Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy? Is it Boardable?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I've visited 2 Italian "resorts" with Snowheads: Kronplatz and Sella Ronda.
Kronplatz was great fun: for 2 days, then I'd hit it all.
Sella Ronda was waaaay to flat for a board: too many traverses and too many blues which faded to flats.

Anyone know of any Italian resorts which are fun to board?

Thanks in anticipation,

Iain
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Under the little known treaty of Val Singleton (a little known resort in the Val d'Aoste), it was decided by papal bull that the devil's work arising in California, such as those of the Satanical overlord "Jake Burton", was of such threat to the holy sanctity of Italy that snowboarding would not be encouraged.

And maybe punished by mis-communication.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Thuile, great long traverses to link with La Rossiere wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cervinia has too many flat spots too although the Lupe Volanti seem to like it
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've only ridden Cervinia, mostly from the Swiss side but I visited from Milan once too. It's motorway stuff, from what I recall. I've not ridden in the Sella Ronda, but it sounds like a circuit and those are going to involve a lot of traversing. Good wax and a decent length race board help.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
Under the little known treaty of Val Singleton (a little known resort in the Val d'Aoste), it was decided by papal bull that the devil's work arising in California, such as those of the Satanical overlord "Jake Burton", was of such threat to the holy sanctity of Italy that snowboarding would not be encouraged.

And maybe punished by mis-communication.

Got to be Gressony Alagna I guess
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.worldsnowboardguide.com/resorts/italy/gressoney/resort_reviews.cfm
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been to Cervinia once and absolutely adored it for snowboarding - didn't see much of the off-piste as it was quite late season, but I thought it was amazing - the odd flat-ish stretch but nothing that meant a walk as long as you carried a bit of speed on your way in.

Went to Champoluc for a day too, so didn't see masses of it, but it all seemed great for riding (with the exception of one green or blue path that we ended up on which was flat and / or uphill).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@cameronphillips2000, I think my humour was too subtle Cool
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, maybe too young to recognise the name, took me two reads before the penny dropped! Très drôle Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Samerberg Sue, could be, makes me feel old... Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stewart woodward wrote:
La Thuile, great long traverses to link with La Rossiere wink

Also known as "the walk of shame"

When the wind blows, you need to weigh 120lbs wet and wearing Lycra to get down that return run Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bormio has only one proper flat spot at bormio 2000 and Santa Caterina only has one bad flat spot on the run down from suuny vally to the mid station.
The boarders that stay with us seem to have a good time and don't complaine about many flat areas.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Artesina, Frabosa, All around there has some awesome boarding areas...depends if you like steep and untracked powder or not really!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, I think my humour was too subtle Cool

Maybe, or just the sentence was too long. By the time I'd got to the end of the sentence I'd forgotten what the beginning was about.
Confused
latest report
@cameronphillips2000, haha. You need to develop a lomger attention span!!
snow report
La Thuile or Courmayeur. I live in Aosta Valley, it is by far the best area I have been to!
latest report
Well thanks guys.
Although some of the remark were a little too high-brow for me, I got the jist.
Have now reserved Hotel Ellex in Gressoney.

Thanks for the help, looks like it should be fun. Just need to find some restaurants now..
ski holidays
@Strax, restaurants? gressoney? You haven't done your research if you mean for in the evening...
snow report
I highly suggest you to check the Madonna di Campiglio SkiArea.. it's build of many venues (Madonna di Campiglio, Pinzolo, Folgarida, Marileva etc) linked. You can find 4 snowparks for every level of skill and pistes very carvable
snow report
Just need to ride faster never had any issues getting back from la thuile. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
@Strax, just on original topic, not a boarder so I don't pay any attention to such things but I can't think of too many flat bits. There's one getting back to Champoluc from Frachey and one on the return from Alagna to Staffal but we board around Monterosa a lot with boarders and I don't recall any particular whinging.
ski holidays
+1 For Santa Caterina Valfurva (not a boarder tho) - was there in March and I can only remember 1 remotely flat piste and that was only a short section. Also plenty of easily accessed Off Piste for a resort of its size. Didn't go to Bormio but did do Livigno at the same time and that was very popular with boarders, I can't remember many flat spots there either.
snow report
Strax wrote:
We visited 2 Italian "resorts" with Snowheads: Kronplatz and Sella Ronda. Kronplatz was great fun: for 2 days, then I'd hit it all.

1200 km of piste in 2 days Shocked + the off piste Puzzled
Yes some of it is flat so it should all be reserved for skiers. Blush
latest report
@Lechbob, Laughing
ski holidays
@Lechbob, You make a good point; if you re-arrange paragraph, it says something different to the original. The point of a good troll is to mindlessly flame that which is written, not that which you might think might be worth flaming, if only it were written in the first place. Kronplatz: 116km of piste. I did most of it at least twice Toofy Grin
snow report
I must admit that I misread your opening statement. I removed a line break to make it more compact but not alter the sentiment. I was surprised that you could not find enough enjoyable slopes in such a vast area. I did indeed find Kronplatz became tedious returning to the crown umpteem times, so on the third day I used the bus link to Sponata an beyond. I also spent a week with a seasonaire boarder exploring the off shoots of the Sella Ronda, he did not have a problem negotiating the flat bits. Lesser skilled boarders will find the flats difficult. Anyway it is nice to know there will be one less in my favourite area. Have you tried France ?
ski holidays
@Lechbob, PM'd you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Possibly, in lechbob's defence, the thread title got up his nose a bit as it did mine. A bit like having a duff sandwich at a motorway service area near Dijon then asking "FRANCE - is there any edible food?
snow report
Really?
So the both of you troll your way through the SnowBoard thread seeking an opportunity to try to pernickity a fight with anyone who may prefer riding a board?
One of you mis-read the post, and the other takes umbridge at the thread title and then didn't read the post at all??? Its like dumb and dumber, without the comedy.

Rule 7 guys, Rule 7. Oops, too late.

Popcorn anyone? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 xrdcarbon
xrdcarbon
that's cool
snow report
AthersT wrote:
+1 For Santa Caterina Valfurva (not a boarder tho) - was there in March and I can only remember 1 remotely flat piste and that was only a short section. Also plenty of easily accessed Off Piste for a resort of its size. Didn't go to Bormio but did do Livigno at the same time and that was very popular with boarders, I can't remember many flat spots there either.

Glad you enjoyed Santa Cat AthersT I only just spotted your post asking for info! It's my favourite place evs Smile I'm hoping to take my son there at Easter next year.
latest report
Strax wrote:
Hi,
Iain

"hit it all" . . . You couldn't possibly be a 'Septic' could you? One who flies into Heathrow, hires a car and drives to Stonehenge, Oxford, Cambridge and back to the airport, goes home to his plastic sheathed shed and proudly proclaims that he's 'seen England'?

If you cannot see that it could take a week to explore all the facets of just one piste and that with every run you could challenge yourself in a different way then . . . all you've posted is I'm a shallow poseur who can't be аrsed to explore either my sport or a resort.

I'd agree that Hemel would be maxed out in a couple of days . . . but the Sella Ronda!!!

prick Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
@Strax, I apologise for calling you a prick, I was being tired and lazy . . . so you're just a pillock Little Angel
latest report
@Masque, I note your stated "location", and fully agree with that. I was unaware you owned the "sport", but then I guess its "your" Stonehenge, and you also own the bridge beneath which you reside?
While I, and a number of fellow Snowheads did indeed fully explore the more interesting pistes of Kronplatz, it was more difficult, as a group to explore the Sella Ronda. At some points the less experienced skiers were slower, the "navigation committee" had frequent deliberations and those of us who took turns as sweeper could stall on the flatter traverses between runs.
Therefore, when deliberating where to take my family of 5 for an interesting snow holiday, I prefered to rely upon some experienced and wise Snowheads to lend some assistance.
Unfortunately you other male appendages showed up too.

On the occasions I ride alone, I enjoy to practice the facets of an attractive run. Doubtless you have many days riding alone, and I hope you enjoy many facets.
Quote:

I'd agree that Hemel would be maxed out in a couple of days . . . but the Sella Ronda!!!

Now while I never suggested that it was possible to "do" the Sella Ronda in 2 days, I would challenge you that you have never visited Hemel. It has many interesting streets. Perhaps after all, the "septic" you seek is within you?
Probably so far up your own back bottom you can probably see daylight?
Apology refused.
snow conditions
@Strax, Grew up in Hemel, went to school at St Meryl . . . yup I'm a grumpy old git that doesn't own anything except perhaps for my telemark snowboard and no-one else wants to go near that. So if you're happy to explore and re-hit why the question is Italy boardable? Anything and anywhere is boardable; the occasional scoot or foot slog could even take you to great runs. Spent a lovely week in Passo Tonale with lots of easy blues and greens to spend a well fed and lubricated afternoon on and sphincter taut reds and black for the morning. Even Livigno is a crackin' place to have a holiday . . . perhaps a bit more party than piste. Whist the run back to La Rosier can be a nightmare and the resort itself is pretty and nicely laid back, its pistes can be very crowded with a lot of cross piste traffic. However La Thuile has a much better selection of typical smooth white autostrada including a couple of quite evil if race prepped blacks, its nightlife is much quieter with some exquisite restaurants.

Does that help?

eDIT! I'm gonna backtrack a bit, you're still a pillock and tending toward prick. You bіtсh about having to hang around for the slower sliders in a group you've chosen to slide with and can't look far enough ahead to hit the flats with enough to glide to the next drop. At least I know why I enjoy riding solo rather than just being self centered to the point where you forget simple good manners when sliding with a group.

There's nowhere in Italy that's not boardable.
snow report
@Masque,

For the sake of clarity and sanity (mine, so many on here seems to have lost theirs):
1. The title of the thread is rhetorical. Those with the wherewithal to read the body of the post will understand that I have ridden in Italy, and it was good. Therefore Italy is obviously boardable. Pedants please be advised.
2. I do not claim to have ridden the Sella Ronda in a day. For those who do wish to infer this, please be advised I am actually Superman, and flew round the entire circuit with my bawbags on the outside. But you can't tell anyone because no-one knows who Superman really is. OK?
3. If you only ride 2 planks, but you once saw a snowboard on the roofrack of a Fiat, that does not really help. But thanks for trying. (Excepting those who made a genuine post, I wish to thank everyone who didn't choose to troll this thread)
4. If you're taking prescription medication, please do not post. Unless the prescription is in someone else's name.
5. If you choose to ignore the above, please take your medication before you post. At least that will save us all from your (literally) mindless post scripts once the medication does kick in. Which is a good thing btw.
6. The "edit" button allows you to delete the bile you previously posted. The edit button lives on the right beside your posting. Using this will you to hide your tortured mental meandering from the rest of the world.
7. If you want to preach about manners or etiquette, you need to come from a place of authority. Posting "Your a pr1ck, and I think you also have poor manners" suggests that you know more about cleaning semen from a keyboard, than you do about social etiquette. Similarly posting " I didn't read your post, but I'm feeling pretty p1ssed, so I'm gonna broadcast my bile on the interweb in order that I will feel better about myself" is also somewhat sick. And not in a good way.

Rule 7 still applies.

Popcorn and...post..
latest report
@Strax, I think most people understood where you are coming from. The challenge is that there are a) not that many boarders on sH and b) even fewer who regularly ride Italy to offer a spirited and reasonable defence. FWIW given my limited experience of skiing in Italy (I do board just have never done so there) I can identify with your problem. There is something about the way Italians lay out pistes that tends towards long flattish/cattracky connections. Now one or two in a big circuit isn't a big deal but more frequent that that it's just a PITA if you have larger mixed ability groups. I wouldn't bother getting into a fight with Masque, he is celebrated for his outpourings of bile.
snow report
OK, as long as you don't put sugar on the popcorn ('cos that's just wrong) I'll bite.
I'm a little 'time poor' and work focused on 12 >16 hr days to look for any nuance in your posts . . . so when I read . . .
Quote:
Hi,
Sella Ronda was waaaay to flat for a board: too many traverses and too many blues which faded to flats.

Anyone know of any Italian resorts which are fun to board?

Thanks in anticipation,

Iain

Imagine my consternation . . . I know nowt about Kronsplatz, but you clearly state that you feel that any more than 2 days there needed Prozac to avoid a 'Mr. Chartwell' encounter. Really? Can any resort be that limited and booring? Then you go on to tell us the Sella Ronda wuz
Quote:
waaaay to(sic) flat for a board: too many traverses and too many blues which faded to flats.

And you now say that 'that' was 'tongue in cheek'? . . . leaving me with the thought that perhaps my 5 circuits onna board and 3 on skis may mean that FOOK! I wheren't in Italy, not in the Dolomites and the Sella Ronda is just Hemmel with pizza . . . no really . . . don't order the bar pizza at Hemmel, it's like chewing a flour'd tomato brick!

So where do I go from here? Realistically you can challenge your abilities anywhere and there's a plethora of U'tube evidence that sliding in the apocalypse on the last vestige of snow is gonna be better than sitting on God's right hand finger of prostate exploration . . .

. . . So what's the point of your OP?

You'r looking to take a family on vacation . . . is this a joke? What's the age and ability of the family members?
Youngsters who need the smooth expanse of a blue or red to push their learning envelope . . . or the college sons who want to drag their peer father out of his fitness and ability and down a rock encrusted double black diamond?

What it boils down to is NOT finding a place to slide that satifies your own personal goals but those that fit the people you profess to love. Your OP and subsequent posts demonstrate your priorities ... sadly, they're not what we would call (as posted) altruistic toward either your peers nor your family.

On the basis of 'it's easy to be a dick on t'intherweb' and harder to not be one in real life. I'll give you the opportunity to post "mixed messages" and still offer you a beer or three should we meet. NOT in any apology, just camaraderie.

Small postscript: Snowboarder FIRST and always, Alpine skiing for learning how to not to Telemark and Teleboard to live my mortality. Simple expanation . . . I've alredy crash and burned more tools than you will have chance to slide. . . though I draw th line at 'MONOSKi' . . . just wrong!

By all means mock me, but do you realy think that will mask (deliver me from puns) your post's that state in your own voice a disrespect toward the smaller of our playgrounds and a deeper dismissal toward those you claim a friend. The irony you seem to lack is that is that I and my peers know exacly where my fundament glows bright from . . . you may want to walk a step back and not assume that all snowboarders are concurrent with your personal zeitgeist

If you can't enjoy a holiday with your family without it being at a specific location to your preference . . .

. . . yup, you're a prick
ski holidays
posted afer a 34hr day! so my cogntive ability may be a bit compromised . . . but the sentiments id pure
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy