Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French service- excellent stuff

Poster: A snowHead
I remember once being in a Restaurant in France. We didn't like the wine!! We said it to the waiter. He changed the wine for us! He didn't charge us for first bottle. He actually smiled. I think he was genuinely pleased we ended up enjoying meal and wine while we paid the bill (only 100 euro for two of us).

Fantastic service in France. Unbeatable really
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@peanuthead, we had a similar experience in a very nice 2* Michelin restaurant. They poured us a glass of wine each as part of the meal. Our bottle was corked. It was changed without even a blink of the eye.
wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have generally (though not always) found French restaurant service good. However I don't think I'd have put the word 'only' in front of '100 Euros for two of us.' I guess it all depends on your perspective. Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I don't think I'd have put the word 'only' in front of '100 Euros for two of us.'

Nor I......
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
depends on the standard of wine and food.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hells Bells, indeed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whereas, in Ireland, I find service poor and the locals have a serious failure of the sense of humour.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wink You must be rude to find that in Ireland. Maybe you just didn't tune in correctly? Or perhaps that's irony which I'm missing in the text.

In France I've always been treated well, although the etiquette is of course, er, French.
The main problem is convincing them that although I'm English I don't want my food over-cooking.
The second problem is food poisoning, where I'm afraid French Ski resorts are at the top of my list. You probably don't want the details...
.. but you haven't lived until you've taken the lift down from the top of Les Deux Alpes sitting on a bucket, thanks to them serving last-season's chocolate moose on opening day. On the plus side the French doctors were brilliant and it didn't cost me a penny, even the bucket was free.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philwig wrote:
but you haven't lived until you've taken the lift down from the top of Les Deux Alpes sitting on a bucket, thanks to them serving last-season's chocolate moose on opening day.

Or maybe they just got the mousse out of the wrong bucket.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@philwig, Blimmin Elk & Safety rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@philwig, clearly I have a poor sense of irony.

I can't think of anywhere that I haven't found generally lovely service. You find great people wherever you look.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
Whereas, in Ireland, I find service poor and the locals have a serious failure of the sense of humour.

I think the service is alright and you get used to the sense of humour. But the skiing is complete shoite
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, @peanuthead, I found that too, snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I tend to find that the nicer I am the better the service gets. If I do get off to a poor start I find the service improves immensely if I apologise. And it works the other way round: when I'm working with clients I feel less inclined to be nice to the ones who are spoiling my day and quite keen to help the ones who are helping me enjoy myself.
snow report
Yes I agree. If you get off to a poor start by complaining about the starters, apologise straight away. Do not spoil the staff's day by pointing out they put the wrong dressing on your salad. Just grimace, eat it, say it was superbe, and you might get a smile with main course
snow conditions
That said, after sales service in French supermarkets on white goods is generally difficult to awful.

Darty being a standout exception of great service however.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 7-09-15 7:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Although had to have a good argument in Darty last week to get a refund on a friends combination microwave. I'd taken her earlier and she'd been told it was suitable for the gap in her kitchen. On opening it was obvious it wasn't. Didn't want to refund as box had been opened, they did eventually but we couldn't have managed without an English speaking assistant.

Found service good in general and I've been doing a lot of shopping around Grenoble for the last 3 weeks or so.
snow report
@Claude B,
I have used Boulanger for dishwasher, fridge and TV. The dishwasher broke down after nearly 2 years and when I got out the paperwork to see if I could take it somewhere to get it fixed was pleasantly surprised to find it was guaranteed for 2 years, dropped it off with them and they replaced most of the internals and collected it back 3 days later. Very good explanations etc, from the service guy. Standard guarantee on the same item in the UK is 1 year. The 2 year thing seems to be more common in France ?
By the way did not contact you again last month as decided to give the glacier a miss when we kept seeing that big cloud sat on it every morning Sad
ski holidays
skitow wrote:
@Claude B,
y. Standard guarantee on the same item in the UK is 1 year. The 2 year thing seems to be more common in France ?

Sale of goods act says you have up to 6 years in the UK.

I suspect the OPs were joking about French service which is pretty awful in general. A typical example. A friend took his Audi into the Chambery VAG dealership last month for a service and for them to correct a fault with an airbag warning light. Service was 1000 euros (well it is an Audi) but light was still faulty. "oh year, we didn't have time to do that, can you rate us here?" Friend gives them "satisfactory", well they did the service at least. VAG person explodes in rage "we need very good, it is outrageous, don't ever bring your car back here, it is an insult". My friend explains they didn't do what he asked him, they didn't phone him and now he has to book the car in for another day to fix the fault.

He had to go to the UK on business, goes into a VAG dealership. They are half an hour with the car on the computer. "It seems to be a software or sensor fault, we've upgraded the car and reset the sensor, it seems fine now". How much? "Oh don't worry about that sir, enjoy your stay in the UK".
latest report
I have a service engineer coming to look at a fault with my John Lewis dishwasher this afternoon. I would most definitely not want to take it anywhere. The standard warranty on an own-brand appliance from JL is 3 years and it wasn't expensive (or I wouldn't have bought it, I don't believe you get what you pay for in domestic appliances - my daughter in law has Miele washing machines and they seem to break down a lot more frequently than mine - though TBH she does more washing than I do).
latest report
I have experienced excellent (and cheap) service from a marine engineer in France in the last few weeks and have always been happy with plumbers/electricians too - having had to call out a few for friends who are absentee landlords. We have a domestic appliance place in the village which is good, too - I have left a key with them in the past and had them replace a cracked ceramic hob and the guy sorted out the dishwasher door when he was at it. He also came and replaced a broken heating element in my oven when I was laid up with fractured pelvis and confined to barracks. Their appliances are more expensive than a big supermarket in the valley but it's so much easier just to let them sort out the problems. They speak zero English but will listen patiently to my mangled explanations about the problem.

White goods seem generally cheaper in the UK.
snow report
We buy our appliances in France through our local Gitem/Euronics. Many of the larger places in Grenoble and even Gap will not deliver to our area. Euronics are a bit more expensive, but they have excellent delivery (within a couple of hours of purchase last time) and a very good repair service.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy