I would just strap a normal ski helmet on my pack with the boots, when riding a bike.
snow conditions
Quote:

However I would just strap a normal ski helmet on my pack with the boots, when riding a bike.

I am thinking of wearing my ski boots on the bike (very solid protection for ankles), salopettes and ski jacket. I am not thinking of driving at more than 30 mph as I do not currently have a full m/bike licence. I do have a full licence for a 50cc bike though, due to historic regulations in the UK for those with full driving licence.

There might be an easier way of clipping the skis to the sides of the scooter/bike. I do not know if this would be better or worse than having them on your back.
snow report
All we ask is, if you do this, photos please!
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
Bigtipper wrote:

And you're worried about which helmet.

Quite! Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
@Bigtipper, this is a joke thread right?

I've riden a motorcycle in the snow - it is no fun at all and I was forced to abandon the bike once the snow began to settle on the road. Any snow (or ice) on the ground and it is virtually impossible to stay upright.

With rigid ski boots you would struggle to safely operate the gear lever and brake.

With skis strapped to your back, you would be 5' wide, likely to hit or be hit as you passed things/ things passed you and even the wind would throw you off balance. You'd be a liability.
ski holidays
Quote:

Bigtipper, this is a joke thread right?

+1

I'm quite amused that Bigtipper is so eager to be able to wear a helmet for skiing. DOn't get me wrong - I wear one - but getting a head injury skiing is one of the more minor risks he would be running!
snow conditions
How about 1 pair on the rack of a BMW, or 2 pairs on a Kawasaki ......

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/my-motorcycle-ski-rack-design.695428/

At least the Kawasaki has the tyres for it.
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:
The reason I ask is because I was thinking about using a bike to get to ski resorts. I do not think it is legal to use a ski helmet on a motorbike, even if it is only a 50cc restricted scooter. However, there are no legal restrictions on using a road legal helmet skiing.

This would obviously save carrying a ski helmet as well as a bike helmet.

This is a brilliant topic, I think you should go for it and something tells me that regardless of what people say you will do whatever you like so I can't wait to see how you get on.
ski holidays
I see no reason why not, go for it.

If you do hit snow on the bike; remember, the front brake is your friend. Hit it hard
snow conditions
Best get a set of these ...

http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/media/catalog/product/9/0/9002199_hp2.jpg

http://nsa11.casimages.com/img/2009/12/19/091219024707812645.jpg

wink
ski holidays
@Mosha Marc, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
I've recently started lane swimming in my Arai Kenny Roberts replica motorbike helmet, I banged my head on the wall doing a tumble turn so thought it best to err on the side of caution. I also wear my arm and leg Kevlar mountain bike body armour for when I do back crawl, my arm banged on the pool side. Starting wearing my rigger boots in there too because someone threw a large rubber brick in and it landed on my toe earlier today. Not as bad as someone else in there though, they were wearing pyjamas, then took them off and then tried to make a float from them, tied knots at the ankles and everything.......lucky I was wearing my hi-viz nylon vest, I'm sure they hadn't seen me as they were pretending to drown......strange behaviour by some people rolling eyes

Starting classes next week on the high 10m board, going to wear my full motorbike leathers too, don't want to risk any grazes on my knees and elbows, just hope the rear airbag doesn't go off on entry......
ski holidays
I am not thinking of travelling on days when snow is on the road, I can wait for the roads to be clear and gritted. I tend not to ski on days when snow is falling, so consequently would not be caught out by a freak storm. Ice is an issue, and I suspect the way to deal with it is to drive at the appropriate speed for the conditions and use gears to slow down rather than brakes.

The biggest danger of course is the drivers on the road who are not experienced in those conditions. Just like the biggest danger on the ski slopes are out of control beginners.

It is still in the early days of a thought, as I do not have a motor bike or a scooter currently. I have driven mopeds, and scooters before, and so I am aware of their dangers. (when I was 18 I had a moped in Majorca for a week. I do not think I had a dry day (alcohol free day) when I was there, and I did not have a helmet.)

Are there any scooters which have gears which are changed on the handlebars next to the throttle, instead of with your ski boots?

Puzzled
ski holidays
Good effort @Bigtipper, Very Happy

More bites then I would have expected!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Riding a decent enduro / trail bike in snow would be no issue at all - having competed in Welsh mountains in deep snow, no probs... Having ridden road bikes in deep snow in the 80's, & ice, snow & sleet over many winters, no probs, you just ride to the conditions... NO sharp movements, hard braking or hard accelerating.

As for riding with skis strapped to your back....Hmmm a big NO NO... A friend broke his back when he came off, with a simple fall but landed on his back, in his back pack was his drinks flask & lock, which broke his back... I've not ridden with a lock over mys shoulder since... Having a pair of bindings banging on your back doesn;t sound a great idea.
Possibly having short skis, held vertical on a pannier style rack, you should be ok - the army carry rifles in a similar way on their bikes... So long as they aren;t stupid high, so as to catch over head cables !!...

I definately would find a motorcycle helmet, too hot & restrictive whilst skiing....I use a ski helmet but no where near as tight a fit as my motorcycle helmets (as the speeds are greater) and it has vents. Not sure over the weight of the helmet, but my road helmet would be too heavy, but my off road one would be light enough, just too hot with no ventilation...

Ski boots, in a pannier or top box, preferably locking, so you can leave your bike boots in, whilst skiing...

As for Ski trousers / salapettes giving the same protection, if you have a simple get off on tarmac, definately not, again - panniers.... I have a set that carry 2 helmets on one side with the same on the other, which would hlold boots / salopettes or just wear your bike trousers whist skiing, there are so many great quality bike trousers out there...

I think it is all plausable....
Would definately need some testing !!
snow report
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Best thread of the summer!
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:
Quote:

I am thinking of wearing my ski boots on the bike (very solid protection for ankles), salopettes and ski jacket. I am not thinking of driving at more than 30 mph as I do not currently have a full m/bike licence. I do have a full licence for a 50cc bike though, due to historic regulations in the UK for those with full driving licence.

There might be an easier way of clipping the skis to the sides of the scooter/bike. I do not know if this would be better or worse than having them on your back.

I just got back from Bali, where scooters are the only way to get around. We had racks on the sides for surfboards, which worked well (excuse the poor instagram photo quality).

Yo do have to watch out for cross winds as boards catch the wind really well, but it was generally not a problem. Similarly in Uganda we used motorbike taxis (boda bodas) to get to the river, with a kayak balanced across our laps. Was fine. Skis should be no problem at all.

HOWEVER, there's no way on earth I'd want to ride a scooter or motorbike on snowy, icy roads. They're dangerous enough just on loose sand or gravel. It'd be suicidal.

ALSO wearing a bike helmet skiing would suck absolute balls. Do you know how heavy those things are?!?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 7-09-15 8:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Bigtipper, there's snow on many roads well after any snowfall and IME local roads aren't gritted or salted.
ski holidays
Don't forget the 50cc scooter won't get up a steep hill into resort as well.

Great thread BTW @Bigtipper,
ski holidays
Quote:

Why not? The slopes are generally very gentle with most less than 10%. I have even seen cyclist riding up (lots of them) including one on a unicycle.
ski holidays
Nothing wrong i guess with exploring it, less clutter the better, i think you'll end up with a light motocross helmet if you really want to have a one jobber, perhaps just buy a ski helmet? save the fight?
snow report
Quote:

Depends how heavy the OP and his gear is. I used to ride a 50cc bike round Swansea, which actually has some quite steep hills. But not a lot of snow..... But I weighed around 130 lbs.
ski holidays
You say you don't have a scooter yet.... Why don't you just drive a car? In trainers.... Then get to resort, park, get out of your car and put your boots on. Leave your trainers in the car until you come back from a lovely day skiing. Then you can get back in your car, and if you are cold pop the heater on, and return home alive. Luckily the car has the added benefit of not needing the helmet... So you can use your standard ski helmet. Ski transportation is also made easy Eire in the car or on the roof......
snow conditions
I am heavier than 130lbs, I think the last time I was that weight was before my teenage years. I usually drive a car to ski resorts. I am thinking of driving a scooter instead. It can avoid traffic jams when there is a big pile up (or if all the cars leave at the same time and cannot get past a junction). It is cheaper to own, and there are no parking problems in resort when the car park is full.

What I am trying to do is limit the additional weight on the bike by not carrying needless items, and not duplicating things like helmets and protective clothing.

Perhaps I should consider a quad bike. They are often seen in resorts for delivering pizza. However, they are not very good on roads. There must be a market for a helmet which can be used on the piste and on the road legally. It must be possible to make a multi use helmet.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 7-09-15 22:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
The time you save being able to zip past some traffic jams will be a lot less than the extra time it takes to drive 900kms on a heavily laden 50 cc scooter.
Quote:

I do have a full licence for a 50cc bike though, due to historic regulations in the UK for those with full driving licence.

How old are you? I had to take a motorbike test to get a full licence despite having a driving licence - and that was in 1967. IIRC a full driving licence was regarded as including a provisional licence to ride a bike. Having passed my test on a lightweight Honda I now, for historical reasons, have all the licence needed to drive one of the biggest beasts on the road. Shocked

Incidentally, a bike such as the Honda 50 actually has a 49cc engine, and I don't think they're allowed on French motorways. Or maybe not on UK motorways either, come to that.

Having driven a 90 cc motorbike on non-speed limited German autobahns in the 60s (even without skis) I can tell you it's not an experience I'd care to repeat.
snow conditions
Quote:

How old are you? I had to take a motorbike test to get a full licence despite having a driving licence - and that was in 1967. IIRC a full driving licence was regarded as including a provisional licence to ride a bike. Having passed my test on a lightweight Honda I now, for historical reasons, have all the licence needed to drive one of the biggest beasts on the road. Shocked

Incidentally, a bike such as the Honda 50 actually has a 49cc engine, and I don't think they're allowed on French motorways. Or maybe not on UK motorways either, come to that.

Having driven a 90 cc motorbike on non-speed limited German autobahns in the 60s (even without skis) I can tell you it's not an experience I'd care to repeat.

https://www.gov.uk/cbt-compulsory-basic-training/cbt-if-you-have-a-car-driving-licence

I passed my car driving licence before 1/2/2001, and so I can drive a moped without L plates and without taking a full motorbike test. I think the reason is historical, because you could always ride a moped if you had a full car driving licence before they introduced CBT and the other rules.

There are not many ski resorts that require you to exclusively drive on motorways. I always avoid motorways in France anyway, due to the tolls.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy