Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski hire question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
First time skiing in Europe for 20 years next year and I'm looking to hire skis in Les Menuires. The Intersport website asks for "Date de debut". If I put in the Sunday does that mean I can pick up the skis late Saturday afternoon or early evening or do they make you wait till your first day of ski hire? I'm assuming that I can, just wanting to make sure.

A related question - in Les Menuires in mid March (after French school holidays, before Easter) are places like ski hire shops likely to be packed out on the Saturday? My accommodation is all sorted so not worrying about that.

And final question, in Australia I'd be "upper intermediate" and can ski down the easier Australian blacks quite fine. Twenty years ago we had a week in Val Cenis and if I remember most run in the resort, and I did a little of the easier off-piste (with a guide). Looking at ski hire I'm trying to decide between "pack rouge" and "pack noir", leaning towards pack noir. But as I'm getting older (50) wondering if the higher grade skis will be harder to turn and handle. I plan spending most days on red runs but want to do some of the blacks, and have an off-piste day as well.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, you can pick up the night before. I've just looked at the intersport website,and it does look confusing. I think in the French version, it's the date of the start if your stay, so if you arrive on a Saturday, use that as the start date. At that time of year, I don't think the ski shop should be too rammed on a Saturday afternoon. As to which ski package. I would always go for the best you can afford. If you don't like the skis they will always let you swap them for something different. Hire shops tend to rent out piste orientated skis whichever package you go for (and that's what the pack noir skis are). For full on off piste, you would probably would want to go back and hire some wider ones.
Hope you have fun in Les Menuires. I spent a season there 10 years ago and have been back many times since, staying in the more picturesque St Martin de Belleville down the valley.
Les Menuires is, as you will know from your research, bl**dy ugly, but the skiing is awesome. Make sure you get a full 3 valleys lift pass. For an off piste day, I recommend Vincent Suchel who works for "Ski School". We had excellent fun with him on and off piste a couple of years ago.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy