Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro alternative?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@davidof, thanks for that - the stills retain the definition so I guess it's YouTube butchering to blame. Have you used the xiaomi in very bright light/snow and if so is it ok?

@philwig, imho the problem ive experienced is less about the dynamic range and more about whether the camera can stop down far enough and has a high enough shutter speed to avoid overexposing everything.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowdave wrote:
@davidof, thanks for that - the stills retain the definition so I guess it's YouTube butchering to blame. Have you used the xiaomi in very bright light/snow and if so is it ok?

I will get back to you in November when it snows.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowdave wrote:
@philwig, imho the problem ive experienced is less about the dynamic range and more about whether the camera can stop down far enough and has a high enough shutter speed to avoid overexposing everything.
I think the 1st gen action cameras had that problem - the Contour I had struggled with snow in bright sunlight, and needed an ND filter to fix exposure issues. I think the 1st gen GoPro was the same. But the GoPro 3 and 4 seem to be fine in this respect.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
philwig wrote:
There's the Hero 4 session which will do 1080p although I've not tried it. That is a smaller size and shape.

I have a Replay XD and the footage is, well, let's just say I've never used it for anything other than turning motorists into the police when I'm cycling. A handy form factor, horrible quality.

I like the look of the Sonys and they do make fine video and stills cameras. I have not tried them. I would look at what real users post from them and decide if you think that's good enough.

I have the Hero 4k (which I paid for, albeit in the US) simply because of the footage quality. The desktop wallpaper on the 4k monitor I'm using is a 4k image grabbed from that GoPro. The form factor isn't great, but I use it in a "frame mount" (off brand Chinese one) which reduces the weight and bulk a bit (you don't need it to be submersible unless you're water skiing or something).

+1
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy