Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do the words "purpose built" fill anyone else with dread?

Poster: A snowHead
I know that the skiing tends to be good in the purpose built resorts, and that some of them have great night life, but to me it's not a proper skiing holiday if you're staying in a place that looks like part of Slough.

I went for a week in Tignes last year, and the skiing was great, but there just isn't the sense of atmosphere that you get in an alpine village or town.

For me, I'll always put up with catching a bus, or walking with my skis, just to stay in a place that makes me feel like I'm in the mountains.

What do other snowHeads think?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kramer, I'm not convinced by your argument. The villages that I have stayed in, tend to be quiet, and have good skiing. They are places that folks call home. It all depends on what you define as "sense of atmosphere". Chamonix excepted, which is lively year round.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Personally I like to be able to ski from the door - and not every purpose built resort looks as bad as Tignes. The mountains rather than the village are what's important to me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, you have chosen almost the worst example. Well, I'll confirm that after visiting VT for the EOSB wink

But I do rather agree with you. I like places that have the feel of a genuine village about the. Zermatt fits the bill well. But the resort doesn't have to be posh, Chatel is another good example. Oddly enough, I do rather like the feel of Les Deux Alpes. I guess you might say that a lot of that is purpose built. But there is something I like about it - looking forward to being there later this month Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blame it on Le Corbusier (which isn't a ski resort)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Give it 10 yrs and the likes of Tignes, les Menuires, Avoriaz will all look & feel much nicer. They are from a lost architecural era.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer, I like skiing in Tignes.. It's a functional resort and it works for me. If you stay in a chalet or hotel with a lake view it's not bad to look at either. I suppose its skiing for the masses, but you get to ski the Espace Killy for less money than if you stay in Val 'd.
Also, I think these high altitude resorts attract people whose primary interest is the amount of skiing that they can cram in. You have to be reasonably keen to ski in the kinds of temperatures the alps have been subjected to recently Shocked
I don't know too much about the development of the purpose built resorts but suspect they had a similar efffect on skiing that the Costa Brava had on package holidays. Without them would skiing have remained the exclusive pastime of the wealthy? tucked away in the picture postcard villages you describe.
Each to their own and vive le difference wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Philistine that I am, I'll take the brutal convenience of the ski-in/ski-out resort over the 20 minute walk to the cable car queue almost every time. After all, only one chairlift up [which, incidentally, is only 30 seconds from your bedroom door] and you can't see the resort anyway - only the beautiful mountains!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, 10 yrs, they've had 20-30 yrs already, the only high rise station that fits the mountains in terms of looks is Avoriaz. However the apartments are real 60s-70s throwbacks, very cramped and not what holidaymakers are looking for now.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer, I'm with you, so to speak.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm with Kramer on this one....I like to stay in a pretty place (that has good skiing!!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think Avoriaz looks worse than the others and the skiing there is not the best of the PDS. The mock wooden cladding, that is falling off and has been for years, is awful. I prefer Flaine or Tignes any day.

Just back from staying at Tignes for the first time and I have to say it was far better in terms of a skiing holiday over Christmas than St. Anton was a couple of years ago.

But that is my opinion and everybody is welcome to their own.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer, I prefer a village, especially an Austrian village, but beggars can't be choosers so I go where I can. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I guess the extremes I've been to in this sense are Saas Fee (a spectacular village) and Val Thorens (very definitely "purpose built"). To be honest I think I value 'ease of use' over 'authenticity'.

I like the sound of "purpose built operating theatre", sounds so much reassuring than "surgeon's converted 2nd bedroom" wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For what it's worth my opinion is to be able to ski as much as I can which is why i went on the holiday in the first place.

I prefer ski to door facilities and although I agree particularly in France this means a purpose built resort with not much charactor. you have to offset this with say austrian resorts which tend to have ski to door facilities but not the skiable area.

Example Soll big resort, big ski area but requires ski bus to and from lifts. Valmorel ski to door, quite pretty resort but very quiet.

I would like to have an actual lived in all year round resort with varied night life and ski to door facilities but I think these are few and far between.

Most of America is good Skiing but miles away from lifts in a morning.

Then again after Skiing from sun rise to sun set every day all I want to do after my evening meal is sleep.

Oh why can't we be lucky enough to have these conditions on our doorstep and deciding not to ski on one particular day doesn't make you feel as though you have short changed your holiday. ???
snow conditions
Convenience every time. I cant agree with CP, I bought in Avoriaz after looking at Flaine, better skiing and completely to the doorstep. In my case 5 metres from the front door to the piste. I do agree that Avoriaz is not the most sightly in the summer but I think it blends in with the curvature of the mountain when you have snow, at least that is what the architects have tried to do. The village is not a patch on Zermatt I agree but I wasn't allowed to buy there.
snow report
Skiing is the priority for me, rather than village ambience. I'm prepared to turn a blind eye to the all but the worst excesses of 'purpose built' architecture. The traditional ski villages that offer chocolate box chalets with ski in/out access to large and varied ski domains are very nice, of course, but generally out of my price range. Whenever I'm choosing a ski resort there are always compromises to be made between the different things you look for in a ski holiday, and I'm thankful that skiers have differing priorities otherwise that one 'perfect' resort would be mighty crowded.
snow report
Kramer, agree 100% - purpose built is awful - no locals - no history - no atmosphere. Of course some people say LDA is purpose built but it aint. Built up from the local villages (2) yes - and some buildings that should be blown up - certainly - but it doesn't have to be austrian pretty to have atmosphere! Laughing
snow conditions
Some purpose built villages are great... most Intrawest places for example. But Tignes, Les Menuires, La Plagne, Flaine etc etc all need flattening and starting again (ever been to these places in the summer and you'll agree). Carbunkles all of 'em. A blight on the mountain environment. I've had a quiet word with the US Airforce...
latest report
These architectural abortions - the 'urbanisme des Alpes - are largely the result of the French government's megalomania in the 1960s and 1970s and a desire for over-exploitation of sensitive mountainscapes. Far too much investment was encouraged far too quickly. The hot money moved in, and any concern for conservation, ecology, forestry and land erosion went down the drain.

Maybe we'll approach things a lot more carefully in the 21st century, as the snowline rises and the speculative pressure on the high slopes and plateaux increases. It's going to need assertive international control.
snow report
Kramer, for some of them looking like Slough could be considered a compliment, I agree with David Goldsmith, too many resorts were over developed but having said that, the local Govt has allowed the building of Arc1950 and hacked down 100s of ancient pines to facilitate it, that's even worse, we now have Disneyland Ski in the mountains. Vandals.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:

I'm sorry, but that guy was the best in his day. If you've seen the apartments in Marseille, they are proof that when built to his plans, they don't look like concrete carbuncles. His designs would not fit in on the south bank of the Thames, because his are good, colourful, and innovative.
snow report
Frank Lloyd Wright did some nice things with concrete as well.

Unfortunately there wasn't so much architectural elan shown with purpose built ski resorts, horrible things.
snow conditions
Kramer, unsurprisingly I throw in with Alastair, george owen, Dave Burt, CP, Ian Hopkinson, Super Eagle, Roy Hockley, rob@rar.org.uk. Even before I had small children to supervise over a slippery walk carrying what seems like a zillion pairs of skis for them, I wasn't there for the atmosphere. Height and ski convenience are where it's at.
snow report
slikedges, well, you're all wrong. NehNeh wink
snow conditions
Kramer, as an owner of a nice apartment close to the pistes in a really nice atmospheric village, with a restaurant run by a Michelin-starred chef, I'm with you. Have done the ski convenience thing, and prefer the village life.
ski holidays
Kramer, he did indeed, unfortunately many of his designs including fallingwater have had to have extensive restoration often due to poorly built structures, so design great, supervision poor wink
latest report
Kramer, when I start to prefer leisurely starts after a bumper breakfast, long pampered lunches and high tea on sunny terraces, I may switch camps. I expect this to happen just about the time the kids start to outski me - maybe next year then rolling eyes. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges, an atmospheric resort and great skiing aren't mutually exclusive. Very Happy
latest report
Kramer, not saying they are. Am saying an atmospheric resort and ski to the door convenience often are though. snowHead
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
He also did a great deal of work in a northern Indian city called Chandighar. Big lumps of concrete covered in a mouldy green patina from the monsoons and/or pollution don't look any better on the plains than they do in the mountains, IMO.

On topic, I quite like Belle Plagne with it's 3 or 4 storey, timber clad 'oversized-chalet' style buildings. From a distance, when the scale doesn't matter, it even looks quite tradtional. But Plagne Centre is awful. Not entirely because of design or execution but partly from lack of maintenance. Dirt and graffitti are not nice anywhere. Flaine - which comes in for some stick, I quite liked.
snow report
Add me to the 'convenience over style' group. Most places aren't too bad, if you get the right angle Happy I quite like the charmettoger end of les arcs and the 'middle' of VT. aj xx
snow conditions
IMHO the convenience factor and quality of skiing and the 'atmosphere' INSIDE the Hotels/Bars and Restaurants is what makes a place better or worse. If it looks pretty outside then that's a plus, but not a requirement.

To be honest how much time do you spend looking at the resort itself anyway? Once you're up on the hill it doesn't matter and when your down in 'town' it's normally getting dark and you're looking for somewhere to eat (and drink!).

Just got back from Val D and had a look at Tignes and Val Claret while I was there. Both looked OK to me. and Val Claret in particular is very convenient for the lifts. Enjoyed the whole place immensely and didn't think any of it was unbearable ugly - maybe I'm just an architectural philistine snowHead

Heres a pic of Val Claret (with Tignes in the background) from the Double M piste: Looks quite nice from up there! snowHead

snow conditions
In one word "yes"
ski holidays
Always been convenience over traditional charm for me even more so now I have children. Purpose built also means purpose built chalets with full ensuites for every room and sufficient communal space and plenty of hot water.

I suspect once the kids are old enough and I am by definition very old the charms of a picture postcard traditional village with a very good hotel and restaurants may outweigh my need to be on the first lift and keep going until it is dark.
snow conditions
slightly on this topic, I discovered last week the weirdest hotel in Belle Plagne (Les Balcons): not bad at all inside (new decorations, jacuzzi, good restaurant, etc) but the only entrance is through the garage under the building, VERY badly signposted! I couldn't stop laughing.

As for the general question, I'm in the middle - definitely don't want concrete monstrosities (didn't like the architecture in Plagne Centre, or Snowbird for that matter), prefer real villages, but I'm willing to put up and even enjoy purpose-built as long as it tries to look mountain-ish (so yes, wood cladding is fine, so are oversized chalets). Yeah, even if that's kitsch.
ski holidays
I stayed in Val Claret in 2004 and thought that it was OK to look at; bleak blocks in bleak scenery. I've skied (but not stayed) in Avoriaz and Flaine, which looked OK in their setting, especially Avoriaz. I like places like Courmayeur and Kitzbuhel which are real places with some attractive old buildings and a bit of atmos. An awful lot of ski resorts are like Courchevel, though; dreary streets full of ski shops, tacky clothes shops and samey bars; give me Val Claret over those any time. And don't get me started on Meribel.
ski holidays
AxsMan, great photo. brings back some good boarding memories from last april.. i stayed in the old tignes..(well whats not underwater) looking up at the dam.. thanks to last easters dump of snow i could board bk into there so had the best of both worlds..
im for ski in/out covienience, post card style villages, and austrain style boozers on the slopes.. i want it all..
ski holidays
I'm definitely in the 'pretty' camp - I don't leave grimy crowded London for grimy tower blocks on holiday (skiing aside!). Personally, I do not believe that pretty and convenient are mutually exclusive. Depending on your tolerance level, I have always managed to find accommodation within a 5 minute (sometimes less) walk of the lifts in non purpose-built ski resorts. Ski-in / Ski-out they were not - but also infinitely prettier for only 5 mins of inconvenience adding to an all round better holiday IMHO.
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, Last time I was in Tignes you could visit the old Tignes which was the last time I have been to a purpose built resort.

I used to go to purpose built resortrs quite a bit believing the hype about better skiing at altitude. Now I prefer to stay in lower altitude more attractive places below the tree line and go by lift to the higher places. Since I have had kids I have hardly been to a purpose built resort and don't find the extra few minutes any great hassle. The extra space you get in older places is far more beneficial. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy