Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

zermatt???

Poster: A snowHead
i am thinking of attending the basi 2 course with the family in november and i need the following type of accommodation ideally so that the missus can have a holiday rather than looking after one for two weeks..... if anyone knows anything please let me know....

family rooms, ideally 2 bedroom appt, catered with the ability to eat in the room as we have a two year old so cant go out to dinner, also needs to be dog friendly as we always take the hound..... have had no problem finding family rooms that are dog friendly buy the catered bit seems to be a bit tricky.... am happy to look at hotels, chalets etc

dates are last two weeks of novemebr which would hopefully help as i cant imagine its that busy at that time of the year....

thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you have a budget in mind? There are a number of apparthotels in Zermatt that might fit the bill, but it depends what you mean by 'catered' many will do breakfast but not dinner for example. As for dogs, I don't know about that but could suggest a number of places to try, depending on budget.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@scotsgirl, no specific budget but as its early i think that we can push the boat out a little..... we need somewhere ideally that we can eat in our rooms as we cant leave our 2 year old in bed asleep on her own whilst we eat...... really we would like a two bed room in a hotel which will allow us to take the food upstairs that they cook in house..... quite a tight brief but i cant see us getting catered chalet that will let us have a dog etc...... any help appreciated
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not sure about hotels that let you take food upstairs that they cook, when ours were young we just ate together, but earlier, but here are a few suggestions....Welcome B&B, they have apartments and family rooms, Hotel Perren (family rooms plus an apartment) suitenhotel Zurbriggen, the Firefly, if none of those fit the bill, there might be some others I could suggest.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
as i am on the course i won't be getting back till 7pm each night so unfortunately earlier isn't an option but i will have a look at those.... thanks v much wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Or this might work
http://www.casavanessa.ch/casa_vanessa_i_31.html
I think your request for dinner cooked for you then taken up to your room is slightly trickier, but there may be ways round that ( there are great supermarkets, carry out food etc)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ajc2260626, isn't that just a hotel that does room service that you want? As in, something that most hotels of a certain standard will offer?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gämsbock, good point! I guess that is another way to describe the brief! Although, I would think two weeks of room service might get a bit much...I rather thought the request was for more of an apartment with catering, but I might have misunderstood .
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gämsbock, sort of but we are more than happy to go down and get it Very Happy

@scotsgirl, yes ideally an apartment with catering, the missus will x6 months pregnant so I want to try and make it easy as she will be looking after a 2 year old and a dog whilst I am on the course

So far have found an apart hotel which does breakfast.......
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ajc2260626, any of the places I mentioned are or have apartments, and they will all do breakfast - the slightly unusual part of your request is an apartment that will do cooked evening meals as well. It may exist but I have not come across it in Zermatt, although we have stayed in hotels and apartments that do breakfast. Or, as suggested above, you go for a family room in a hotel and use room service. Hope you find something that suits.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
quick update - possible spanner in the works.... am i righting thinking that you cant drive all the way to zermatt as i will have a lot of kit with me, as i will be travelling with a two year old, pregnant wife and a dog.... so i need somewhere where i can park outside the hotel to dump the gear and then park in a car park etc......
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ajc2260626, There is a course in Val d'Isere the following week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rjs, yep i saw that but i fancied somewhere new as i have skied val a lot..... cheers though wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ajc2260626, that is correct. You have to park at Täsch. Put luggage on a trolley that rolls onto the train. The shuttle takes 12 mins. Then load your luggage onto an electric taxi or hotel car in Zermatt. I usually tell people it is a lot easier than they imagine. But your logistics sound trickier than most.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ajc2260626, You are right as you can only drive up to Tasch where there is large carparks then catch the train up to Zermatt, in Zematt you can easily get a taxi to your accomodation or altenatively book a hotel/apartment close to the station.
latest report
@larry1950, cheers mate, not going to work I'm afraid with all the stuff we will have.... will have to go back they are older.....
snow report
Obviously you need to do what suits the family, but honestly the train from Tasch is a doddle. You park right at the station, there are large trollies which wheel straight on to the train, and the trip is 10 minutes. The trains run every 10 minutes or so. You roll the trollies straight off and over to the taxis or electric cars from the hotels/aparthotels (many but not all have their own transport) and they take you to your accommodation. We have done it with three children since the youngest was three months old (and with two before that) with all the usual clobber, twin buggies etc.
Completely get it however if that's still too much, but just don't want you to think it's a total nightmare.
snow report
@scotsgirl, I agree the journey from Tasch to Zermatt is easy but do you know if @ajc2260626, could hire a taxi from Tasch which could take him direct to his accomodation in Zermatt? The first time we went to Zermatt was with a tour operator and we were so late they said we might have to get a taxi, fortunately we just made the last train so it wasn't necessary.
snow conditions
You can't get a taxi from Tasch into Zermatt itself. The road ends (I think it has a barrier, but anyway the Swiss wouldn't break the rules) just outside Zermatt. Some accomodation isn't that far a walk from this but is well out of town.
The taxis in town are the electric ones that just run through town itself, not out of town.

I personally think the car free status is one of Zermatt's charms, Apparently there is pressure to allow cars into town from the top-end visitors who resent not being driven to their door and having to share the train with the common people. But the main reason it's not down is that the road simply isn't suitable for extensive traffic, too narrow and avalanche prone. It would need major work even to bring cars to the edge of Zermatt.
When MrsJ and I were poor students climbing one summer the station cafe was one of the cheapest places to eat. It was great fun people watching everyone coming off the train, from Interrailing backpackers to millionaires!!
latest report
Quote:

I personally think the car free status is one of Zermatt's charms

I can imagine that it is, but if I were the OP's wife, having to deal with a 2 year old whilst quite heavily pregnant, I'd prefer somewhere where I can park my own car very, very, nearby. Many kids of about that age fall asleep most readily in a car - park somewhere with a nice view and read your book till they wake up. Or take the little one to a swimming pool, perhaps.

On the other hand I wouldn't want to eat hotel dinners in my room for a couple of weeks. I'd prefer to be able to drive to a supermarket (a great way of entertaining a 2 year old, who can "help" with the shopping) and cook something simple and delicious at half the price. Or call into a "traiteur" and pick up some ready cooked dishes which can be popped in the oven. In Val d'Isere you could probably find someone who would come and cook for you occasionally, if you were feeling extravagant. My son did something similar when he told the TO where to put their job and went freelance. For a few weeks he cooked lunch each day for a French couple who kept a shop but were wedded to having a good lunch despite having no time to cook. It kept body and soul together till work picked up in February.

Frankly, two weeks in a ski resort in November with a 2 year old, whilst pregnant, is not going to be the holiday of a lifetime, no matter how it's arranged. wink If I had lots of good friends and family around me at home, I'd probably prefer to stay home and tot up the Brownie points for future reference. And it would be more fun on a BASI course if you could go out for a drink with your colleagues in the evenings.
latest report
Thanks everyone, I tried the course on my own last year.... Only lasted a week lol so this time we are all going...... Looks like it's back to Val!
ski holidays
Ok FINAL pitch for Zermatt, I promise. I have been to Zermat many many times, and I have also spent a holiday in Val whilst heavily pregnant and not skiing and I honestly wouldn't want to do that again. Val is an amazing place with limitless possibilities....if you are skiing. What I hadn't grasped was just how little there would be to do if you weren't. I did spend quite a bit of time at the foot of the slopes people watching and had thought I might be able to meet up with my husband for lunch now and again but that really was not feasible. So I was pretty much stuck at base camp, and it got a bit old after a while, to be honest.
I have to agree that two weeks in any resort, not skiing and looking after a two year old and dog may not be the easiest, but it is great you all want to be together. In Zermatt if your schedule permits, it is pretty easy for the family to use the lift system to come and meet you for lunch, lots of good winter walking, not all hard and possible even if pregnant, there is a museum, cinema and a number of swimming pools which allow people to use them even if not resident. Actually even the little train ride between Zermatt and Tasch is great fun for a two year old, and you can do it as often as you like! There is a kindergarten in Zermatt which has a large soft play area which your wife could take the two year old to for and hour or so if she needed a break. Ok enough hassle! Hope it all works out for you wherever you end up!
ski holidays
Ok we are off to zermatt, packing light and will try and find a collapsible trolley so hope fully no need for multiple trips to the car.... Next question does anyone know of a traiteur type operation in zermatt as we are going to have to go self catering but I don't want the missus (or me) having to cook every night Happy
ski holidays
There are two good size supermarkets in Zermatt, as well as some smaller 'corner shops'. They have everything you would expect, including ready meals and so on, if that is what you have in mind. There are numerous delicatessens as well, if that helps. If you are looking for some more full on catering, then you could email these people

http://cheznouszermatt.com/?page_id=1097
She is a private chef, I can't say I have used them personally, but she is a friend of a friend, and I'm sure could either do what you want, or give you further information.
snow report
@larry1950, The thread has moved on somewhat but in answer to your question: the internal combustion engine taxis from Täsch take you to the north end of Zermatt where the electric taxis come. So you can be handed over from one to the other. Never really sure why people do it though. As others have said the shuttle is a doddle.

Even more off topic the walk from Täsch to Zermatt is quite nice. We often simply do that. However that I wouldn't recommend with luggage, pregnant wife and children.
snow report
@ajc2260626, you can take 2 year olds to restaurants. They usually have high chairs and everything, especially ones in hotels. You don't have to stay in every night.
latest report
haha yep but by the time i get back from the course my two year old will be fast asleep.....

one other q.... at the mo i have booked into the hotel daniella but i can move as at the mo just reserved..... i am assuming that the training will be on the glacier.... if thats the case i am guessing that theres only one way up lift wise.... if thats true which is the first lift up from resort so that i can see how far away from that i am.....

cheers
latest report
The Daniela is very central, across the river from the Main Street and Church, but with a number of restaurants, a small supermarket, ATM and bakery within about two minutes walk. I would think its a very good location for your wife, as she will be very close to anything she might want during the day. For you, you walk down the steps by the bridge to the river (2 minutes ) to the bus stop and get the bus to the Klein Matterhorn lifts, approx 5/10 mins on the bus, depending how busy it is. So, not right next to the lifts for you, but really not far (you could walk it if feeling energetic) but on the other hand a property right next to the lifts for you puts your wife at the southern end of the village with no shops etc without getting the bus back or a 15 minute walk or so for her.
If it were me, if they will take your dog etc, I would stick with the Daniella, or indeed any one close by. The Welcome that I mentioned previously is very close, or the Bellerive or the Eden.
Hope that helps.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ajc2260626, you should be lucky if you are there for the last two weeks of November. In answer to your question the lift you will get will be from the Matterhorn Paradise station at the south end of town (scotsgirl has already explained the logistics of getting there - I always walk but my twenty something children whinge about this). From mid November the bubble lift will be open again). It is open at present but closes in the "shoulder" period and the ancient cable car operates instead.

The bubble lift takes you all the way up to Trockener Steg. From there your course could be at one of two places:

Up on the glacier. To get there you need to take the cable car from Trockener Steg up to Klein Matterhorn.

On the piste down from Furggsattel. To get there you ski 100 metres down from Trockener Steg to the chairlift. That piste is not open at present. But unless snow is absolutely disastrous it should be open for the last two weeks of November. It actually will be the only extra place open over and above the summer skiing area on the glacier. The rest of the pistes open from end November.

Personally I would prefer the Furggsattel piste. It is much longer and I think more interesting. Having said that I was up on the glacier this morning and it was perfect snow and blue blue skies.
latest report
Oops forgot to mention - first lift will be 8.30.
ski holidays
Anyone going to val-desiere alone to do BASI2 course that want to team up? 30/11/2015 - 11/12/2015
Im going to drive and plan to stay in a self catered apartment.

Jon
ski holidays
hey jon

i did this last year although just a week.... you should try fish and chips good place to stay and reasonable
ski holidays
quick q - when you get to tasch are there trolleys that you can load your bags on to, a bit like at the airport?
snow report
@ajc2260626, Yes, did you know that you can use a 2p coin for the trolleys, someone posted that on this forum some time ago and I have made good use of it.
ski holidays
yes there are, and they wheel straight onto the train and off again at the other end. There are taxis or electric vans from some though not all of the hotels waiting in the main square outside the station. Alternatively you can offload your luggage and walk to your accommodation of you prefer.
latest report
If your accommodation is reasonably close to the station in Zermatt (and there's no snow on the ground) you can wheel the trolley to your accommodation and then return it to the station.

@larry1950, can you use a 2p coin for the trolley in Zermatt? I vaguely remember it cost 5 CHFs to release the trolley from the rack, and then you got 2 CHFs back when you returned the trolley. A 5 chuff coin is way bigger than a 2p coin.
snow conditions
thanks guys, we are in the centre so will jump a cab i reckon....
ski holidays
If you went with the Daniela in the end, then they have their own car that will collect you. Often it's waiting at the station anyway, just look for the van with the Julen name on it (there's a picture on their website under the contact and arrival section). To be sure, I would either email or call them once you are on the train from Tasch and they will come down for you. Failing all that, there is a large board in the train station from which you can call the hotel for free and they will come. Best to arrange ahead though so your family don't have to hang around. At all odds, it should be a courtesy transfer (i.e. free!)
ski holidays
That is indeed where we are staying so I will organise that, thanks for the heads up.....Snowheads once again comes up trumps!
latest report
@rob@rar, It's a while since I used one at Zermatt station but it was still 2chf at the airport In January, maybe someone who has used them more recently can confirm as it was very useful.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy