Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My tips waver.

Poster: A snowHead
OK. to give my details :
Rossignols X Fight 40 (prime suspects!)
Dalbello boots (secondary suspects)
170cm skis
15 stones
6 feet tall
Medium to fast
Piste mainly
Red/Black
Both short and long turns in control.
ps. won't have anything said re Omesofts, brilliant skis, have 6 Golds to prove it.
I have a pic of my Head compacts 195 performing, they are not wavering!
Will try to send out.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@edgy1, Thx for posting that. I think your skis must be the X Fight 400....but even then, I can't find any info on them - so:
- How old are they
- What Sidecut and Turn Radius (should be written on them)
- What level skier are they aimed at

Sorry for all the questions, but it helps paint a picture of your kit. If the skis are quite old, getting something modern with more shape and a tighter turn radius, might not improve matters ie if the technique to tap into their carving design, is not there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Fartbag, This doesn't make any sense to me, but...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=238168

jtr wrote:
I think that the Actys 100, 200, 300 skis are the same, or at least very similar to, the X-Fight 4th, 3rd, 2nd (the sequence is reversed) range with different graphics. The X-Fight 400 and 600s, which aren't mentioned in the Rossignol site, look like Actys 100 and 200s respectively (or X-Fight 4ths and 3rds, if you prefer!).

The X-Fight 4th, 3rd, 2nd skis seem to be marketed in Germany (Ski-bilek and others) and the X-Fight 400/600s in the UK.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Penry, Just spotted this by RobinS from 2009:
"I had Rossi X-Fight 400 skis as my first skis, fine for then, but too soft and floppy once you get better - definitely a beginner/low intermediate ski. Myself and MrsS both have Orion skis for the dry slope, I have Hyper Carvs and she has Space Carbons, got those new for £160 each from www.skiorion.com and have been pleased with them, though we are using them just as plastic slope skis. They are both a better performance ski than the X-Fights."
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You need new ski's. At 86 it's time to blow that excess cash and enjoy life!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for that ! I knew I needed new skis all along (these are only about 4/5 years old, from the start they reminded me of some I had to put up with when I had my original Heads 195 stolen, they were all the hire shop had left. I was told they had just been used by a famous TV star the week before. I saw him on the box later, he was about 5' 6").
I think I need 185's with some decent edges etc., but what make ??
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

might be old age (86)

You're a hero!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
edgy1 wrote:
I was told they had just been used by a famous TV star the week before.

Ah, that old line Happy

edgy1 wrote:
I saw him on the box later, he was about 5' 6").

Tom Cruise?

edgy1 wrote:

You are 1.83m (6 foot) so I'm not sure why you think you need 185's. I am 10cm taller and ski about that. As to what make, well that is a matter of personal preference. And I as I use a single all mountain ski I'm probably not the best to comment anyway.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I see a post of mine regarding the Rossignol X-Fights has been quoted and described as not making any sense but, assuming it is not too intellectually challenging for some, these skis appeared under a number of guises via different distribution channels. Wrt the X-Fight 400 specifically, I tried a pair out of curiosity and thought they were OK in soft stuff but absolutely awful in hard or icy conditions. IIRC, they were marketed around 2006 but didn’t have a very long life span.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's not a question of intellectual challenge @jtr, but knowledge of context; I didn't have it but I assumed @Old Fartbag would.

Not often a twelve year old post gets quoted, not deliberately anyway.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
edgy1 wrote:

I think a length of 177-180 would work for a Piste Ski....but only a ski test would confirm. Different brands may work well in different lengths, depending on dampness/stability.

I find it very hard to recommend a ski.....but saying that, you might consider the Scott Black Majik:
https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski_set/scott/black_majic_freeski_120_black_85mm-83191.html

These skis have a touch more width and don't have too squirrelly a sidecut 122/78/112 and 16m @ 177. They should prove light, stable (at sensible speeds) and playful. They should prove light, stable (at sensible speeds) and playful. If you like a stiff, damp ski - look elsewhere eg. Volkl/Blizzard or K2/Dynastar/Rossignol/Head

Ideally, you need to try some while in resort, as it's much easier to come to a decision on brand and length.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had a pair of Black Majiks, good skis, but they have a lot (like a whole foot!) of front rocker that does tend to flap a bit, especially at speed and double especially when going straight & fast.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tubaski wrote:
I had a pair of Black Majiks, good skis, but they have a lot (like a whole foot!) of front rocker that does tend to flap a bit, especially at speed and double especially when going straight & fast.

Recommending skis for an 85 year old, is difficult.....maybe some with as close to a full camber as possible, would work better. Though the Black Magics would be quite versatile in a range of conditions.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@edgy1, I used to have a pair of Rossi B2's, great ski to learn on but then the core started breaking down, they went too soft and the tips used to waver about. Setting the edges to 3 degrees helped with the resultant chattering on hard pack but I was very glad when I got new skis.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My local ski shop has pointed out a good deal on the following at the moment;
Salomon Mens X-Max X10 with bindings. 176cm
Would be grateful for any advice as to their suitability for me. Just to recap my details:
H 183: Wt 95: Good Intermediate, piste ski-ing for many years.
ski holidays
@edgy1, for £225 they look good to me based on your height and weight. I think they'll be a fairly stiff ski...

https://www.nevisport.com/salomon-mens-x-max-x10-ski-salomon-xt12-c90-binding?gclid=CjwKCAiAoqXQBRA8EiwAIIOWsvv84oaYsyfZYmSEwdjg7ZzEmNb5o3ElJFzSS1CgT8WWUqjLSn8SFhoCiNYQAvD_BwE#color=White&size=176
latest report
Thanks for quick reply, they seem good at that price to me.
Now, if I change my boots next, I'll know it's me after all !!
Will keep you posted next year.
snow conditions
edgy1 wrote:
Phew ! most impressed with all the replies, must say I thought the post might not be picked up after all this time.
Had almost convinced myself that it was the skis (I've never had trouble on the "older" types), might be old age (86)
I did a week last year with the GBSki Club on an 'Improvement Course', there was a woman there also mid 80's and she was fab! Better than several of the younger men on the course. We called her Super Gran. Laughing It just showed you can carry on until you drop. Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 19-11-17 11:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Thanks for that. I've always looked forward to retirement, work was beginning to intrude!
I can now get on with things I never had time for, would have liked to have met Super Gran (not so sure about the nick-name for her!!!)
latest report
@edgy1, you are an inspiration to me. Having come back to skiing two years ago when I was 71 after a nearly 30 year gap you have persuaded me it’s worth investing in my own kit instead of relying on hired stuff.

Look forward to meeting you on a bash sometime
snow report
Hi Rabbie, thanks for that. I'm looking to buy Salomon X Pro 90 boots, being a Yorkshire-man can't help searching for a discount, no luck yet, might have to squander some of their inheritance!! Intend ski-ing in Passo Tonale next year again, nice little resort.
regards
ski holidays
Having also just returned to skiing after at least a 30 year gap I feel positively juvenile reading this at only 55.
snow conditions
edgy1 wrote:
Phew ! most impressed with all the replies, must say I thought the post might not be picked up after all this time.
Had almost convinced myself that it was the skis (I've never had trouble on the "older" types), might be old age (86)
Many thanks to all.
ps: if any-one remotely thinks that better boots/skis would be any help I'd be in the market to renew.

You have my total respect sir. I started skiing this year at the tender age of 62 and thought, if lucky, I may have a ten year window max before I was probably tool old. It’s great to think I could possibly enjoy skiing for another 20 years. You are an inspiration. I can’t help with your technique or which skis to buy. I’ll leave that to the experts.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy