Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Met office lose bbc contract

Poster: A snowHead
This is very bad news for UK winter forecasting.
I wonder if it means an end to the fantastic bbc weather app which has transformed trip planning here ?

No indication who is taking over the contract or when but I carnt see how it will improve accuracy. Expect a dumb down

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34031785 Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like it has not been put out to tender yet. In theory the Met office could still win the tender?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Met Office website is pretty good for on the day forecasts but there are many other websites that seem to be more reliable for longer term forecasts. Do they all use different forms of forecasting?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like the selection criteria for the tendering process are Service and Value. The outcome will depend on the weighting given to each. No doubt there is someone who can do it cheaper, but what value do the Beeb put on service ? What serious competitors are there ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I expect more entertainment and a lot of dumbing down in the TV presentations. The major forecasting models are available to most companies but I will miss the current BBC forecasting style. It is understandable for the masses but there is more stuff for those of us that know a bit about weather and rely on it for trend information - and in that I include farmers, fliers, walkers, sailors, gardeners and skiers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Reportedly they will retain Met Office for severe weather and pollen/UV warnings. Hope it's not the end of Carol Kirkwood of the telly Toofy Grin

@snowrider, Reading the report suggests to me that it has and the contract has been awarded but is in a standstill period awaiting objections. So yes Met Office could get the result turned over but I think that's unlikely. Another great British tradition going west Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think it's a shame, too, but the forecasts have been dumbed down for a while now, partly because they are given a ridiculously short length of time to convey what is sometimes a complex picture.

It's years since the surface pressure isobars disappeared as a routine part of the forecast.

I always use the Met Office site direct - I wonder if that will change? I'd pay (a bit.....) for a decent forecast if necessary.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@halfhand, I think I have read somewhere that Carol Kirkwood is a BBC employee.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Pamski, Yes picked that up after my post. Phew! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@halfhand, Smile Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think the Met office has been in decline and loosing credibility for some time. Not to mention all that money on a super computer and the forecasts seem to be getting worse.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maybe the contract will go to Jeremy Corbyn's brother, Piers.

http://www.weatheraction.com
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does TUPE apply Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Met Office its self will still exist, and continue to forecast in the same format, the BBC isn't their only client or format. They simply won't be on the BBC, forecasting in what is presumably a BBC format.
So we will still be able to get forecasts for from Met Office for Skiing, walking, flying, holiday destinations, farming etc. Just not as broadcasts.

Agree that severing the link with 'aunty' is sad, however finances are constantly under scrutiny (especially for a publicly funded body), to secure 'best value'. Personally I would the BBC weather and world services to be considered a public service, and funded entirely by
government/taxation.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stewart woodward wrote:
Does TUPE apply Puzzled
I did read that the presenters would move across to work for the new service but I don't know if TUPE applies.
latest report
Quote:

Personally I would the BBC weather and world services to be considered a public service, and funded entirely by
government/taxation

but that doesn't make any difference to the need to get best VFM.
ski holidays
Who judges what is VFM, the broadcaster, or the users (you and I)?
VFM is often decided as with the BBC within the constraints of a financial envelope, which
as we know is forever becoming smaller. The danger is that VFM is interpreted as 'cheapest'
for a limited sett of criteria or services.

Do we trust the BBC to make the right decision, or do we feel that they are cornered into making decisions around cost saving
just to appear viable?
latest report
What if an alternative provider could provide better quality forecasts for less money? Surely it would be hard for anyone to say that wasn't better value for money?
latest report
Surely anyone watching general TV forecasts when most of us carry a device giving us hour by hour for a specific location are only interested in the weather in a general sense. I'm personally agnostic as to the data source behind forecasts. I current use the BBC weather app but could happily revert to the Met Office one.
snow report
Quote:

I'm personally agnostic as to the data source behind forecasts.

I'm agnostic as to the source of the data, but I always look at the isobars as well as the forecast, to get a feel for how things are developing. Especially if a decision as to whether, and where, to go sailing depends on the judgement.....
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, But for trends and assessing the odds of what you are doing at the weekends those apps are useless. As they are for forecasting amounts of snow etc.
snow conditions
In terms of tender evaluation criteria, these will be formulated by the BBC and, as is stated above, it will likely based on a blend of service offering and value. If the current presenters are Met Office employees and spend most of their time on BBC work, it is highly likely they will TUPE across to the new provider. So in terms of personnel at least, I doubt much will change.
snow report
Am I alone in never having heard of Carol Kirkwood? I recognise all the other BBC weather presenters, but her name doesn't ring any bells at all. Does she do the 5am slot or just BBC Hebrides or something?

Not all the BBC presenters are emploees. Tomascz Shaffernaker is a met office emploee for example.

@AndAnotherThing..,
Quote:

Not to mention all that money on a super computer and the forecasts seem to be getting worse.
Is there actually any proof of that? My view was that the forecasts are getting infinitely more accurate with every passing year.
snow conditions
For all forecasters the accuracy is generally improving year-on-year. There are a number of big government organisations (For instance, NOAA) that have publicly available models and the forecasters combine these with their own local knowledge. I'm not sure if there's data for the Met Office, but's here some info for US forecasts:
https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/files/2014/10/skill.png&w=1484
snow report
This is what the Met Office says about its accuracy, or in summary:

snow report
@rob@rar,

Is that the usual "PMSL" or something specifically meteorological ?
snow conditions
Of course the forecasts are getting more accurate - but if the top British entertainment is moaning about the weather, the second is moaning about the weather forecasters.
snow report
@Red Leon, not sure but it did make me giggle when I saw it Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Is there actually any proof of that?

Yes, my well regarded but poorly documented "cancelled fishing trips due to prospect of rain v actual weather series." Wink
snow report
Annoyingly I can't find it right now but when the Met Office/BBC contract first came up for renewal I read an article that in a meta study the Met Office was the LEAST accurate of the major forecasting agencies...
snow conditions
The Met Office could have improved their forecasting accuracy, as in the graph above, but also be the least accurate of the major agencies. No contradiction there; the whole science has been advanced enormously by super-computers but weather remains (thankfully) far too complex to be pinned down.
snow report
halfhand wrote:
Hope it's not the end of Carol Kirkwood of the telly Toofy Grin

Well, no, as she's on Strictly Come Dancing this year, you'll definitely see her on Saturday nights in lycra, sequins and a fake tan Shocked .
latest report
Looking at the met office site, a couple of things struck me. Their targets for next year are lower than they are achieving now and while longer term forecasts are getting better the short term ones ie the ones we see on the bbc have remained much the same.
snow report
So where is better to go for weather forecasting than the met office?

For me, the met office issue 'severe' weather warnings too easily, and it has made us change our plans unnecessarily. It's a bit like 'crying wolf', we are now starting to ignore them but one day we probably should take note.
ski holidays
NE1 wrote:
So where is better to go for weather forecasting than the met office?

For me, the met office issue 'severe' weather warnings too easily, and it has made us change our plans unnecessarily. It's a bit like 'crying wolf', we are now starting to ignore them but one day we probably should take note.
I've found them to be pretty accurate, but only if you go into detail. The BBC tend to simply announce that weather warnings have been issued. What you obviously need to look at is the matrix they release showing probability and risk of disruption. The Met office did get caught out in 2007 with the floods and since then i think they have been a little more cautious.
snow report
jbob wrote:
Looking at the met office site, a couple of things struck me. Their targets for next year are lower than they are achieving now and while longer term forecasts are getting better the short term ones ie the ones we see on the bbc have remained much the same.

I'm assuming this is the page you are referring to: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/who/accuracy/forecasts

Are we criticising them for meeting their targets or for not increasing their targets above the current level?

I think it's logical that long-term forecasts should be increasing much faster than short term. Short term are already incredibly accurate and there is only so much farther they can go. With long-term forecatss it is far easier to make a 10% improvement.
ski holidays
Use WeatherPro . . . .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy