Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. Considering next half-term in Wengen. We are a blue and red cruisers as a family so don't need info regarding off-piste or steeps but I have had a bit of conflicting advice about how quick and easy it is to link the areas via lifts and trains. Both views, "no problem" and "can take ages" are from people who "know". One of the possibilities is staying with Clubmed but, again, short walk or a pain? It doesn't look too far on google but I've been caught out before. So, I would be grateful for any advice. Many thanks in anticipation.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you're pretty close to the Mannlichen cable car, so if you're only skiing Wengen/Grindelwald I don't see why you'd need to worry about trains. Unless you want a day trip to Murren.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you go with ClubMed then if there is a long walk they are likely to put on mini-buses. This is certainly what they did in Cervinia.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Club Med is at one end of the High Street the Railway Station is at the other end of the High Street and the Cablecar is roughly halfway between the two, it's less than 10 mins in ski boots to walk from one end of the street to the other even for an unfit person like me, however the very end of the street just before Club Med is steeper than the rest of the street (which is flat) and can get icy under certain conditions, there are handrails to hold on to though.

You may find that club med has a deal with central sport to allow you to leave your skis and boots there (or if you hire kit you can do so as part of the deal) the cablecar station is next door to central sport, who I would happily reccomend

There are busy times at the cablecar and station, in particular between 9 and 10 am when the ski school classes are all trying to get up the mountain.

The Cablecar takes about 5 mins to go up and when its busy they run continuously, when it's quiet they run every 15 mins but that will be rare in Feb

The train takes 41 mins to go from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg, most people only need to use this once or at most twice during the day (if you have to meet up with kids at lunchtime in Wengen) this is what you have to put up with to get the advantage of long cruising red and blue runs though.

You might be interested in the DHO club who do daily guided trips around the mountains, they have a clubroom in what was once the Eiger hotel, right by the railway station, on Sundays the guided trip takes you on a gentle cruise round the immediate area http://www.downhillonly.com/site/dhowengen.shtml

If you want any particular info on the area feel free to ask I've been going to Wengen since I was born Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D G Orf wrote:
If you want any particular info on the area feel free to ask I've been going to Wengen since I was born Happy

I believe you've said that your parents were Wengen regulars, so it's possible that you went to Wengen even before you were born Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@skitrack, As Wengen is more or less vehicle free, I doubt that's likely Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Club Med have a big trailer they put behind a vehicle to pick up luggage from the station on changeover days but thats about it for transport, it's really not far from the club med hotel to more or less anywhere in Wengen itself and the village is generally easy to get around they tend to leave snow on the road just coating it with chippings but once it starts turning to ice they come along, and remove the ice sweeping up the chippings to re use later
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, Good point, I'd forgotten that Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many thanks for your help so far. Would I be right in assuming that both the cable car and the train could be a pain at ski school time in the morning? Does the train take a long time wherever it goes? Is this just part of the "atmosphere" of the area? Is there enough skiing to occupy your week without venturing to First or Murren? As you can see I don't really have a handle on this yet.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kennethm, Ker-ching! Take plenty of Swissies is my advice!! CH-land is off my radar for the foreseeable....... Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The all-inclusive Clubmed just about makes the place possible!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kennethm, .......so long as you don't eat on the mountain, do any off-site apres or buy a lift pass? wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We stayed in the Chalet Rosa located in Lauterbrunnen, run by Ski Miquel over New Year 2014 which was ideally located for both Murren and Wengen. Great chalet with heated ski lockers at Lauterbrunnen train station so easy walking back to chalet. IMHO the trains just added to the magic of the place. Never had a problem getting on one, they run frequently and are as reliable as a swiss watch. New Year's Eve in Wengen was great but so was sledging on the Murren side with the children. Both areas are quite different from each other and Lauterbrunnen was ideal for trying both. There were 28 of us and we're all agreed it was the best group holiday we've had in the last 10 years that we've been going. We'll be going back again without a doubt.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kennethm, usual practice is to drop kids with ski school and make a mad dash for train or cablecar, if you go later or earlier it's not a problem, I usually try to get up on an earlier train or cablecar, then take an early lunch somewhere, that way I get up to an hour of almost empty slopes in the morning and another hour of quiet slopes at lunch time, then I frequently come back to wengen a little earlier than most in the afternoon and avoid the crowds in the narrow home run below Allmend Station
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Markymark29, Yes, quite but the lift pass is included as is full board. Yet to suss out the lunch arrangements so don't know if it involves coming back for lunch or if it can be had in a nominated hut. If I have a big breakfast I will survive until returning in late afternoon for cake. Many thanks to you all for your advice. I'm taking it all in.
ski holidays
Went to wengen for the first time last easter. Didn't feel rip-off prices (for Switzerland). Got speaking to a couple in geneva on the way home who went to the 3V, it turned out Wengen was cheaper for everything but wine.
The train is slow, but i think it suits the pace of the resort.
Never went to Murren, but First wasn't too time consuming to reach (mighta got lucky with the bus connection) and the skiing there was really nice.
snow conditions
The train from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg takes 26 minutes (not 41 minutes as referred to above). The train from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg takes 43 minutes.

From observation, it would seem that the Club Med package includes two or three lunches on the mountain, to be taken at the Berghaus self service restaurant at Mannlichen or the Eigernordwand self service restaurant at Kleine Scheidegg. Otherwise, Club Med guests have to return to the hotel at lunch time to benefit from the full board.
latest report
Yup my mistake I stuck in the Lauterbrunnen to Kl Scheidegg train time, no idea why I really should know better Embarassed
snow report
I saw 2 ladies in full length burkas taking a selfie on Wengen station last week. That made me smile.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy