Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring binding for occasional use & ABS Zip ons?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,
looking for a bit of advice as . I'm mostly looking to do lift-served off-piste in France this season. I've got a pair of Salomon Q98's that I'm happy with (there's potential to go bigger if money is available...) and I know these aren't really suitable for day-touring, but from my experience last season it would've been nice just to un hook and slide rather than side step or attempting to skate uphill.

I've got Tyrolia AAAttack 13's right now and they feel great - so I'm eyeing up the touring version to replace them with as there seems to be some pretty good value deals out there just now.
Is it worth it or am I going to lose too much downhill performance for the sake of making life that little bit easier now and then? Also, my boots are fixed cuff (Atomic Hawx) so would that negate any positive from having the touring binding?

Also on a side note, I'm debating whether to get my own ABS bag - I keep seeing 'zip ons' that are pretty cheap. I borrowed a standard ABS bag while away last season but there were no dedicated pockets for hydration/lunch/probe/shovel - it was all just dumped into the main section which was maybe about 10L tops. Would I better buying a zip on and renting an airbag for when its needed or having my own bag?

Thanks for the advice
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need to check which ABS you will be renting, as there are 2 models with zip on capability, the Powder and the Vario, and the zip on packs are not compatible with each other.

I've had an ABS Vario for 5-6 years, and agree that many of the ABS zip on packs are just bags, especially the lightweight ones. Those that do have hydration support, place the bladder on the outer compartment of the pack, which is bad for both carrying and water freezing.

I switched to the Dakine zip on packs (the 15ltr, 25ltr and 40ltr), which IMO are better built and offer better management. When I bought mine, you could buy the zip on as a normal back back, with straps etc, so you had a fully functional back pack without the airbag, and then just zip off the back for ABS usage. I usually take the 40ltr (without the airbag) as my hand luggage, as I can fit my ski boots in it.

This is the list of the zip on packs on the ABS site, but I have seen others as well.

https://www.abs-airbag.com/en/compatible-partners.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Those skis are totally fine for touring, and IME you don't lose any performance going downhill on frame touring bindings like Marker Baron, Salomon Guardian, etc (until after a couple of seasons they get sloppy side to side).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@haigie, If you want to tour -- i.e. use skins to travel up the mountain you have to have bindings with a tour mode, and skins to go on the base of the skis. The skis themselves don't really matter. A fixed cuff on the boots will make your progress uphill slower and more uncomfortable compared to a touring boot with a tour mode.

So Touring bindings and skins are obligatory for touring. Lighter skis and touring boots just make it less hard work.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
in terms of your boots the Hawx comes in a range of flex. A lowish flex is unlikely to cause you big problems on a short ish skin up (undoing the top buckle to give you range of movement and putting into walk mode if it has one).

I skied plenty of places with regular ski boots and a frame binding (Marker f10) and don't think you need new touring boots at this stage
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the insights guys. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I started with alpine boots with fixed cuff; I would unbuckle the cuffs for uphill to increase the range of motion. For short ascents it worked well.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yea I figured I could get away with opening up the cuff.

Anyone had any experience with the Tyrolia AAAdrenalin?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy