Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

9 days in les arcs at Easter - but how?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A bit of a quandary here. For next years Easter holiday, I’d really like to take advantage of Good Friday and head down to the Alps Thurs night by train - it seems like too good an opportunity to miss for a once-a-year skier like me.

Last year we stayed at Roc Belle Face in Arcs 1600, really liked it location/facilities/price wise, so plan to return. We stayed there at the same time (technically a week earlier Easter-wise), and the place was only half full, so I would imagine they’ll easily accommodate the extra day. But, like everywhere they are only offering Sat-Sat at this stage – I spoke to them yesterday, and not surprisingly they said they would only be able to discuss the additional Friday night a month or so before departure, once they saw what was available. Of course the tickets for the train will have all been bought and paid for well before then.

So … does anyone have any suggestions for mitigating this risk, as rest of the family (three kids and particularly wife) are naturally not too keen on risking being homeless for a night. I’m sure there’s excellent odds that Roc will come up with a room, but are there any fall back options people can see ? The only idea I’ve come up with so far is booking the whole prior week somewhere as well, and cancelling once they’ve come up trumps – but of course that’s an expensive option if it doesn’t pan out, and I might not be able to get a free cancellation. Can anyone recommend any suitable small hotels in BSM that would accommodate a night’s stay ?

Any other ideas ? I don’t fancy the drive, so that’s not really an option either.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just had a look at Booking.com

Nothing coming up in Bourg...BUT a few options available for Good Friday, 25th March, within 5 or 6 miles - easily do-able by taxi - eg:

Apartments Le Combe De Moulin in Peisey Nancroix (at the foot of Les Arcs area) - Apartment for 2 adults and 3 kids for only £53 all in. So definitely worth the taxi fare. Other places are available in the area for about £100 for all of you.

Another alternative (which I haven't checked out) would be to stay the night in Moutiers, which is a stop or two before Bourg. There are a number of cheap hotels around the station there, then continue your journey by train. Names escape me but I have done a one night stay there over an easter weekend.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Pejoli, go on the les arcs bourg tourist office web page and check out the section for hotels etc in Bourg. There are four or five. Trouble is for one night might be difficult as this is a holiday weekend. Good luck and if you still have no joy get back to me and I can ask around if you still need somewhere for a night. Hope that helps.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not all vacancies are released yet. The half term holidays will have finished a couple weeks before Easter and the French (the main clients of Arc1600) tend not to go skiing at Easter so I imagine there will still plenty of availabliity. There usually is at Easter.

Have a look at the other residencies. They will probably save you you a fair bit of money. As @snowcrazy, says, the tourist office is a good place to start.

If it was me I would book the train as soon as the tickets become available - I think they will not become available until 3 months before departure anyway
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pejoli, eurostar now offering a London- Geneva service which might open things up a little. We did several 9 day Easters before we moved out, no worries.

Also, Les Arcs I presume suffer (?) a little that it's purpose built and you're at the mercy of e.g. Pierre et Vacances. We did at least one trip with an independently owned apartment.

If you're wedded to Les Arcs, none of that will help of course Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Also, Les Arcs I presume suffer (?) a little that it's purpose built and you're at the mercy of e.g. Pierre et Vacances. We did at least one trip with an independently owned apartment.

I do not understand this statement. Les Arcs has a lot of independently owned apartments, probably the vast majority. Many of these are let through a number of letting agengies and the resort tourist office and of course idenpendently.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd wing-it. If you can't find accommodation for one night at fairly short notice, I'll eat my goggles.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, as I said, I "presumed" (that it was rather like Avoriaz where many (most?) are privately owned but under leaseback arrangements and thus controlled by the developer to an extent and thus at the mercy of the (French) agencies who often (typically) mandate Saturday-Saturday). Somewhat like timeshare.

Great for everyone if not.

@Don Keebles, family of five with a clearly discerning wife "winging it"??? You must be mad. You haven't met my (discerning) wife Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There'd be no problem "winging it" with a car - plenty of pleasant small hotels around. But winging it with a family, lots of luggage and no transport...... maybe not.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
But no need to wing it if Pejoli can book a night's nearby accommodation for £53 now rolling eyes Puzzled Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy