Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
That sort of courtroom is what I want to see next week. Need the wide motorway blues when riding a sit ski with my daughter. Please give me a wide berth.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm out in La Plagne for a couple of days. Yesterday was beautiful - sunshine, great visibility, wonderful views. Snow is pretty good really. Spring conditions. Pistes are mostly excellent, albeit quite soft at the end of the day down low. There's some good off piste skiing to be had, but you'd have to know where to look. Arnaud from Oxygène took us to some good places.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Really looking forward to visiting La Plagne next week, staying in Belle Plagne. We went at Christmas and for beginners skiing on ice, put my wife off. Where is the best beginnings piste to start please, ideally green, possibly blue? wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The shoulder of the mountain between Belle Plagne and Plagne Centre is largely blue and a good place to start. It's nice and open too, which helps the confidence when you don't have crowds whizzing past on either side.

Once you have a bit more confidence, I'd recommend the pistes down towards Champagny to the bottom of the Verdons lift. We went down there quite a lot last year with the kids, youngest was 7 then. The pistes down towards the Vanoise Express are good too, but can get a bit slushy at this time of year.

I wouldn't rush out the second the lifts open with a beginner at this time of year. The pistes will be very icy first thing but soften up later.

We're going on Friday, too, staying at Belllecote. Hope the weather's as good as last year: a good snowfall just before we arrived and sunshine most of the week.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boredsurfin, how i wish i was still there Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree that the blues down from Roche de Mio towards Champagny are perfect. I'd advise against the runs from Les Verdons or LA Grande Rochette down to the same area. They are much harder, even Bozelet.

From Roche de Mio take Levasset and then you can spend a happy time playing on all the easy blues either side of the Rossa lift. Perfect for beginners. On the way home you can take Le Tunnel back down from RdM. Always a giggle.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @air1970 and all, appreciated.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, after yesterdays perfect piste and wall to wall sunshine and clear skies, today is low cloud poor vis with the cloud swirling in and out of the valleys, steady fine snow started at lunchtime and changed to sleet as we descended into Montalbert.
Lots of 'first day' skiers and loads and loads of kids have appeared. Managed to get around without using to many major lifts, however, really missing Leitchoums drag lift, it was such a good short cut.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As we approached the Quillis chairlift we heard a helicopter in the clouds and then saw the Gendarmerie helicopter come into land, (the same spot my wife was airlifted from last season)
[img]http://youtube.com/v/8V_5_HsRpF4[/img]

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 27-03-16 15:47; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Greetings boredsurfin, are you out all week?
Still snow here in 1800, and was still snow just an hour ago down at La Roche - hope that sleet disappeared from Montalbert.
And didn't the forecasters get this one wrong.
All the ones i look at - meteoexploration, meteoblue, wepowder - all had the sun peeking out this afternoon and about 3cm of snow. Well, its whiteout out there just now, and the heavy snow that started at lunchtime continues. its also quite cold.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jonpim, Hi, here until Tuesday. Weather was odd today the France Meteo forecast from BstM had it almost right... http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210
Cloudy but dry here now, but rain on the 'overpisted' stadium has led it to turn muddy brown...however, there is a stream across it in the summer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Still snowing hard up here in 1800.
Any chance of meeting up some time tomorrow?
(though i must admit i left the hobnobs - it was a bumper packet - at home Sad )
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jonpim, Hi, I'm doing a quick trip to GVA tomorrow, so Tuesday?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tuesday? Fine if snowing - was planning to meet old friend in Montchavin (used to run Tabac in 1800), but she's strictly fair-weather skier. Hope your Geneva trip goes ok.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jonpim, trip was fine, although one of those roadside cameras seemed to take a pic of me as I past Confused
PM me your mobile no, and I'll txt you in the morning?
snow conditions
Snowing again. snowHead
And some sites predict more tomorrow - though with temperatures rising, those low down the hill may get rain . . . Sad
snow report
Cloudy day with a period of sustained snow.
latest report
Getting excited now for second trip of season (v rare for me). this time with family and kids. You may see me riding a sit ski with my eldest daughter. It likely to be me if wearing a coloured bib and with supershape magnums on my feet. Give me a wide berth (and indeed all sit skiers) Very Happy
ski holidays
Super day.
About 5cm snow overnight above about 1450m, and then the sun came out. Wonderful snowHead
Lots of soft fluffy snow about above 2300m, but heavy below, with popular pistes polished shiny and hard.
But best of all, got to meet boredsurfin and some of his family. Excellent company.
Forecasts suggest gonna warm up from now on, but should be some sun tomorrow.
Could make from some interesting pistes - be careful out there.
ski holidays
Interesting day weather wise skiing back down to Montalbert late afternoon was odd, the natural snow was very heavy and sticky making it challenging to ski but the manmade snow was very easy to ski! Got back to find the temperature on the balcony was 11c but had been as high as 14c!
It was great to finally meet and ski with Jonpim, and his better half, after many years of talking about meeting up! Shall try and do it again at Xmas / New Year / January snowHead
I see two days of sunshine forecast just as I'm leaving!
snow report
As boredsurfin says: "interesting weather". Total contrast start to finish.
Day started cold with snow on roads and trees and balcony.
Ended warm with rain - washed all the lovely white stuff away Sad
Looking a bit better today - at least i can see the odd bit of blue.
Hey ho. We deal with what we get.
snow report
A warm stong wind struck today.
Closed all the upper lifts.
Result was that by 11am there was a massive melee at Bellecote where the 3 queues - Arpette, Blanchette, Colosses - merged into one.
Not for us. We took the bus back to Plagne Centre and whizzed over to Montalbert which was largely empty and the pistes were full of fun. Lovely crepe in the Trapeurs cafe at the bottom. Met some nice people. A good day snowHead
snow conditions
@Jonpim, Glad Monty was OK, it looks horrendous on the webcam!
snow report
How are the pistes down to the Vanoise Express and on the Les Arcs side? Trying to decide whether to get full Paradiski passes for next week. Thanks.
ski holidays
alr1970 wrote:
How are the pistes down to the Vanoise Express and on the Les Arcs side? Trying to decide whether to get full Paradiski passes for next week. Thanks.

Pistes above Les Coches are still in good nick as they are on the Les Arc side. However the temperature seems to be doing us no favours over the next few days. But I have seen it a hell of a lot worse.
ski holidays
Arriving in 1800 tomorrow...
snow report
Arriving in Belle Plagne tomorrow....
snow conditions
Arriving in Montchavin tomorrow.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arriving Montchavin tomorrow
latest report
Lunching in Plagne Centre now. Good spring conditions, but lots of chairs closed because of the wind.
snow report
Very soft and slushy by lunch time across most of La Plagne where we skied today. Many higher lifts closed due to wind so had to return to Les Arcs early or risk being stuck later on the wrong side of the Vanoise Express. Full report of today and photos on my Les Arcs Winter page. See Link below.
snow conditions
Well, i'm on Eurostar, waiting to leave Paris, so Goodbye to La Plagne for another season. Has been fun.
Conditions forecast to be warm up to Friday, then temperature might plummet and some snow could fall.
Or not.
We decided come the last few days that whatever the weather forecast didn't mention was what was going to happen.
Often right.
Hope you all have a tour round the various Sublicimes: Roche de Mio, top of Arpette, Becoin, top of Montalbert, Grand Rochette, top of second chair above Borseliers (can't rememer name).
They're promising a camel at Grand Rochette. Lots of bouncy fun at Roche de Mio. Big kiddy area at Montalbert. And hot tub at Arpette - really want to see how the works out. snowHead
snow conditions
Phew! Best day so far this week, with every condition possible bar powder. A frost overnight had hardened everything up above about 1500m.

The lifts to Roche do Mio were open this morning so with the kids in ski school we had a couple of rides down the red Inversens which was in wonderful condition: hard but not sheet ice and smooth. Plus the light was better, even some sun. The wind picked up though and it was freezing on some lifts, plus the joy of wondering if you're going to grind to a halt on the downhill parts.

After lunch we ventured down to Les Roches where it was super slushy, my first proper water-skiing, across the corner of a tennis court to boot! We stayed higher for the rest of the afternoon, and I was pleased to find that the off-piste had softened marvelously, really like heavy powder. Look forward to more of that tomorrow.
snow report
Lots of low fog coming and going today around the resorts, very thick in places. Clearer higher up, and a tiny bit of fresh snow overnight. Enough to squeak this morning but churned into the base by now. Still mild, and no wind, which makes a change. Looking colder for the end of the week, Hope it brings a bit more fresh with it.
latest report
Really poor visibility at lunchtime...
ski holidays
And still a bit misty at Grand Rochette this morning, but there really is a camel up there!
http://winter.la-plagne.com/live-info/webcams.html
Wonderful.
and the rotating knock-you-over thingy at Roche de Mio looks fun but exhausting - anyone tried it?
snow conditions
@Jonpim, It was a beautiful day after a bit of a cloudy start then the cloud came back in around 4pm.

The camel has been there most days, it seems a very friendly and placid camel which I understand is quite unusual. Most of them usually get the hump at some point.

Not done the rotating thing yet, maybe next week when the Easter holiday crowds have disappeared.

There will be a load of top French skiers around La Plagne tomorrow, they offered 40 members of Edenski the chance to ski around with them tomorrow and the opportunity was snapped up almost instantly.
They are holding a fete in their honour in Plagne centre from 4pm tomorrow - Kevin Rolland, Julien Lizeroux, Ben Valentin, Brice Roger, Loic Costerg, Antoine Adelisse, Maxence Muzaton will be there.

Looks like they could be bringing some snow with them as well.

[/img]
snow report
Quote:

Looks like they could be bringing some snow with them as well.

Snow dust falling all morning, maybe a cm accumulation on the frozen slush of yesterday. Totally clouded in across most of the resort, haven't been very low yet today. Hope for.some more snow later but it all looks stuck on the Italian side on the radar.
ski holidays
I do not normally make double posts, but as people follow what happens in La Plagne. Here is my report from the Bellecote today. With some very sad news. My thoughts are with the French family.

10 April 2016. A day on the Bellecote North Face with Blue sky and not a cloud in sight. Take a look at the photos already posted in the new April 2016 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page if you are interested in our routes.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1011087338967732.1073741865.195692797173861&type=3

A day that started well with nice snow in the Bellecote bowl and mixed conditions down our route on the North Face.

But finished very sadly when we saw a rescue and heard that a French man had fallen on the cliffs below us and had not made it. Please go to the following link if you want further info instead of asking me for more details about the accident. Thanks.

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2016/04/10/un-skieur-hors-piste-est-decede
snow conditions
skichampcouk, did they bring the camel up each day in the Funiplagne? That would have been fun.
Presume he's now gone . . .
Pity to miss the Sublicime again this year - it seems they set it up for the Locals rather than Easter Crowds.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy