Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2015/2016

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, booked first trip in 10 years to Avoriaz a few weeks ago. Have precious memories of holidays there pre-kids. Was so excited, but now getting a bit freaked about the weather forecast - rain every day! Skiing lessons booked for the kids 6 mornings so we get chance to do a bit of boarding. Do you think we need to prepare ourselves for a different type of holiday? We'll make the most of it whatever, but would rather go mentally prepared than be disappointed....?! Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I only did a few hours above Nyon yesterday as I have a stinking cold and am really unwell but the pistes were very much to my liking and hardly anyone around
The rest of the group went out today towards Les Gets and had a great time.
It's raining heavy here now.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@itsbeenawhile, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
It's not raining this morning in Les Gets and the sun is trying to come out with glimpses of blue sky. Very soft snow even at the top of the Ranfoilly lift first thing. We have some lovely SHs visiting from La Giettaz so all meeting up for lunch later, I have left the male members of the party while they head off to the Chamossiere.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi guys how is the PDS holding up? Just wondering if the rain has caused much damage?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Sunshine81, I haven't skied in LG since Wednesday. We had a probable last round of the circuit at Roc d'Enfer with some friends on Thursday morning. That was still quite doable although the final run down to the gondola was pretty soft. Friday morning we had a much better time than expected at Praz de Lys/Sommand although not PDS of course. I think it's the temperature in equal measure with the rain that has done damage as it has been very warm and where we are at about 1260 it's been about 3C in the morning.
Last day for Mt Chery tomorrow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Pamski, thanks for the update. I head to Avoriaz at this time every year for a last blast. Some years have been epic (knee deep pow and my word it was oh so good...) and some years downloading on lifts. Either way I love being out in the mountains with my pals Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Devastated that Mont Chery closes today, runs were still in good nick and we had the red off down the side entirely to ourselves. Lovely lunch and a nice bottle of house red in La Grande Ourse to finish off the skiing.

The black Myrtilles in the Les Gets bowl was pisted this morning, so we got some good footage for eldest daughter's GCSE PE practical on it. When pisted, it's not as hard as the Arbis red IMHO.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If it snows next week (a couple of forecasts say it will snow Thursday/Friday), will they reopen the closed lifts (e.g. Mont Chery) or, once they are closed, are they closed for the season now?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@lnomura, I am sure that once they are closed, they are closed. The lift staff etc on the mountain will have come to the end of their contracts, or will be move to other parts of the area to replace others who have left. The snow was very nice up on Mt Chery today but even just after 9 the top part of the Lievre was really quite soft.
@Wrekingirl, I agree with you about the Arbis. It can be quite challenging, compared with other reds.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If I've booked a ski holiday for next weekend (9/10th), am I a bit screwed? Or will there be plenty of pistes still operating in the larger region? Many thanks in advance
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@lnomura, Avoriaz and the Chatel side will be fine for ages. The rest of Les Gets is due to stay open till the 17th.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In avoriaz right now. Very very busy/crowded cos morzine and les gets are shite. Still plenty of snow but very spring conditions.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Incidentally, I'm in bar fantastic if anyone else is around...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went up in Les Gets for the first time in 9 days. Pistes still in good condition, if soft. A couple of areas where the mud is showing through but think it's better up there than it was this time last year...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I spent a couple of hours in Les Gets this morning too. The runs off the Ranfolly lift were all good and very quiet. Melezes in good nick too. The forecast was showing clouds and rain today but the sun seemed to be shining where I was.
latest report
Well, I'm still in cafe le fantastic, and it's now raining outside. Sad

Perhaps the horse drawn sleighs will be switched over to horse drawn carriages tomorrow?

Pistes were quite usable today, but suspect there will be pressure to stay higher up tomorrow...
snow conditions
We had a bit of new snow last night which brightened things up today! Only a few days left on this side, Champery -Les Crosets closes Sunday
snow conditions
We had rain overnight in Les Gets and I didn't go out today. The snow is shrinking very fast and the council gardeners have been out removing Christmas trees and the like from tubs and they are now all filled with flowers. Not sure what lifts will be open here next week - I have been told that it will mainly be the Chavannes and that the lifts will be closing at 2 pm but that is just gossip from a restaurant.
ski holidays
In shooters bar (Avoriaz) now, until the footie ends.
Fresh snow in the wee small hours made things look nicer, but it's still slow snow. All too warm and foggy, or low cloud. Did see a peak basking in sunshine briefly, but mostly cloudy everywhere.
Ample snow nevertheless.
Amazed that my 15yr old nephew managed the Arare expert drag ('teleski difficile') on the first attempt (4th day on a snowboard).
snow report
What it is to be 15, eh? snowHead
latest report
@pam w, trouble is, 15 yr olds think they're immortal - and I have to point out the errors in that thinking, e.g. spinal injuries, etc. due to incompetently landed tricks.
Knowledge of Avoriaz has enabled me to demonstrate just how large a ski area is still covered by half-price beginner and park & stash lift passes (one can still ski into Lindarets on 'beginner', down Ardent, and back to Super Morzine via free ski bus).
I am impressed by the new (to me) Prodains Express cable car.
ski holidays
@crosbie, agree with you that the Prodains Express cable car is pretty impressive, when you arrive in that grotto. We haven't been up there at all this year as we didn't buy PDS season passes for the first time for 16 years. It is really only now that I am missing skiing up there which we usually are doing by this time of year.
snow conditions
@Pamski, the Prodains cable car being a 20 second wait instead of 20 minutes now makes the runs down to it a tad more interesting.
Are you not tempted to even get a beginner pass? One can do the Crot to Prodains circuit, which must now be a pretty good descent to ascent ratio.
snow conditions
@crosbie, I have a half price pass I could use but my husband has now gone back to the UK, and although I am happy bumbling around LG on my own I wouldn't go over to Avoriaz,and we also now have a puppy this year, which is why we didn't bother with full PDS passes as we don't leave her for more than about four hours max. What are the beginner passes? I haven't come across them.
ski holidays
A beginner pass gets you all of supermorzine, the 3 cable cars, the central chairs and drags, and a few buttons here and there. You don't have to be a beginner.
snow conditions
Total white out in Avoriaz today, visibility about 2 metres at best. One poor boy lost a ski and his instructor in the Arare snowpark. We were on the Bleu du Lac and could hear the instructor calling from a long way below and the boy from above us. Neither could hear the other so we spoke to the boy, who was naturally terrified and got him to keep talking until the instructor was close enough to hear him and find him.

We tried the blue down to Ardent, which was a bit less foggy, but on the way up in the bubble the fog started moving in, so a retreat to the Passe Montagne in Lindarets for a long lunch was the only option, before heading home. A shame because the pistes were softening into swishy after a hard frost overnight. Superb tarte tatin btw.

Annoyingly, when we went to get our skis after lunch someone had taken my daughter's hire shop poles. As these had been on the ground next to her skis, and as there were no other sets of poles nearby looking like they were not associated with a pair of skis, we can't imagine how they could have been taken by mistake. Is this some new variety of ski crime, easier to commit than taking an actual pair of skis? Will have to see if we are asked to pay the €20 by the shop.
ski holidays
Heading home tomorrow after 4 days. Weather was hit and miss as was the snow. There was still plenty of skiing to be had and we had a great trip. It's snowing lightly now in Avoriaz.

Enjoy the rest of the season. It's time for me to get the road bike out.
ski holidays
My sis & nephew figured home was more attractive than fog and slow snow, so I dropped 'em off in Geneva this afternoon (standby).
Haven't been on snow today, but nephew reports it is at least a bit icy up top, so I'm crossing my fingers I'll get a decent day tomorrow.
I think I'll check out ye olde swiss wall (pas de chavanette) tomorrow, but won't hold out much hope...
Amusingly, an ESF snowboard instructor* asked my nephew if he'd been taught by an old codger, given his stance... I did at least tell my nephew that there were varying opinions as to the 'correct' stance (but that whatever one was comfortable with was probably fine).

* Nephew fancied boarding with other 15yr olds rather than 52yr olds. I can't have done too bad a job if he fit well into ESF level 1 after just 3.5 days of my instruction (let's not forget the expert drag).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colder overnight so the snow was much better this morning, but the low cloud/fog again. I ended up though on the Melezes and the Vorosses where it was fine in the trees. The runs from the Rosta were all in great nick but that is closing at the weekend.
latest report
Yup, colder means the snow is faster, but that's no good if there's insufficient visibility to ski faster.
Popped up to the Swiss wall, but it was closed. Chap in o'pascha suggested fog as the reason. The chavanette chair was running. I think I was the only non staff up there. Overtaken on the way down by a piste monitor who evidently knew the piste better than the back of his hand (could have done it blindfold - with or without fog).

Lightly snowing now, so next week's skiers will probably have a better 6 days' skiing.
latest report
Hi there. We are staying in Morzine at the minute, have been skiing up in avoriaz all week, we don't head home until Sunday. How is the snow over in Les Gets?? We fancy popping up there today or tomorrow but not sure if it will be ok/closing???? Can anyone advise please. Thanks!! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@jo reuben, I have been skiing around Les Gets all week, gently pootling for a couple of hours in the mornings as I am on my own. It looks cloudy out there again this morning and other things to do, but yesterday the snow cover was absolutely fine on the pistes. I believe that after the weekend there will just be the Chavannes area and the Ranfolly open. Light snow overnight and the roofs around here, 1200, white again so maybe a bit more higher up.
snow report
"piste monitor"

Wassat?
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
"piste monitor"

Wassat?

Perhaps a moniteur or a pisteur Laughing
snow conditions
There were loads of them today, on Pleney, mostly in fancy dress, for the last ESF day of the season wink
snow report
5-10cm of fresh snow above 1400m. Finally got a freeze overnight so conditions were excellent higher up, hard underneath with a layer of squeaky snow on top.
And the slopes were empty leading up to the big apres ski festival on tonight.
http://www.apreski-festival.com/#teaser

Might drink some snake juice to get going (as served at Fromagerie Perrier).

snow conditions
Hello all,
This is not really a comment on the conditions but I thought it might be the right place to ask this question :
I have heard that to get a discounted PDS season lift pass ( reduced to 750 euro instead of 900 euro ), you have to prove that you are a resident.
Can anyone please help me with what paperwork I need and can they be bought at any lift office or do you have to go to a more central sales place ? Our flat is in Chatel if it helps.
Thanks in advance
latest report
In Chamonix you just need a copy of your tax return (d'habitation) to get your carte residence which then gets your discount.

I have heard interesting tales around Morzine...
snow report
Wonderful morning in Les Gets, it froze overnight, about -4.5 this morning and all the pistes terrific, no brown patches, even the bottom of the Vorosses was fine after a last Paika coffee stop. So next week I believe we have the Chavannes area, the Nauchets and the Ranfolly lifts, which will just be to 2 o'clock. I imagine that the Chavannes Express and the red egg will run later than that.
Off to walk the dog now on Mt Caly.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
"piste monitor"Wassat?

Someone who skis down near empty (due to bad weather) but open pistes in case anyone has had an accident - to avoid them waiting too long to be discovered (normally by other skiers). Pistes may also be skied down by monitors after lifts have closed for a similar reason (to save fallen skiers having to wait until the next day to be discovered).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy