Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Roccaraso at New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at skiing here over New Year. Is there likely to be any snow or is it too early in the season?

Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have no idea what the answer to your question is, but it looks a very interesting place to ski and not one I've seen much mention of on snowheads. Please do a trip report with lots of pictures!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
near Naples, @under a new name.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How interesting. Got to love these unknown Italian places.

Looks like fun.

Anywhere at New Year is a bit risky and my immediate thought is that it's a bit south. But no idea other than that.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Anywhere at New Year is a bit risky

I think that's the key point, really. It does look fun and if the snow's not terrific the food probably is!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, and the wine!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
and the coffee!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ended up booking in (Breuil) Cervinia. Can't wait but bit nervous that some reviews complain that the resort is often closed due to high winds
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi,
I see you've booked elsewhere but just in case you fancy it for the future.
Roccaraso is pretty local to me and except for last year, which was as poor early on here as most of Europe, it is often open in December and has been regularly open early December in my 10 years down here. It's comfortably the biggest of a lots of little and lovely spots to ski in the appennini and is certainly a very different experience to that you'll get in Cervinia but can be a lot of fun. The area also set a world record for snowfall last March ( somewhere around 2.6m in 18hours) and offers huge touring potential if you sway that way.

If you fancy checking conditions I keep a bit of a photoblog which has plenty of examples of the conditions down here over the last few years.

http://cheekynorthernmonkey.blogspot.it

Take care
Enjoy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Welcome to Snowheads, @woolhead, snowHead That's a very interesting first post - the area sounds fascinating, and I'm determined to visit it sometime.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some great photos in your blogs....... we tend to be very parochial in our discussions about ski resorts on Snowheads. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you get down here.
The Apennini have a lot to offer and you can visit some wonderful spots alongside enjoying the skiing whilst getting to eat and drink well. It just requires a different mindset to the alpine areas.
If you ever want to know more just give me a shout
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great pics. Interesting area.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Glad you enjoyed them - I've enjoyed many of your pics whilst lurking around on here for the last couple of years
In terms of touring I've done lots more than I have photos for if anyone ever wants any details on the Appennini. There are 240 odd peaks over 2000m and some offer vertical drops of 2km if you're willing to shimmy up
Stay well
ski holidays
Thanks.

Ooohhh. Gets more interesting.

2k vert. Please tell more.
snow report
If I have to sell my apartment in the next year or so, which is likely (reaching 70 makes mortgage more difficult) I will look forward to visiting lots of different areas. Not to climb up and ski 2 km vertical - I'm not good enough for that. But just to go to different places - a little skiing, a little eating, a little drinking, some good walks, maybe a bit of XC. Cosa c'e di meglio?
ski holidays
Mike Pow. - if you search for sci alpinismo Maiella Google should show up a few routes off the Majella massif which can get up toward 2km of drop in a great year but also offers plenty of gullies giving 1500m or so regularly ( Rava Bianca or any of the variations on the west side )
You might also like to nose around what's on offer in the Gran Sasso area ( Corno Grande is the highest peak in the Appennini at 2912m ) and offers some lovely drops ( search for sci alpinismo direttissima Corno grande, or canale sivitilli, canale bissolari, primo scrimone )
And sci alpinismo Sibillini, Velino Sirente, Monti Della Laga, Terminillo, Parco Nazionale D'Abruzzo searches should all produce some info you might enjoy.

As you'd imagine with the sea having such an effect on our weather we can get plenty of snow but it can go just as quick. That said, I've never had less than 5 months on the snow in 10 years here.

Pam W - sounds like you'd love it down here. If you ever want any advice on Agriturismi ( farmhouse B and B ) to stay in where you can access fun skiing and eat wonderfully just shout.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy