Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telegraph ski & snowboard show - worth going?

Poster: A snowHead
I needed a bag and socks are always welcome , worth it for those two items alone , magazines are a bonus now Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bless them: TSSB have offered me a complimentary ticket.

@hawkwind, I had the same problem last year. They offered it to new customers. I complained and they agreed to change my subscription but I didn't go ahead in the end.

@kioksor, I am beginning to wonder. I get an email from them each week and they are starting to put stories out before the magazine. Also the content is changing. TSSB is very commercial and Fall Line has an obsession with climbing up hills!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Andorra Resorts have a draw for tickets to the London show: http://www.andorraresorts.com/competition/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For what it's worth - nice guys at Fall Line - run into them often in Innsbruck.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fine print for Andorra Resort draw says "valid any day except Saturday. "
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow wrote:
kioksor wrote:
Is either magazine worth it? Don't telegraph publish online?

Fall Line is

True that
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Telegraph is basically just PR blurb recycled like Ski and Bored(sic). I think the days of big shows for this sort of thing are past. Killed by the internet. Shame, because I was violently forced to join SH at a NEC show a few years back and that was defo good although the Tea Club Rep couldn't get me off her shoe sole quick enough when she discovered I was already a paid up member.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's that time of year again .. Decisions .. Decisions on whether to go or not go to the Ski Show North.

Today is the day ... Did anybody go yesterday? Or any morning visitors for Saturday?

Was it worth it ? Any freebies ? Or just the normal collection of old tat, SCGB reps and chalet owners?

Is there any improvement on previous years?

rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As "group-con" aren't selling off any 1/2 price tickets, myself and Mrs K are not going this year.

and as it will problaby be the last nice weekend of the year..............I am not that upset by it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm at a loose end this afternoon so might pop down.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Should be going tomorrow ( Sunday ).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went yesterday with the kids. Good couple of hours out and managed to pickup a few good deals for the kids. (50% off a helmet and a hat from Zaini)

Didn't seem to be as busy and there were less retailers there than last year, but EB seemed to be doing a good trade in boot fitting.

Kids enjoyed it and I've got a few ideas for next years holiday so worth going.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If anyone gets a sniff of any freebies for next weekend let me know please!!! I'm back in the UK for the weekend and the show always whets my appetite for the season ahead, even if the show isn't quite what it was in the past.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

but EB seemed to be doing a good trade in boot selling.

FIFY
Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tickets.... pfffft. I'm gonna Base jump from 1 ov them shiny glass and stool buildings. Security won;t notice cos they'll be hiolding back the pressing crowd from that blokes stall wot sells them gardenning gloves innit.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm gonna Base jump from 1 ov them shiny glass and stool buildings

Hasn't the show has become crappy enough without you tracking it all through the venue... Wipe yer boots when you land.
snow report
FYI Groupon have an 2-4-1 offer up at the mo
ski holidays
Just heading back from the Finnish Ski Expo in Helsinki.

Was there representing Kiroro Resort, Hokkaido as part of a larger Japanese team promoting winter holidays in Japan.

There were Swedish and Georgian stands at the show and whilst there is a plethora of information online I learned far more about skiing in both countries by speaking with 'actual human beings' wink

With the number of 'where shall I go next / tell me about x resort' threads on Snowheads the opportunity to meet and speak with representatives from around the skiing world more than justifies the entrance fee IMHO.

I'll be representing Kiroro at the London show and will be happy to share any and all the information I have about skiing on Hokkaido (I've skied 20 resorts and backcountry areas on the island).

And if you find Hokkaido isn't for you there'll be people from Nagano, Niigata and Tohoku prefectures there too.

And then there are the equipment guys & gals too.
latest report
Well went to the ski show north on the Sunday, was nice to see some familiar faces, other than that and the free CFe passes it is such a let down.

Whoever is behind attracting retailers, resorts etc needs shooting they have not got a clue. Less stands than last year, way too much open spaces showing only the incompetence of the organisers at attracting business's to the show.
If they do not get a grip it will not last much longer which is a shame I have a lot of fond memories of the ski show back in the 80's and 90's hard work yes as in the 90's I was working on the show but got to meet some of the biggest names of the times, and catch up with friends who due to work some years the show was the only chance we got to catch up, not to mention the C&A girls Toofy Grin The number of retailers tour ops resorts etc etc was crazy not to mention a main slope where we did lessons and displays. Yes I know times change but there is still a place for face to face but I gather the cost of the stall/floor space is a part of the reason. Maybe rather than fill space with useless stuff at the back reduce the price and attract more stands thus giving more people a reason to buy tickets.\more punters more incentive for company's to pay for a stand more stands more punters shame this is beyond the Telegraph's intelligence to work out.

Will I go next year ? Yes but only if CFe are giving free passes away again so if that stops I will not go.
snow report
Quote:

there is still a place for face to face

There is still a place for face to face but even when that happens what we're all thinking is "this sounds good, I'd better check online to see what everyone else thinks / if there's anything better / if this is really last years model / if I can get it cheaper / etc."

I suspect it's a downwards spiral for these kind of shows unless they can come up with a really compelling reason to visit.
snow report
Went to the show yesterday and had a very good day.
I did get 2 free tickets from SCGB (many thanks to them Laughing ) which obviously made a big difference.
Very nice to meet @Mike Pow, on the Japan stand and thanks for the fan Laughing met some other snowHead Gained 2 free hours skiing at Hemel Very Happy and purchased what I think/hope with be a lovely Christmas holiday at a good price.
We got some good ideas for a January trip but will wait for a late deal with them. The food was better but agree they need more areas to sit down, the bar and slope area was good. I didn't think there was as much gear as there normally was for sale. We discovered we could get a direct train from home to Clapham Junction and when we left we got the bus to Oxford Street and had a look at the Christmas light's Smile
latest report
Great to meet you too
ski holidays
Depended what you were going for, but nothing special for sure.

The inside section is essentially full of Ski resorts trying to sell to you, and the amount of gear was pretty poor in all honesty. If you wanted to buy actual 2016 ski gear, you really only had 2 stands to choose form - Ellis (which was very good in all fairness) and one other that had mostly Oakley.

The rain yesterday didn't help, I'd give it 3/5. I blagged a pass to get in, but I'd have been a bit miffed if I'd spend £27 to get in... and as good as the food stalls looked, REALLY expensive.
ski holidays
Quite a lot of the companies were giving away free tickets in "competitions".
So we're going today gratis.
Will report back.
snow report
Went today as a family and had a good time. Not cheap, but what is? The free thermals from Uniqlo pretty much covered the tickets. We did the Telegraph/Waitrose wine tasting which was excellent. The food was pricey, but compared to Earls Court was good value because it was delicious. There were fewer retailers, but still a good range. There was also fewer people but there was still a good buzz about the place. Battersea Park is a bit awkward to get too - which is my only criticism.
snow report
Yes, it was worth it. but only coz we got in for free. Wouldn't have paid.
Battersea Park is a bit out of the way, but not so bad if walking form either of the overground stations.
Nice to meet up with our friends on the SkiBug stand.
Lots of friendly stands. Lots of free drinkies and nibbles.
Outside bit much better coz not raining - pizza people said outside area was a "ghost town" yesterday.
Got my free thermal.
will go back next year if can find free ticket again.
snow conditions
We went on Saturday:

Good points:

Free passes at hemel
Free thermal
Food was quite nice
A billion stickers claimed by daughter (now plastered all over her wardrobe to go with last years) and other kid friendly freebies
Mount battersea demo (when under cover as it was raining)

Bad points

Rain
Lack of seating
Lack of proper directions from battersea park station (que enter park, err, which way now, no idea, there seems to be another event on (fireworks), that's not the one, oh there's the smallest sign ever for events area, lets follow that, get very near the show and finally see some stewards pointing you in the right direction)
Not enough people selling kids stuff
No recycling bins to be able to dump all the stuff you get given after you've filtered what you actually need from the stands
Expensive plastic bags everywhere
Only 8 dogs on show at battersea dogs home
snow conditions
Good points:

A pint of Paulaner
The variety of food on offer
I saw someone I hadn't seen for years

Average points:
the stands in the main tent were easy to get around and talk to people, but that's maybe because the place was pretty empty

Bad points:
I got wet going in and walking back to Battersea Park Station but a copy of In The Snow serves as a decent rain cover
I got wet going from main tent to beer shack
I got wet getting my food and then couldn't find anywhere dry to actually eat it
The so-called 'big' air show. I have a small terrier that does better tricks and achieves greater height and doesn't need sponsorship
The 'comedy' tent. Oh dear, trying to tell jokes to 4 or 5 people must be tough.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SO glad I decided against despite the free entry after 5!
snow report
I suggest Pruman also went Saturday.
There was no rain on Sunday. No one got wet. And there were lots of people on the Comedy Tent audience.
So, Sunday was fun. I bet soaking Saturday was rather depressing.
I agree about the lack of cover outside, and the seeming lack of seating inside (actually we were ok for seats, but they were often disguised as some company's domain - we just sat down where we felt like, and were often offered free booze and nibbles for our precocity).
It was certainly a lot less hectic than the old Earls Court days on Sunday - it must have been real dead on previous rainy days.
ski holidays
Wonder if they'll dare to publish paying visitor numbers. Interesting that even those on freebies seem to view it largely as break even.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy