Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier- France 2015-2016

Poster: A snowHead
This is what is planned to be open between 16th and 24th http://www.serre-chevalier.com/hiver/ski-alpes/le-domaine-skiable/ouverture-du-16-au-24-avril/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hells Bells, Thanks, so parking at Villeneuve looks the better option? Looking at forecast Monday looks best day atm.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Claude B, it will be. There won't be anything open in Monetier, much to the annoyance of all the local business owners, it isn't usual for it to shut a week earlier than the rest, seems to be something they've started (or re-introduced) in the past couple of seasons. Perhaps because of lower visitor numbers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells, Must be annoying, the runs back to resort looked perfectly fine on Tuesday.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Claude B, park up by the Frejus gondola, that way you'll have two options, either the gondola to take you up to Frejus sector and the Vallons, or the Casse du Boeuf chair which will give you more options and enable you to go over to Chantermerle sector.

Usual caveats apply this time of year in that after 13:00 will be very soft, but actually Monday does not look uber hot.

And yes is a pain re Monetier as that stops us from going over the back of Yret which is a good option this time of year, you can understand Briancon closing early due to the snow but Monetier is still good.

Seventy odd Swedes out here at the moment for a wedding today, and from a video I saw last night they scored some good snow top of Montagnolle, though should imagine the run out was a tad dire rolling eyes

And glimpses of sunshine now, and sky looking no where as mean as it was earlier Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers if thé weather is OK I think we'll be over Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Writing the above sort of prompted me into action and to drag the OH out as the weather cleared so we drove up to Monetier and up the Yret chair!

And jees were the Monetier pistes empty!

Off the Yret chair we traversed straight across the ridge and then down, there must have been at least two groups going clambering through the hole in the rock on the other side looking at us wondering if we had gone down too far but they probably did not know we were intending to climb back up Cool

And was a good call to get out as snow was great, and we timed it to perfection.

Still a lot of weather over towards Lautaret / La Grave so maybe was a good call to abandon. And the way the weather is being so fickle between the valleys and experienced people having issues and cursing the "meteo" just goes to show that even within 12 hours predicting the weather is not simply a matter of copy n'paste.

Anyway was good to get out for a couple of hours for what will be the last slack country of the season Crying or Very sad

Run back down into Monetier was just as empty as going up, though looked like quite a few locals having an end of season bash at the Peyra Juana.

Have already descended a fair bit before I took this

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting - though would imagine it's some way off !
http://www.ledauphine.com/economie-et-finance/2016/03/27/serre-chevalier-creer-une-station-nouvelle-a-1900-metres-d-altitude

Feckin grey and grim here today and forecast for more of the same tomorrow Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Circa 11:30 did look like it was brightening up so decided on driving up the Granon road to see how far it was open.

Was tempted to take the skis but decided against it as it was so mild.

We parked up at around 2,000m and hiked up along spines where there was no snow till we hit the snow line on the road which traverses to the Col which was not too bad as it had been bashed down by the armies' winter vehicles.

With all the various buildings up there (barracks) all with stoves etc shame that one is not open as a refuge as would be a great location.

Weather kept coming and going and was a cold brisk wind up there as you can see from Kiki's ears.

Bright going up, with the Serre Che pistes in the background

Tad gloomier on the way back down

And this was back on the 18th December !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You know the winter season is truly coming to an end when the cycling Col signs go up!

And a fair few of you will recognise this, just as well as it was not a busy day as many people park there!

Just imagine you go in for your shop and come out to discover your car is under that lot. Road is now only one lane as fear is the road will collapse.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After the great day in La Grave on Monday I'd promised the dogs and the OH a tour for Tuesday.

We left early to hopefully get the most out of the fresh snow from the previous day but climbing up to the Crête de Côte Plaine knew that was going to be difficult with the wind that had been blowing, but we kept to slopes that were not too wind affected and scored some sweet lines.

Temps rose very quickly and the hard ice lower down transformed to some sweet spring, with the Marmot's coming out to sunbathe Smile

Once back down mid afternoon was a BBQ and temps were well in the 20's.

Selfie atop the Crête with La Grave in the background

Just love the blue sky in this one

Tracks

Day offski today and looks like back to winter end of the week into next!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looking good for the last day of the season on Sunday skiing the pistes with friends, might even get a bit of fresh up top with cold temps.

Then end of season paella back here at chez moi.

And hoping for final ski tour of the season on Monday / Tuesday?

Then back to the UK Wed Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Haven't posted here in a few years, warning that it is a bit of a dated post, but I thought the route might be of interest.

In January I got taken on a long tour by French friends up what is a similar starting point to @Weathercam's rando expeditions, toured up and then got crampons and ice axes out to climb up the ridge of the Pic de Trois Eveches and dropped down the other side down to a lake, a further skin up and then final descent towards La Chazelet with sun going down over La Meije and then hitch hiking to retrieve the car.

http://www.zapiks.fr/la-rando-du-rosbeef-les-3-ev.html

https://www.instagram.com/p/BC2g4ifgIf4/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Christopher, nice trip, I've been to the ridge a couple of times but have never gone over and descended down to Lac Goleon which is up from where my friends live in Les Hieres.

Snow cover was so sparse then on the skin up the Vallons to the Trois Evaches and how you went under the tunnel!

Love how they've titled the video Rando du Rosebeef and one of the comments Super vidéo et chapeau pour l'anglais

Who knew the route ?

Weather not good here this morning, low cloud hanging around in the valley, though we never got the levels of rain that were forecast (wrong again), do hope the cold snap will happen for tomorrow and into next week with some sunshine.

Booked to return Le Havre / Portsmouth next Wed Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We stayed in Le Mouton Noir in Les Hieres. The day was led by a friend who lives in Grenoble and it was new terrain for him, the original plan and one for next time is the couloir pictured but not enough snow hence traversing the ridge http://www.skitour.fr/topos/photo.php?i=797

A few of his videos in the valley:

http://www.zapiks.fr/focus-o-s01e01.html
https://www.facebook.com/serre.chevalier.vallee/videos/10153399655010745/

The Rosbeefs do get a good grilling.

Cheers for sharing your adventures, I've been quietly following them for the past few seasons.
snow conditions
@Christopher, they are shite hot skiers !!!

We do the same runs, and maybe I put more turns in, but I don't huck anything, well at least not intentionally !!

Last day of the season today, and it's sunny but with a cold breeze, and we're going piste cafe skiing with friends!!
latest report
Last day for the resort yesterday and went up piste cruising with friends in glorious, but cold sunshine, though a lot of lifts closed which was a tad frustrating as could see some good lines to ski but couldn't get to them, think the past week they've gone back to the reduced staff levels as before Xmas.

Then it was back home to here for an end of season paella, with the last people leaving here around 23:00 and I have a mighty sore head this morning which has stopped me from touring this morning along with a strong wind and temps the coldest it's been all April rolling eyes

Geezonaires..............
snow conditions
Geezonaires... Smile Weird-looking bunch, how do I get to join? wink
Thanks for your reports through the season - always fun to read.
snow report
Chamcham wrote:
Geezonaires... Smile Weird-looking bunch, how do I get to join? wink

Get old, live in Serre Che for the winter.................... Laughing
snow conditions
@KenX, Very Happy Very Happy sounds good to me.
ski holidays
@KenX, seems to work for you Smile
ski holidays
One last hurrah!

And we so nearly bailed on the way up as was pretty grim touring up into a stiff cold breeze from the NW similar to yesterday, and ironic in that in the valley when we drove up the wind was from the South.

Had to walk with the skis for the first ten minutes then skinning over patches of grass. As we climbed up I started to think about going up into an area we've never skied as seemed to be the best option for powder and we were not disappointed (way off to skiers left from where I went with KenX) with some great lines. And then once off the road it was back into spring snow and a bit of a grass skiing to finish off.

ski holidays
Sent an email off on Monday and just recieved this today Smile

Monsieur

Je viens de vous rembourser la somme de 186.00€ concernant la fermeture de la route du Chambon – conformément à notre mail de début de saison. 93.00€ pour votre forfait et 93.00€ pour le forfait de Mme DEED Elaine. Cette somme sera sur votre compte bancaire dans les prochains jours. Remboursement effectué via la plateforme de paiement vente en ligne.

Nous vous souhaitons un bon été et vous donnons rendez-vous la saison prochaine.

We also dropped off on Tuesday hard copy forms at the office in Chantermerle, just in case they wanted hard copies!!!
ski holidays
@Weathercam,

"One last hurrah!" - do you mean you expect no more snow this season or are you now heading somewhere else?
And I should like to congratulate your dog on the fab photos. A pat on the head is well deserved wink
ski holidays
@Weathercam, as we had to come back to the UK in January after only one day, we actually sent back our season passes for refund. As the pound was not so strong as it had been we got more back than we'd paid for the pass back in August.
snow report
Just had an email from fellow geezonaires still in Serre:

It's bloody snowing !!!!!!

Further Edit just s3en that it's still snowing this morning!
latest report
This is always a great week to be out in Serre - Cols Reserve - Cols closed for cyclists

Though still seems to be some debate over which Cols will be closed from the looks of things - though does look like it's definitely 4th - 8th July

http://www.lemedia05.com/2015/26325/cols-reserves-quatre-dates-deja-fixees-pour-les-cyclistes-en-juillet-2016/

http://www.cyclo-lucalphand.com/les-cols-partages-du-brianconnais/presentation
snow conditions
Bizarre overnight snow fall in Serre
http://www.dici.fr/actu/2016/05/19/hautes-alpes-neige-mi-mai-serre-chevalier-rien-d-etonnant-selon-habitants-789194

Recognise the first interviewee Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Very Happy
latest report
can we safely say winter is over?
snow report
Drove down yesterday, left Kent in torrential rain / storms - and had that through Northern France - around Reims weather cleared and temp rose all the way to Lyon where it peaked at 36.5.

Got off train at 09:37 and arrived at Lac d'Aiguebelette (before Chambery) at 17:00, so under seven and a half hours - had one 15 min stop and then a 5 min fuel stop.

Hour and a bit with my brother, left there at 18:30 and arrived here at 20:30 - so fast trip !!!

And had come rain coming over Montgenevre.

Cam is back on so you can see the gardening that has to be done Toofy Grin
ski holidays
31 degrees today, so cleaned the bikes rather than riding.........

Then made a BBQ corner for tonight with weathercam!

snow conditions
Been out for a couple of days and in between trashing the kitchen in readiness for @KenX, to make all good ( Toofy Grin ) I've been out on the bike(s).

Friday took MTB up to Frejus with Les Chiens, (Pi Mai does not open till July 1st) around the Vallons lift and back down past the "crappy chair" where all the chairs are off, so hopefully they are giving it a revamp / new cable etc, though I doubt it's a new chair as why leave all the old chairs still there, anyway will keep an eye on things.

Friday evening nice BBQ c/o Lyn and Ken

Then as weather was seriously hot on Thurs / Fri thought I'd do Galibier in the morning. As I left here on the road bike I was caught up in a chain gang of around 15 cyclists, who turned out to be Brits staying in Chantermerle and that was great getting carried along in the pack.

As we rode up the valley conditions further up were looking seriously grim low dense thundery dark cloud down to around 2,000m - we turned off to ride the lower valley road to Le Casset - at that point they had to wait for stragglers of the group to catch up, so I carried on telling them that they might see me again if it was wet.

And sure enough a few km past Le Casset the rain started and so did the wind in advance of the more serious downpour I suspected which was rapidly turning into a mini squall. As I past them on the return I shouted out and carried on with the wind behind me.

Cycling past Monetier I looked back and the weather was clearing a little so I carried on and in the end opted to cycle the Granon as weather looked to be ok, though not the best option as usually good to have a few more days cycling at altitude before cycling the beast that is the Granon.

On the way up my phone rang a few times, and my phone tells me who is calling and it was a mate from La Grave, so second time I stopped and answered it. He'd cycled from La Grave to Briancon earlier to get his van which was being serviced and he confirmed when driving back over the Lautaret that the rain was torrential and roads very slippery.

Other good thing about doing the Granon was that it being a Saturday the main valley road up to the Lautaret / Galibier was very busy with traffic of all types whilst think on the Granon ten cars must have past me.

I had to chuckle to my self though how it was dry down this end and wet up the other.

Loads of Porsches on a big rally and then literally hundreds of Harley Davidsons as there is a big rally in Briancon this weekend.

Next weekend there is the French Downhill VTT (MTB) Championships here in Villeneuve with the finish on the Mickey. Evidently Fabien Barel and Florian Nicolai are top world championship riders rolling eyes

latest report
Been out for a couple of weeks and have had some great weather with some very hot temps (low to mid 30's) - at least one day per week has seen wet weather with thunderstorms, and then the weather is clear for another five or six days.

Few Saturday's ago we were descending on road bikes from Sestrierre and we could see the bad weather coming our way from Montgenevre, and the squall that then hit us nearly knocked us off our bikes and rain was torrential.

10km down the road we were on dry roads heading towards Oulx and Susa.

Then yesterday talking to some friends and then told us how they were soaked over in the valley behind us in Nevache, whilst down at KenX's bbq we were dry all afternoon / early evening.

This week we're going to see the weather dramatically change from the recent hot weather, and looking at the charts you can see a very active cold front tracking across and that's what's bringing the much cooler weather for a couple of days, and we're due to see temps well below freezing at altitude!

That cold NW'ly has the locals calling it the Mistral, and that's another reason for me not to go down to Ventoux to watch the Tour de France on Thursday because the Ventoux is renowned for the affects of the Mistral!
ski holidays
@Weathercam, noticeably cooler up here in Monetier this morning. Intermittent showers and sunshine. Even the dogs had a lie in today.
snow conditions
Clouds are coming down again. Not an ideal time to hang out the washing wink
latest report
Massive thunderstorm last night.
ski holidays
Twas a bonkers storm indeed - first thunder clap sounded like we were slap bang in the middle of it and then carried on all around us hardly moving it seemed.

KenX down the valley 10km only had rain but heard the thunder!
ski holidays
Hey guys,

Just found out my school are heading to Serre Chevalier next year for our ski week (20th of January onwards). Been looking through this thread and very excited, especially at the prospect of all that tree skiing! Since I can take January off, I'm considering spending the whole of January there and having friends come and ski the other weeks. I've a few questions if people might be able to help:

- Is there a best village to stay in for access to the mountain?

- I'm currently hesitating between staying with the UCPA the various weeks (around 450 a week with ski pass and lessons) before the school trip or trying to rent an apartment for the whole month and buy a season pass. That way I can come back later in the season if I find the time. Does anyone have an inkling of how much it might be to rent an apartment in the area for January (excluding NYE) for 6/8 people? I've had a look on leboncoin but it's a bit early for people to be advertising.

– Any recommendations for good off-piste or touring instructors? Just got myself some of the Beast bindings that were on sale so I hope to make my first foray into touring during the next season…

Thanks a million!
snow report
@LeFou, Why not look on the resort website to get an idea of prices.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy