Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If your year could only have one season all year round, what would it be: Summer or Winter?

Poster: A snowHead
Mrs KenX asked me this at breakfast and I have to admit it was a tough call!
In the end I went for winter as skiing is SO important to me, what would you choose?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Summer. For the sailing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@KenX, a really tough call, as I like both of them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My years have 4 seasons to choose from, not 2.
I vote both, but get rid of the bits where it is bleak, 5-6C, damp, dreary,... ie where it's clearly not summer any more but just pointlessly wasting time before properly being winter.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Summer.

Because the weather is nice enough to be outside much more often. I do like the winter ski season but probably for the same reason - I like to be outside as much as possible. Probably as a direct result of spending most of my time in a glass box office.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 19-08-15 9:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spring. Snowboarding, sailing, kayaking, biking ...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Summer. With a couple of trips to Alaska.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
May/June. Warm and sunny with plenty of snow still on the glaciers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If I lived a life of luxury in the mountains and didn't have to work it'd be winter without a doubt.

However I live a normal life in the flatlands of littleborough so in reality it'd be summer. I couldn't stand the permenant horror of people who have a fit when 1cm of snow hits the uk.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cad99uk wrote:
Spring. Snowboarding, sailing, kayaking, biking ...

Yep! Spring is the best of times! Still snows a lot, but you get a lot of light, and you get that GORGEOUS time when the peaks are still white but the melting snow makes the forests an incredibly vibrant green, and the rivers start rising just enough for the steeper ones to work, can still be really cold but also occasionally really warm... When there isn't powder 'cos it isn't snowing you either get corn, or the pistes get all slushy and chopped up so they're actually fun!

Best of times!

EDIT:

But actually, having proper, defined seasons (much more so than the UK - 35°C+ isn't uncommon in summer) is one of the things I love most about living in the Alps. I wouldn't want an endless winter - by the end of April I'm really looking forward to walking around in shorts and flip-flops, bbq-ing in the sun by the river, kayaking, river surfing etc.

Kayaking cool glacial meltwater in just board shorts and buoyancy aid on a really hot day followed by beers out in one of Innsbruck's city squares is such a pleasure.

But by mid-August snowy dreams start slipping back in my mind Very Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 19-08-15 12:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If it's a choice between the 2 then it's summer - but that's because I go skiing in the spring generally! Spring is the king of the seasons!!!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Summer. Sailing, lazing, walking, cycling, midnight sun in Norway. But I like them all.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Winter, but that's maybe because I live in a city.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmm probably summer. Could still get a skiing fix. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Having lived in perpetual summer TWICE in my life, I much prefer FOUR distinct seasons!

But if I can only have one of the two, it would have to be summer. On the other hand, I don't think there's anywhere outside the two polar regions that you can have perpetual winter anyway. So it's a clear indication of where the population had chosen.
snow conditions
Answering this I break it down into location between sea and mountains.

I'm in Serre from mid Dec to end April - so that does include a chunk of spring, which sees us in shorts, cycling and BBQs etc as well as skiing in the mornings.

When I'm not in Serre I'm back on the beach here in sunny windy Worthing, where apart from kite and windsurfing we have tremendous cycling on our door step with the South Downs and Sussex lanes up to the North Downs.

But then in summer I go back to Serre for the hiking and cycling and then probably back in Sept / Oct for more of the same.

The question I'm then asked by my mates, which do I prefer the sea or the mountains, and the mountains win every time.

Maybe if I had two to three foot of surf every day and consistent winds and warm sunny temps and skies I'd prefer the UK, but we don't, and as I sit here typing so the wind has failed to materialise today and has only picked up along with the rain that has started Sad

Last weekend was great weather wise here and we did say if only you could guarantee that on an almost daily basis, and that's the trouble.

So mountains for me, and there is the always the added bonus of the white stuff Cool
snow conditions
Summer only lasted a week and a half this year. At least winter lasts a little longer...
snow conditions
I said summer before - since it's been cold and p***ing down all evening, I might have to change my mind!
ski holidays
Spring. Best of all worlds.
latest report
Winter or spring. A clear crisp autumn is pretty nice (as opposed to a dark dank one). Problem with summer is that it would be fine if temps could be relied to stay at at a steady 20-22 C above that it just gets unpleasant [Ray Winstone voice] "Roastin'!!"
ski holidays
To answer the original question: winter - to avoid the sweating I've been doing for the past few weeks. Though, in practice, I'm not sure I'd be keen on shovelling snow 365 days a year wink
latest report
Of the two limited choices it would have to be summer (if the location has great summer glacier skiing on more than one local glacier ). But I would prefer autumn or spring.

If not then I could not choose either winter or summer and would have to go for autumn or even spring instead ( often good weather into autumn yet the vibrant colours of autumn make outdoors a real pleasure over summer, plus late autumn the skiing can start to kick in and you still have the glaciers ).
snow report
Winter as long as there are some sunny days.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy