Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insulated trousers or not?

Poster: A snowHead
What is the general consensus, if I was buying a new pair of trousers, should I go for an insulated pair or something like the Patagonia Powder Bowl Pants with a base layer?

I'll be skiing in March next season.

Thanks
Simon

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 28-08-15 16:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd go for a medium weight lining and backup with merino longjohns. March can be roasting ...or not! For added versatility; zipped vents.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any recommended products available in the UK? (For less than £200)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Merino longjohns sound pricey Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TopGooner wrote:
Merino longjohns sound pricey Wink

Not if bought at Aldi.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
c44rver wrote:
I'd go for a medium weight lining and backup with merino longjohns. March can be roasting ...or not! For added versatility; zipped vents.

Id agree with this.

If you hold off for a couple of weeks, TKMaxx will be selling off last years ski wear. Loads of us grabbed some top notch salopettes for circa £80! Aldi Merino Wool long johns are as good as any (I use ortovox or Icebreaker as I got them cheap in the sale)

Combine the 2 and I've never had cold knees or a sweaty back bottom, regardless to how little or much I'm pushing myself.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
opening vents really good to have
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sport pursuit carrying quite a few good names around the £150-200 mark i.e. Marmot, Sweet Protection etc. I d go unlined myself at that time of year, along with a pair of Long johns!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Technical shell of choice with base layer of choice. (Dermizax® + Merino for me).

Full ankle (well, boot top) to hip venting allows you to tailor cooling to conditions. (And you can pass people, flapping in the wind Very Happy )
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@TopGooner, insulated ski pants are good for only one thing. And in springtime not even that.

Shells are good for anytime you need waterproof trousers, almost any temperature.

I'm struggling to understand the point of the question. The answer is sel evident (to me).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I bought these earlier this year - http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/legwear/super-terra-pants

They were primarily for using at the dry slope during the summer as I didn't want to wear normal ski pants, jeans or jogging bottoms. They are superb. Very rugged. Very warm and very, very comfortable. I've worm them indoors at a snow dome and I was very cosy without being too warm. I suspect that a pair of Merino LJs underneath would make them suitable for any weather or temps.

I use merino LJs from Mountain Warehouse and Decathlon and have no complaints whatsoever. No need spend 4 times the cost on Icebreakers.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gaza, they look great. Montane always seem to produce really good looking kit hut it's quite hard to find Puzzled not very waterproof though?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, I got mine at GoOutdoors. I've used them in light rain and they been fine. I also washed them in Tech Wash and then used Nikwax to give them an extra layer of DWR. They bead well when water lands on them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gaza, look like good touring/spring pants
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@TopGooner, insulated ski pants are good for only one thing. And in springtime not even that.

Shells are good for anytime you need waterproof trousers, almost any temperature.

I'm struggling to understand the point of the question. The answer is sel evident (to me).

+1
snow report
You'll have missed having the option of sizing but I got a pair of TNF GT TNZ (I think that's the model) she'll pants for this season. Snow and Rock have them for £180 ish. Good value gore tex! I use Nike hyper warm long johns for cold days or just the naked leg on warm days
snow conditions
Thanks for all the info everyone. Back in the 80s and 90s when I learnt to ski, insulated trousers were the norm. I haven't been for a while and the shift towards an uninsulated pair is a bit to get my head around. I'll definitely go with the consensus though.

Thanks, Simon
snow conditions
It depends on how much you feel the cold - I only use insulated trousers, usually with at least 1 pair long johns underneath - it needs to be very warm for me to get too hot on my legs and I find heat regulation usually best achieved by altering layers on body.
snow conditions
patagonia powder bowls tick all the questions
ski holidays
Started with insulated, but long forgoten since. And I do not like feeling cold, but never felt it cold through trousers. The only adaptation I would make is insulated bum area - for those old and slow lifts that on cold mornings require some self-persuasion ....
snow report
pam w wrote:
opening vents really good to have
Just don't forget to do them up if it rains Embarassed
snow conditions
I nearly bought these http://www.h-outletstore.com/verte-ii-q-pant-pistachio.html which looks like a great deal if you're a small / medium which I'm not Wink

The colour is a bit special as well Wink

As long as you're colour blind you'll be fine.
snow report
@TopGooner, as you can see: we are all different.
@under a new name and @spyderjon are tough snow warriors who don't feel the cold.
While @Gordyjh and @c44rver (and myself) are not quite so rugged, and are more comfortable with some lining in the trousers.
Its largely an age thing - we feel the cold more as the wrinkles arrive.
My pants have a lining (O'Neill and Northface). I usually also wear merino "thermals" underneath, and when it gets really cold i put on 2 thermals.

Alongwith vents, i would advise going for lots of good sized pockets.
latest report
I'm going to Mayrhofen in late March 2016 where it was 20 degrees at the same time last season in town, so it's going to be very difficult to predict what I'll need... I have no idea what to expect at snow level as the altitude change is 1000m.
snow report
@Jonpim, i usually use fleece longjohns (Quechua) under my shells.
ski holidays
and I use some combination of
a) nothing (well merino boxers if you insist)
b) merino 3/4 length long johns
c) powerstretch fleece tights
depending on the temperature
Although I've never actually needed both the longjohns and the fleece together in the alps
ski holidays
Shells, plus 2XU thermal compression tights, pls mid-weight Patagonia thermals works for me for all but the coldest days. That said, people react to cold differently. The only certainty is that shells give you flexibility that insulated pants do not.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
....The only certainty is that shells give you flexibility that insulated pants do not.

Exactly Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy