Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

did they bring the camel up each day in the Funiplagne?

I suppose they must have, unless it was stabled at the top somehow. There was a horse box strapped to a sledge around the back, but it would have been a bit cold in there overnight. I don't think a camel would fit through the Funiplagne doors, but there must be a cargo cabin, perhaps they used that.

Quote:

it seems a very friendly and placid camel which I understand is quite unusual

It was a Bactrian rather than a Dromedary, perhaps they're nicer?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alr1970, according to Animal Facts Encyclopedia:
"The camel is not the rude, vulgar and unruly creature of myth, but a stately, noble and amiable servant with some minor personality flaws and a wicked sense of humor."
So now you know. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
New Chairlift ‘Envers’ almost replacing Coqs (In the Montalbert sector) will be a new 6 seater! - It was rumoured to be the 'old' Montalbert village chairlift re-cycled.
https://t.co/ibFFh9dX9l
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The report suggests this lift will be most modern and innovative. Excellent.
Lets hope it all goes to plan.
And then the ghastly chaos of timid beginners forced to go down to La Roche through the narrowing mogulled bottom section can cease.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alr1970 wrote:
Quote:

did they bring the camel up each day in the Funiplagne?

I suppose they must have, unless it was stabled at the top somehow. There was a horse box strapped to a sledge around the back, but it would have been a bit cold in there overnight. I don't think a camel would fit through the Funiplagne doors, but there must be a cargo cabin, perhaps they used that.

Quote:

it seems a very friendly and placid camel which I understand is quite unusual

It was a Bactrian rather than a Dromedary, perhaps they're nicer?

they've got the wrong one! I've just spotted that La Plagne already has a Teleski du Dromadaire. I suppose it now has a Telecabine du Bactrian.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
foxtrotzulu, surely it would have to be Funiplagne du Bactrian Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

New Chairlift ‘Envers’ almost replacing Coqs (In the Montalbert sector) will be a new 6 seater!

I saw the sign at the bottom of Adrets chair and though it was a replacement for that lift.

Do a lot of people stay at Montalbert then? That area seemed quiet last week, but I have to admit everywhere was quiet last week, except for the bottom of Colosses at 4:45 and the Aguille Rouge telepherique on the on Saturday when was the only run in the sun.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The new Envers lift will be manufactured by a new company to ski lifts and a trendy new style... More info here http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm#15_04_16

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Funky looking building. The only difference I can see with the chair itself is that there is a footrest for every person as opposed to each vertical serving two people. Not sure if that's good or bad.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had the most amazing week in la plagne club med had a fantastic guide got to some great places and even had a powder day which was awesome we got to go down Rochu,first tracks all day off Roche de mio,first tracks on the Glacier down through the trees off L'arpette,first tracks under the Inversens lift down into the valley towards Derochoir.
The weather has been amazing for this time of the year and I will be back to this place again loved it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
foxtrotzulu, definitely a good idea.
1. Built in security coz support is between your legs - no more worrying about kids sliding out when they turn round to shout at their mates on chair behind
2. And TWO feet support heights, so Pixies can also sit comfortably Toofy Grin
3. Also a lot more comfortable, which is why when few people lots of us sit bestride the support anyway.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jonpim, Fair points. I did wonder if the pixie foot rests might get in the way of us muggles. One other thought is that the foot rests are now aligned with people's heads as they are raised/lowered. The shared footrest verticals align with the gaps between people. Will that matter?

After spending a week in 3V (mostly Belleville valley) and then a week in LA Plagne it struck me that most of the lifts in LP seem to be rather 'budget' in comparison. No canopies, no magic carpets, no heating etc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@foxtrotzulu, Nothing budget about Montalberts new 11 million euro gondola Toofy Grin
So quick that there is no need for heating, although windscreen wipers would be good snowHead

I guess those new style footrests will keep the snowboarders on La Roche wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, Nothing budget about Montalberts new 11 million euro gondola Toofy Grin
So quick that there is no need for heating, although windscreen wipers would be good snowHead

I guess those new style footrests will keep the snowboarders on La Roche wink

Indeed. It looks very flash.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
foxtrotzulu, wooses and wimps go to 3V
Real men (and real ladies) go to Paradiski Toofy Grin
snow report

And Real camels

I think it says something about the quality of the uplift system when you can manage to get something that size up to 2800 metres.

Not sure how the Orang-utan managed to sneak in the funiplagne (you may need a strange imagination and a few glasses of wine to spot that one).
snow report
The camel looked totally pissed off whenever we saw it and nobody really saw the point of it.
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
foxtrotzulu, wooses and wimps go to 3V
Real men (and real ladies) go to Paradise Toofy Grin

+ One Very Happy
snow report
meander wrote:
The camel looked totally pissed off whenever we saw it and nobody really saw the point of it.

ah yes, a French camel, clearly Toofy Grin
snow report
Don't all camels have a resting bitch-face?
ski holidays
@maggi, see my post above wink
latest report
Some lovely powder snow this morning after yesterday's rain / snow, up to about 10 cms in places with the fresh snow level down to around 1800 metres on the south facing slopes.
It started snowing again around luchtime today with up to another 10cms forecast for tonight and it is currently snowing at 1250 metres in Champagny. Hard to believe we are in the latter part of April.

The camel and goats have disappeared from the top of the Grande Rochette, it seems to coincide with a number of restaurants having end of season barbecues this week.
ski holidays
@skichampcouk, it looked fantastic on the web cams gutted to be home already planning for next year.The left of the Rochu last week Thursday was amazing my favorite run there.
snow report
I thought the camel (we were told she was called 'Camelia') looked happy and very pretty. She happily posed for photos and seemed to understand what was wanted of her. She could be a bit of a prima donna by all accounts! The point of it was that it was meant to be a bit surreal (thus pointless...) but it also promoted Russia, hence the free black tea, Russian music etc... It was a real talking point and drew people when we were there and I loved it when I bumped into my 6 year old son up there, as his instructor had taken him up there just to see it. He then had to ski back to 1800, which was pretty tricky for him - but he had the best day ever!
snow conditions
@daveyladboy, fantastic your lad skied down from up there and he had a great time and we all did including our guide think it was pretty pointless but as long as people got there pictures with it and went away smiling.
latest report
reports say around a foot of snow in the past 24 hours. View from Bergerie webcam looks great. Now we just need the temps to stay below freezing until December rolling eyes
snow conditions
@ukredsox, Yes, the view from the Becoin is pretty good at the moment as well, even a decent amount of snow in Champagny village this morning.

During the last week of the season there was still plenty of snow around and in excellent condition considering how late in April it was. Normally we spend the last week or two of the season decorating or DIYing but this year we preferred the skiing.
latest report
Construction of the new Envers chairlift is cleared.
http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=101007&sid=adb3614ef46ae7863217e2e56f2ec83d#top
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
More news on the '10 year' plan posted today (23 june 2016) here: http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm

Google translate gives little away about the hard facts - lots of if's and buts etc but seems broadly in line with the previous 10 year plan announced. They want to spend €220m on the area at least.

Interesting fact I spotted was that the spend includes about €1m a year on 'making snow'.
snow report
@chopkins13, Also in there it seems to suggest a new way of getting to the glacier is proposed, TC3000. Which looks like a closer to the ground solution to allow more opening days.
snow report
boredsurfin, I'm pretty certain TC300 was in the original 5-year plan.
Every time we go up on the glacier gondola, we've been wondering just where the new pistes will go: how will you get down from Roche de Mio?
However, I don't remember TSF retour Inversens from the old 5-year.
If that is to bring you back to the Crozats sector from the bottom of Inversens, then its an excellent idea.
latest report
Hi @Jonpim, the new "run" will go off to the right of the existing glacier gondola (as you look at the glacier), there is already a track that allows access to the glacier, it will snake around the edge below the couloir de cable before crossing under the existing route of the cable car and on down to the bottom of the chalet de bellecote chair lift, which is where the new TC3000 will leave from.
I don't think the run will be much more than a link.
latest report
Jonpim, You need to do a summer trip Very Happy There are lots of potential runs based on the tracks in that area. At the same time as looking for routes, you will notice Ibex, goats, cows! and if lucky an eagle or two. Of course, you shouldn't miss out on a visit to the Ice Grotto in the glacier Very Happy
If you walk over to the area near the top of Bergerie you can visit the Fromargereie (sp) and also the pig farm!
snow report
@Charliee, do you think the new piste down from roche de mio to the tc3000 will be blue or red?
ski holidays
Thank you Charliee. Your route sounds sounds rather boring.
And such a pity that the wonderful Chalet de Bellecote area looks like being abandoned - so many fun off-piste route down from the old chair. To go all the way up to the glacier is A Faff Too Far. They could have just replaced the Chalet de Bellecote chair. Though it was a fun chair - anyone else here fallen off it? Embarassed
ski holidays
Hi @chopkins13, I'm guessing but assume it will be a blue.
Hi @Jonpim, the new cable car is due to leave from the base of the Chalet de Bellecote chair so there will be no change. They need to start down there so that the Rochu area is still useable.
You can still use Rosset if the new route is too boring.
snow report
Charliee, I understand where the new lifts will start. But Chalet de Bellecote was a lovely quiet backwater area, largely ignored by skiers charging straight up to the Glacier or back again to Roche de Mio. Now all-and-sundry will be ploughing through.
Hey Ho. At least the Powersthatbe have sorted the mistake of removing Coqs and realised the mistake of removing Vega.

This recent season early on with the miserly snowfall and warm weather demonstrated the problem of only one way out of 2000 back to Plagne Centre: it was soon a mud-slide rather than snow-piste. There was clearly the need of a lift from bottom of 2000 complex over towards Becoin. Remeber, you heard it hear first snowHead
latest report
Couple of update pictures on the work for the new Envers lift in La Plagne over here: http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm

I see they've decided to keep the new lift's colour scheme in keeping with recent additions such as Clossess and go for a black/red combo seat colours.

Looks like a reasonable amount of earth moving work undertaken so far to accommodate the new lift station.
snow conditions
I visited the lower half of the La Plagne area yesterday to climb at falaise de notre-dame du pre, which is a short distance from Montalbert . There were a couple of drag lifts beside the road between the two villages. I cannot recall any skiing in that area. Has anyone skied in that area?
ski holidays
@johnE, Notre dame du pre is connected by road to Longefoy which is the village just below Montalbert. As you saw NDduP has a couple of drags maybe 3 even. Also a bar/restaurant. Locals have been known to ski off piste from Montalbert down to the village but it is not connected to La Plagne or Montalbert. Details here http://www.savoie-mont-blanc.com/en/offre/fiche/notre-dame-du-pre/72217 There is another little village called Granier on the other side of the valley that has a couple of lifts. http://www.savoie-mont-blanc.com/en/offre/fiche/granier-sur-aime/77518
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy