Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning to service my own skis

Poster: A snowHead
spyderjon wrote:
Maireadoconnor wrote:
Just been to see spyderjon this afternoon. Well worth the drive and an overnight stay. Really interesting, confidence building, and good fun. Also Jon makes an excellent cup of tea.

And don't forget the Chocolate Mini Rolls Toofy Grin

Hey mate, as discussed, planning to come to see you probably within the next 2 weeks, if you aren't going anywhere?
Would have come sooner but....damn commitments Sad
Anyway, will text/chat to you... might even persuade Leonard to come with me! (He sends his regards, btw) snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hurtle, if you do decide to do Jon's course let me know and you can stay over at ours. We only live a few minutes drive away.

I haven't done it. The smell of hot wax makes me retch and like you, I can't sharpen a knife very well. Embarassed
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@maggi, thank you. But you've got a voucher for a stay at mine - long overdue at being cashed in!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hubby has gone ahead, spoken to Jon and paid for a voucher for my birthday.

Can anybody recommend some where not too expensive that has family rooms we can book a night at near by? So we can go up to the area for the weekend?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It depends on what you are looking for @NickyJ. if I'm looking for somewhere cheap, clean and comfy I normally settle on a Premier Inn. Booked far enough in advance you can get some very good prices. Breakfast is free for kids if there are paying adults. They also do a good kids menu. There are a few in the Nottingham area.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheap alternative to going to see Jon is to buy the tools from him plus the instructions on CD/DVD. I was a bit disappointed that the instructional videos are of a guy in America rather than of Jon himself, but it all seems clear enough. I've done three pairs of old skis and this weekend I'll do my wife's and my own "good" skis.

My main problems at the moment -
1. How do you know when the edges are sharp enough? the polishing stones don't really remove metal, so it's hard to see if they're actually achieving anything.
2. I seem to use an awful lot of wax. I'm sure 3/4s of what I put on I scrape straight off again, but I'm hoping that with practice I can reduce my wastage to semi-sensible levels.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Valkyrie wrote:
1. How do you know when the edges are sharp enough? the polishing stones don't really remove metal, so it's hard to see if they're actually achieving anything.
2. I seem to use an awful lot of wax. I'm sure 3/4s of what I put on I scrape straight off again, but I'm hoping that with practice I can reduce my wastage to semi-sensible levels.

1. You file/polish until you've just raised a hanging burr which will hang down from the side edge & over the base edge. This can be felt by dragging the fleshy parts of your fingers across the junction of the base edge & side edge. As the base of the ski should be facing away from you this means pulling your hands towards you - as in Mairead's pics below.
2. On a pair of 175cm'ish/85mm underfoot'ish skis you'll should be using about 13-15g of wax.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 21-08-15 22:21; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, thanks for speaking to hubby earlier on the phone - you definitely convinced him Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickyJ wrote:
@spyderjon, thanks for speaking to hubby earlier on the phone - you definitely convinced him Happy

I didn't realise that it was you he was referring to Cool

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 21-08-15 22:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
It's well worth the visit to see Jon, @NickyJ - hard to imagine anyone doing it better.

Yup. Glad you are going to see him NickyJ, the huge faith in Spyderjon is well deserved.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wasn't kidding about the tea: https://www.flickr.com/photos/matwall/albums/72157655095175854
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Maireadoconnor, I like the photos, thanks. I am looking forward to it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is never too early to get your children involved. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Oscar was racing this weekend so I had two sets of skis to edge and wax. having got some soft wax from @spyderjon for hot scrapping Oscar decided he wanted to help.

It must have worked as he had a couple of good runs and finished third in the U10 Giant Slalom at the Scottish Dryslope Alpine Championships.

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just to feedback - had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon with Spyderjon - learned absolutely loads and spent some money Embarassed not only on some tools, but I now also have Knee safe bindings fitted to my ski in a bid to keep what's left of my reconstructed ACL intact.

Thanks again for the advice.
latest report
An interesting thread. I do a fair amount of servicing ski for friends and family etc. Anyone have ideas on where to get a cheap vice? I have seen some Vola ones mentioned here for around £90, but wanted to see if anything ne had any suggestions?
snow conditions
Another +1 for Jon!

Went to see him before embarking on my ski season in Tignes a couple of years back and it was a invaluable!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy