Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggle lenses for Flat Light - R U colour blind?

Poster: A snowHead
I struggle in so-called 'Flat Light' to see any bumps or undulations whatsovever. I understand that most people have similar problems but wonder if a colour blindness does anything to exacerbate the effect ? ( Look ! It's a better excuse than poor technique - prior to wearing contact lenses I assumed it was just poor focus).

I don't like 'Dark' lenses for that reason and prefer yellow/blue/light orange tinge normally.

Anyone found an answer to my quandry?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eEvans, shouldn't have any effect, the yellow/red lenses filter out blue light which gives a percieved increase in contrast, it doesn't generally matter what colour you see things as because in whiteout/flat light conditions you are really only seeing in black and white
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Find a good bar for the rest of the day wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
eEvans, Decent lenses in goggles like Oakleys will help....and lots of practice in those flat light and white out conditions. Eventually you will improve, still fall over though, everyone does Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D G Orf, Heck that kind of insight is 'Kramer' quality.. Thanks
snowbunny, All I want to do is 'eventually' see the damn bumps. The 'falling over' comes naturally.
george owen, Yes, but I do have to get down to them first Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
eEvans,
Quote:

snowbunny, All I want to do is 'eventually' see the damn bumps. The 'falling over' comes naturally.

Try skiing with your eyes closed, you don't need to see the bumps...feel them wink Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowbunny, 3677 posts and you still haven't learnt I haven't opened my eyes yet? Very Happy I do feel the bumps ..especially those on my shins, shoulders, ribs , knees , calves, head etc.

PS Understood where you are coming from but I have some way to go to be that 'good' Embarassed
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eEvans, I was not joking BTW. Go find a gentle slope, shut your eyes and unlock your knees Madeye-Smiley ..If your eyes can't cope with seeing what you are skiing on, then you need to raise the game with your other senses wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eEvans, All joking aside for a sec.(it's only funny until someone gets hurt..........then it's hilarious!) I am colourblind(ref your original thread), and my night vision is lousy.I found out that the rear of my corneas(?) have become slightly "milky" to quote my optician.(too much arc/mig welding). But i have skied with my son in poor conditions/flat light etc and he hasn't fared much better.(his eyesight is OK and he isn't colourblind). We both managed to turn onto an adjoining piste and tried to ski uphill!!. I threw the towel in after skiing into an unseen compression and smacked my knees into my chin. My previous Smith goggles had the "lightest" yellow lenses but were of little help. I could see just as much when i took them off.
When things get too bad to see and skiing stops being fun. Plan B. Find a bar! rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
george owen, And ski into it?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've borrowed some Oakley wisdom goggles that had a really expensive lens in them and they were great in flat light, but they did cost something like £250 or thereabouts. Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Last year I got a pair of Addidas Yodias. Brill in Bright sunlight but deadly in white out / flat light conditions.

This year I have bought a new lens for flat light conditions.

easy to change between the two len's.

Original Goggles cost £80.00 additional lens cost £33.00

I will let you know after next week if the flat light lens work.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Someone on Epic has just got the Bolle X500 with phototropic lenses. Eminently sensible idea imo

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=34484
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Super Eagle, I bought a pair of the Adidas Yodais during the summer, but I haven't yet used them. Which lenses did you originally have in them which are hopeless in flat light? (fingers crossed!)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Super Eagle, I'm in exactly the same situation as Cathy Coins with the Yodai goggles, except for I've already ordered another lens. The goggles came with an LST lens, the additional ones I've ordered are the orange lens. Here's hoping your reply confirms I've made the right choice!
snow report
I found my cebes by standing outside the shop and trying on every goggle in there, on a flat light day, until I got one I could see the bumps in...They are pretty reasonable, substantially better than nothing, or anyone elses goggles/glasses I've tried. And as an added unexpected bonus they were only about 50E...They are a pale orange/yellow mirror lens. aj xx
latest report
Hi Cathy Coins and Yard Sale Junkie. ill try and help you.

The lens's in my original yodias were of a slightly orange/brown coluor. these were superb in bright sunlight and the all round vision is excellant.

Last year whilst skiing in valmorel the weather closed in and although only light snow the cloud was low and although we decided to ski within the tree line perception of depth and knowing which was snow and which was sky was very hairy.

To those who have not skied in these conditions before its really strange and slightly scary when you are suddenly skiing along on what you think is flat ground and then all of a sudden the ground just falls away from you. It certainly makes your stomach churn.

The new len's that I have just bought look exactly the same but the orange/brown tint is less prominent. For example on my original lens's it also as a mirrored finish so you cannot see my eyes but with my new flat light lens's you can me eyes through the lens's.
latest report
Just had a look. Both len's are marked Antifog Advantage PC Lens.

Sorry for not being much help.

I can only say that if you look through your lens's into a mirror and you can clearly see your eyes then maybe you have the flat light len's. If you can't then you may have the Bright light lens's.

Just looked in Snow and rock catalogue and they offer both a Mirrored Lens and LST lens.

So probably goes to prove what i was saying earlier.
ski holidays
sh*t sh*t

After much discussion of whether you can see my eyes through the lens (they are orange/brown) & whether they were mirrored we decided you could and they weren't. Only for me to find the instruction booklet which says they are protection level 3. And that means they are suitable for powerful sunshine, according to the booklet Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad They should be protection level 0 for cloudy weather.

I only wear my goggles in poor conditions so I wanted them for flat light.

Super Eagle, could you let me know where you got your replacement lenses from please? These are going to be expensive goggles! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Found a good site here with info on the different types of Adidas lenses, if anyone's interested. And they sell the lenses for £25, with details of what the protection level is. Any opinions on whether I should get the yellow (sun protection 0, light absorption 14% for better vision in fog) or orange (sun protection 1, light absorption 36%)? I guess I should get the ones with some protection from the light, ie orange.

*Edited to add additional info
latest report
yard sale junkie, according to the website above you are correct. Your original lenses are the same as mine and the orange lenses are the correct replacements for flat light.
ski holidays
Cathy Coins

Bought mine from SNOW AND ROCK. replacement len's cost £32.95. If you have found somewhere selling them for £25 then you have got a good deal.

However SNOW AND ROCK do price match. Wish I had known your source when I had bought mine.

Im off skiing this weekend so I will report back on their performance upon my return. Sometimes its not until you are actually faced with the actual conditions can you tell how good a product performs.

I don't know why I should feel agrieved but the long range forcast for my resort is bright sunshine. May not have to worry about flat light after all.
snow report
I've also purchased a pair of Yodais for the forthcoming season and chose the LST lens because it's designed for variable light conditions even though it has a protection factor of 3. The rose tint will brighten the image and improve contrast even though it only lets through 14%. I had some Bolles with a very similar lens (rose with mirror tint) and they were fine. I also had some smith goggles with a rose les and no tint which were fine in flat light but not great with the sun out. If the goggle blocks more light, your pupils will simply enlarge to let more light in! Cool A mate of mine has the orange mirror and finds it fine in all light too but during a total white out he was lost. In this case, I guess you'll struggle to see even with yellow lenses.
snow conditions
Cathy Coins wrote:
Found a good site here with info on the different types of Adidas lenses, if anyone's interested. And they sell the lenses for £25, with details of what the protection level is. Any opinions on whether I should get the yellow (sun protection 0, light absorption 14% for better vision in fog) or orange (sun protection 1, light absorption 36%)? I guess I should get the ones with some protection from the light, ie orange.

*Edited to add additional info

'tis a good deal, same as my trade price +VAT and packaging! Thanks for the link, just ordered!

ScottyDog
snow conditions
Only probs for me is we're off next Saturday and not sure if the lenses will come before then. Feel a bit aggrieved as I sought advice from Snow&Rock to check these particular lenses were suitable for flat light (but I suppose it serves me right as I then bought them over the internet from the States for a bargain price!). Might have to see if S&R have them in store/can get them in store so I can pop in to get them.

And then I'll probably be like Super Eagle and have beautiful sunny conditions all week. Sods law.
snow report
Cathy Coins, I wouldn't worry too much! I follow the (marine) forecasts and frankly I see only bright skies ( and cold temperatures slowly warming ) on the horizon for the next week. There is a small chance of a depression coming in but my money is on cold and clear -
snow conditions
eEvans, oooh that'd be lovely as there's good snow there already Laughing I shall pray for no small depressions to come along Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy