Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Adult skier suing 6 year old for £25,000 over Austrian skiing accident

Poster: A snowHead
Mike Pow wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
£25,000 seems such a small & precise amount considering the lady in question can no longer ski.

Methinks she didn't have insurance and is trying to recoup the medical costs.

Indeed, thats a thought. not sure how their medical system works since she wasn't out of her own country she wouldn't be under travel insurance.

The article doesn't state that the lady in question is Austrian.

True, She must be american thinking about it..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@PaulC1984,
If she was Austrian there wouldn't have been a problem in the first place wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
musher wrote:
@PaulC1984,
If she was Austrian there wouldn't have been a problem in the first place wink

Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The number of people on the slopes who are ignorant of the FIS rules is quite alarming. Evil or Very Mad

[Tongue in cheek mode on]:
Perhaps it's time to introduce an internationally recognised slope user safety card with photo i.d that's only issued once the person has passed a simple exam test on the FIS rules. You'd need to show the safety card before you can buy a lift pass..... wink

[Tongue in cheek mode off]
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
[Tongue in cheek mode on]:
Perhaps it's time to introduce an internationally recognised slope user safety card with photo i.d that's only issued once the person has passed a simple exam test on the FIS rules. You'd need to show the safety card before you can buy a lift pass..... wink

[Tongue in cheek mode off]
Toofy Grin

Your sounding like the ESF Toofy Grin - EUROTESTS for ALL YAY Toofy Grin - Id pay to watch the speed test, it could be quite amusing, although I'd imagine our insurance premiums may rise a little Shocked

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 28-08-15 19:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink wrote:
The number of people on the slopes who are ignorant of others, have no manners, or common sense is quite alarming. Evil or Very Mad

FIFY Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What a sad world we live in...that's all I think of here Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dobby wrote:
All this talk or kids skiing reminds me of my two skiing down some bumps last year, parallel to one another and then both turning inwards onto the same upslope of the same bump at the same time, ending up with a sisterly hug as their skis got tangled. Comedy slow-mo collision.

That's not limited to kids, me and a mate have done that before... Only pride damaged, it was hilarious to the rest of our party. Apparently the rest of the run we looked so good, we both straightlined a flatter section then when we started turning again were all out of sync...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Back on topic, this is something I am beginning to lose the will to live with. It was an accident, they happen, nobody died. The adult probably should have been paying more attention but I wasn't there so I'll never know.

It isn't stated, but chances are if it was a collision between a fully grown adult and a 6 year old, that ultimately it was the fall which caused the injuries rather than the collision itself, and that fall could just as easily have happened after a 'collision' with a bit of the wrong type of snow.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What adult rationally considers "suing" a 6 year old?

I sincerely hope the Austrian court dismisses this ASAP - as thats what they would do here in Norway.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Silly season journalism, I'd say. If people really care them pull up the court records and you'll probably find a very different story.

--
FIS rules? Those would carry some weight. However if you were maliciously using them to assault someone, for example by deliberately turning in front of an overtaking skier, you'd likely find that they would not help you in court. Likely anyone daft enough to pull that stunt would be proud of themselves, so it would probably be easy to prove their intent to injure.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many Germans and other European mainland nations travel without any medical insurance, so it could be that this person has been told to recoup the additional medical expenses by her health insurer. The Torygraph is not great with translation, so a quick Google Translate and superficial view may have made the actual thing out to be much more than it actually is.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lilledonmarco wrote:
What adult rationally considers "suing" a 6 year old?

No rational adult would. Would one let a six year old cross a road alone? No. They do not have enough of a well-developed judge of speed or stopping distance or a deduction of the consequences. With regard to skiing, add to this a judgement of angle/turning circle.

There is no way a 6 year old is at fault in any way. Apart from anything, they have the attention span of a gnat.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The adult should be taken out to a quite place and shot! Mainly for trying to blame an innocent and INEXPERIENCED child, also for wasting the courts time!

The way the article is written makes out she was a relatively competent skier so should have had the foresight to keep clear of a ski school group and anticipate erratic skiing from them!

This is another example of one person making the rest of us look bad!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Calm down everyone. This is most likely being driven by lawyers and the kid will be covered by insurance anyway.
snow report
Local paper's report (Deutsch, obvs): http://www.vol.at/skiunfall-am-hochhaederich-zivilprozess-gegen-ein-sechsjaehriges-kind/4432149

Maybe more of one of those 50-50 accidents that are unavoidable...
snow report
@Gerry, why should kid be covered by insurance and thus costing many other people something?
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
The number of people on the slopes who are ignorant of others, have no manners, or common sense is quite alarming. Evil or Very Mad

FIFY Smile

and then there's people who aren't on a bash..
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Gerry, why should kid be covered by insurance and thus costing many other people something?

Kids should be insured, imo. Suppose a big fat 15 year old kid crashes into you at speed and puts you in a wheelchair but isn't insured.
latest report
Ski schools must be insured against 3rd party claims. Arguably anyone not themselves insured for 3rd party claims shouldn't be allowed to make any.
snow report
About 10 minutes after the lifts had shut on the last day of last season we were following a family down a very gentle slope. The family was Dad, leading the way, followed in turn by 6 year old, then 3 year old, then Mum. All were skiing very well and carefully. Dad and 6 year old had stopped at the edge of the piste and 3 year old was skiing with great concentration towards them, followed by Mum. We were stopped at the edge of the piste about 20 metres above them when we were overtaken at speed and very closely by a middle aged woman, who promptly crashed into the 3 year old by trying to ski through the gap between her and Dad.

It was clear that no harm had been done to anyone, but overtaking skier immediately started shouting at the Dad about the child getting in her way. He very calmly explained that her behaviour was unacceptable and that it was her in the wrong as the uphill skier. You could see that she was angling for a bit of a row........but she suddenly realised that he was a piste security guy in uniform ....and it went very quiet before she skied slowly off.......
ski holidays
Laughing
latest report
pam w wrote:
Ski schools must be insured against 3rd party claims. Arguably anyone not themselves insured for 3rd party claims shouldn't be allowed to make any.

That would not be a very good argument though.

People with zero cash to recover would be unlikely to have enough to spend skiing, so it's fairly likely you could recover damages (which aren't punitive in UK law at least - that's what the criminal stuff is for) from everyone. I self-insure, but that doesn't stop you litigating against me. It most certainly doesn't affect my rights to litigate.

I think the term "claims" may be a bit misleading. What you can litigate for is "damages", which aren't punitive and when I've done it at least have to be directly related to the costs you incur. That's not, for example, "compensation", although the beak may award something for pain and suffering...
snow report
The costs of converting a house and providing lifetime care for a skier paralysed by a back injury could be pretty steep for most of us. I am happy to self insure for stuff like breaking my leg or missing my flight home. But not for causing terrible injury to another. In a boating analogy, all marinas and similar establishments require users to carry third party insurance. All sailing instructors do (or do if they have any sense, and RYA membership provides this). It costs very little.
ski holidays
@Gerry, in my experience the big fat kids are slower and more careful because they know they will be hurt in a fall, mostly it's not big fat kids that cause accidents but inexperienced skiers who think they know it all going too fast for the terrain or conditions
ski holidays
I should clarify my comment. Nwhy should anyone assume that because someone else should be insured that that gives them right to sue them?

Insurance, yes, a good idea. Insurance, a mechanism to garner money through a law suit? Not so much.
latest report
pam w wrote:

I see you stop short of attempting to articulate that argument.

"In a boating analogy, all marinas and similar establishments require users to carry third party insurance."

What's a "similar establishment"? My sailing club doesn't require me to have insurance unless I race. Plenty of small craft are uninsured. Arguably they are foolish since they could be subject to large claims from large vessels. But there's no requirement for them to be insured and I certainly believe they are entitled to claim if, for example, they get run over by the clueless skippers of all-the-gear-and-no-idea power vessels, as unfortunately happens with some frequency.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy