Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I've lost my bottle :(

Poster: A snowHead
Frosty the Snowman, Horse Riding! you ride horses Shocked Shocked Shocked Does the RSPCA know wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

skiing is 50% "in the head"

And 50% on the a^$e!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque, we have been trying since November/December 05
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque, No I dont ride horses, not in either context to which you are suggesting wink , but the Mrs does and I have to feign interest. It is soooo common to see a nervous or timid rider totally cock up a jump or obstacle just because the horse has sensed the uncertainty of the rider.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sharon1953, not that long really then, this is admins site, and he has lots of other things to do that it can appear to take a long time for him to get things done. Email him again, and we'll point out your post to him when he gets back from skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, Frosty the Snowman, Thanks, been trying to get it sorted since November 05. I know so many people now, that are back in the saddle that had all but hung up their boots. Having to sell a beloved horse that has become part of your life is a lot more painful than selling a pair of skis!!! Though following depression can be the same!!

The fear factor for riders is multiplied because of the lack of control you have over the horse when on board, whereas you can always take your skis off! But as you say, leaning forwards down a mountain on 2 planks does not make much sense to the brain on the safety scale, so its natural to sit/lean back and that’s when the trouble starts, or we go stiff and panic and forget to relax, which also causes problems. To be considered here is also the element of accepting once limitations, and working within your own comfort zone/level of fitness; after all, it is a hobby for most of us.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sharon1953, Which do you consider the more obsessed: The Ski Bore or The Horsey Bore?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, who should we direct the mail to?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, that made me smile. Well the ski bore has a shorter operating time, so I guess they score lower. We could only afford to take up skiing once we had finished pouring money into the equine world, took 20 years to find a cure though!! Now we don’t have to get up at 6 am - 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year, in all weathers, shovel poo-poo, watch our hard earned money get eaten or pay enormous vets bills, for the privilege of riding/competing for 4 months of the year. I just wish skiing lasted longer, was cheaper & we had started 20 years ago, perhaps giving the horses a miss! (though it seemed good at the time)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sharon1953, we saw our horse on google earth yesterday. Incredible! Oh, and the muck heaps as well, talking of shovelling. rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sharon1953, I only ask because we have one of each in our family. Fortunatley we are both only about a 3/10 on the Borefort scale.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A lot of very good advice was given above. To it, let me add my strong suggestion that you buy a copy of, "In the Yikes! Zone: A Conversation With Fear" by Mermer Blakeslee:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0525946381/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-6973527-4573527?tag=amz07b-21#reader-link

If you need a bit of convincing about buying the book, and/or more discussion about getting "back in the saddle", check out these threads on Epic:

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=22228
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=9424&highlight=mermer
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?p=110205&highlight=mermer#post110205
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?p=61873&highlight=mermer#post61873
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=9635&highlight=mermer
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=8930&highlight=mermer
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=8787&highlight=mermer
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=9587&highlight=mermer

...there are many more very useful, relevant threads over on Epic, but these should give you a good start.

WRT advice, I can't really add much that hasn't already been said in either this thread or one of the threads I referenced except to reassure you that you will eventually work back up to your former level of confidence, but now, with a new, realistic sense of all the factors (including your own skill and experience level) that go into evaluating the risks in each particular skiing situation.

If you were my student, in addition to giving you psychological support and improving your overall skiing technique, I would give you a lesson in "survival skills" (e.g., kick turns, choice of line, graduate-level sideslipping, etc.) plus a blessing to use them freely whenever you are feeling fearful because of poor snow conditions, steep slopes, moguls, narrow passages through rocks, crowds, exposure (ie, no-fall zones with cliffs below), etc. Like some of the other folks in this thread, I would also caution you to be completely impervious to subtle (or not so subtle) peer / family pressure to get in skiing situations that make you uncomfortable.

The best of luck,

Tom / PM
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all of you, I will get the CD, it seems a bit different to the usual 'Pep' talk type stuff that you try to give yourself and the well meaning encouragment which is no good when you brain and your body have entirely given up communicating with each other! I will look at the book too.....we are so lucky that we have something that our entire family loves to do and I really don't want that to change.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mmm thought of another story - first time I went bungee jumping - manged to get within 3 feet of the crash mat due to pushing off the crane - came down the guy said well did you find that exciting.

My response was if you think that is exciting get on the back of my motorbike and we can go for a spin round london - he declined.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman, blimey, talk about big brother watching, next the DSS will be using google earth to find benefit fraudsters!
ski holidays
i'm an intermediate thats done his share of blacks, but the thought of gettin an injury and not bein able to work next week always sits in the back of my mind, sooo the way i look at it is if i wouldn't walk down it whats the point of tryin ta do it with a couple of planks of wood/fibreglass strapped to ya feet? your meant to be doin it for the enjoyment and relaxation that provides just get on and enjoy it don't push to hard
Blush
latest report
I've had two experiences that have very nearly killed me: one on (ie off) a horse and one surfing.
I got back in the water once I was healed but I have never really got back into riding. My kids do, as does my wife. I love horses and have them all around our house....but I just don't want to get back on.

Perhaps I'll send for your CD.....
ski holidays
Quote:

I love horses and have them all around our house
rungsp,
Do you hoover before picking up the muck, or pick up the muck first. The cost of the extra large doorways must have been considerable.
snow conditions
sharon1953, check out the memberlist (easy as he's at the top), then send him a PM(Private message) by clicking the button at the left of the name. I'm sure he'll reply when he gets back from his ski trip.
ski holidays
In the fields Frosty, in the fields!

OED defines "Around": So as to surround, encompass, or envelop; surrounding,
enveloping; about.
ski holidays
Lorraine I had a similar experience a few years ago - from the top to the bottom of a particularly steep black in full view of a chairlift. It badly damaged my confidence but I tried to remember that I was in the mountains because I loved it and also that I had nothing to prove to anybody. I had a series of private lessons, always making sure I met the instructor before booking to ensure they understood my predicament. Gradually my confidence returned and the lessons have helped me become a much better skiier.

I hope you regain your enjoyment of skiing and have a great time in Hinterlux.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing
latest report
I'm always amazed at the bravery of some women who admit they can be scared sh**less and yet still go skiing.
If it was that scarey to me often enough I don't think I would do it.
ski holidays
JT, Well from my own perspective there is an element of “I won’t let this beat me”, (when you see kids aged 4 flying past you, it inspires you to keep trying) but for me, skiing holidays are not just about the actual skiing, it’s all those other things that add to the experience that keeps me coming back for more. The camaraderie of all being there for the same purpose, the shear beauty & size of the mountains, the snow covered ground, the peace, silence, fresh air, mountain restaurants and an après/social scene that requires only casual clothing, all add to the constant pull to get the skiing right, so that you can return year after year. Only when I found an instructress that really understood what was going on inside my head, even before I did, and took the time & trouble to empathise with my concerns and fears, could I see there was life beyond the nursery slope!! If only more instructors did some basic sports psychology they would have customers queuing down the piste!!
ski holidays
JT wrote:
I'm always amazed at the bravery of some women who admit they can be scared sh**less and yet still go skiing.
If it was that scarey to me often enough I don't think I would do it.

That's a nice thing to say Smile I also wonder how many women are scared and don't admit it?

There was an interesting thread on Epic a couple of weeks back which meandered into the difference between "men-fear" and "women-fear". In particular read Ant's posts from post 84 on page 3 onwards.

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=28803&page=3
snow conditions
I'm sure that most of us who started skiing as adults have been scared sh**less from time to time.

Lorraine, MaggyK's point was a good one; you have nothing to rove to anyone. I assume from the fact that you have kids that you're not necessarily, errm, in the first flush; you're not a teeenager who cannot afford to admit to themself or anyone else that there are some things they'd rather not do. Ski only what you're comfortable skiing; your confidence will probably return, and if it doesn't entirely, so what? You'll enjoy yourself anyway.
ski holidays
Quote:

if i wouldn't walk down it whats the point of tryin ta do it with a couple of planks of wood/fibreglass strapped to ya feet?

I was surprised last year, walking in summer down our local black piste (not a difficult one, in comparison with tough resorts) to find it virtually impossible to walk down. Ended up on bottom (mine, not the slope's) and had to hike into the trees at the side, where the roots gave better foot hold. So I concluded that though I am not a great skier, I can ski down steeper slopes than I can walk down. Which was a good feeling!
ski holidays
Maybe its all relative anyway... we have regular girl in our group who is sometimes positively delerious when we get her down some 'adventure'

But then again I paired up with a local ski instructor last week and the only thing I could say....between breaths, is 'slow down, you cow"...! Laughing
But then you could forgive this girl most things...!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, last Summer we went to Serre Chevalier and took the mountain bikes. I wouldn't bike down the slopes I normally ski down, esp after removing several layers of skin and I admit I have now lost my bottle on the mountain bike.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy