Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Motion Sickness

Poster: A snowHead
Is this a common experience whilst skiing and is there a remedy? it affects me when visibility is very poor and its difficult to pre-judge the incline of the slope. Is it an age thing? As an over 50, I mentioned it to a colleague of the same age who admitted he'd suffered from it recently for the first time. When in Lech a few days ago, an experienced skiier with over 40 years on the slopes said that he'd also been afflicted for the first time. Perhaps its fear related and I wonder if travel sickness pills would do the trick if they don't induce drowsiness!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin Bell, In my experiance, during very poor visability this is quite normal. Basically your eyes can't tell your brain what's going to happen next, but your legs do, and thus gets confused causing motion sickness.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin Bell, For me, it happens like this... The sky is grey white, so is the snow, I can't see much further than my skis..but I'm still moving. My brain says...which way is up, my eyes fail to provide the answer..I fall over Very Happy
My personal solution, keep on doing it, ski in the lousiest weather, if I get dizzy, I close my eyes briefly, and let my other senses take the decision...no I'm not moving quickly!. The feeling passes, and I carry on, slowly Very Happy
I would worry that travel sickness pills may work differently at altitude, maybe worth checking out.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
xx

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 25-04-16 21:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I get motion sickness sometimes in poor visibility. I also get it when I'm diving. I took (non drowsy) sea sickness tablets to stop me feeling sick on the dive boat, and found it also stopped me feeling sick whilst driving. So I'll give it a a go next time I'm skiing in poor vis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin Bell,

I've sufered badly from car-sickness in the past, and others in the family have had severe mal-de-mer. Not wanting to take sedatives we tried out 'sea-bands' - basically wrist-bands with a hard pressure point which you locate over the soft part of your inner wrist. I have no idea of why this would have any effect (accupressure?) but I can tell you they work like a charm. My daughters face went from pale green to pink 10 minutes after putting them on. They cost about £5.00, and you can get them from Sainsbury's (and lots of other places). I'd say they were worth a try as the one thing they definitely won't do is make you drowsy. Skiing + Tranquilisers = nose plant. Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FastCarver, snowbunny, slikedges, AxsMan, thanks - really good info and advice. I think the issue is also not helped by goggles because my peripheral vision is reduced. I think also that fear may have a part to play. Interestingly, I often get severe travel sickness on outward bound journeys, particularly on planes and buses, but rarely on the return. AxsMan, I shall give the 'sea bands' a go.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As someone that suffer from motion sickness almost in every situation, i also get it sometime when i ski. My self, i rather avoiding most of the common drogs, no matter how cheap they are, because they are so unhealthy. not long ago i did found s product that helps me called motion cure. You wear it around you neck, so it can even worm you while sking Smile. any ways, it really help me, so maybe you should give it a try. this is the link of your intrested: http://www.amazon.com/New-Motion-Cure-Alleviating-Environments/dp/B018P6YX8U/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1453373675&sr=8-26&keywords=motion+cure&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stugeron +1

I've used this for offshore sailing, everyone's different but I don't know of anyone who's been adversely affected, and didn't impair the racing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snower5, That looks like pure unrefined snake oil.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@T Bar Far from it. Its just somthing that i found working for me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Such a high tech product that the marketing department can't even get the spelling right on Amazon, neither can you here I smell SPAM..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm with T Bar on this one Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a bit of an old rally navigators trick, but Ginger might be worth a go. Suck on bit of crystallized ginger - it combats the nausea. Worked for me, and navving a rally car is about a sure fired a way to get motion sick as there is.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
T Bar wrote:
Such a high tech product that the marketing department can't even get the spelling right on Amazon, neither can you here I smell SPAM..

Surely not, it has very good reviews, 5 very glowing ones. Highly recommended!! (allegedly)
ski holidays
$150 for negative magnets? - Not sure if its spam, but it's certainly baloney.
ski holidays
I did like the comments from folks who'd used it on cruise ships.

It's not far short of a neck brace in size. I suppose it could sort of work a bit like a tens machine. Maybe.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy