Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
All,

Looking for a bit of advice on new boots.

I bought the following boots in 2006 ( http://www.skis.com/Nordica-SpeedMachine-10-Ski-Boots/247305P,default,pd.html ) They've been used for 7/ 10 days a year since.

At what point should i be considering a new pair? These fit great, and haven't noticeably dropped in performance. Other than the buckles, heel and toe pieces having some wear and tear.

1.- How long should i expect these to last?

2.- If I was to start a little internet shopping for new ones, what other brands are a similar fit?

3.- I'm aware if I do pick up a great deal online, a visit to a good boot fitters is still high on my agenda.

4.- Is it obvious I'm looking forward to getting away to some snow... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well liners. can be totally fubared at 100 days but you'd know because the boots would be getting sloppy, you van always replace liners.

Shells should last at least 150 days so if the boots are still a good fit don't worry.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stupid question; would new liner need to be the same make?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BlueBird13, I find liners last around 120 days before they collapse or smell too bad.

Shells last two sets of liners before I get bored with the colour.

Liners: no. After market ones are usually better.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, Thats good news. You wouldnt be able to recommend any after market liners?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@BlueBird13, See a boot fitter for them - CEM does some incredible zipfit ones I am told but seriously get a boot fitter to do them
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BlueBird13, i have had foamed Conformable/Sidas ones twice (3 times? Maybe). Zipfit are well reviewed as are Intuition.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BlueBird13, Silly as it sounds .... try Ebay.

Currently a brand new pair of the more recent model Speedmachine X100 is on offer as a buy-it-now for £85.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/vonderpalette-shop/Ski-Boots-/_i.html?_sacat=21239&_sid=18008235&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

You can also find various sizes of Nordica liners for under £50.

Sports Direct are also selling off some of the Nordica NRGY Pro range at £150-ish.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the replies. I'll definitely look into the liners.

There is a fair bit of wear on the toe and heel pieces, is there a rule of thumb on when these are too worn out?

After a little internet shopping, its interesting to see lots of the new boots with a rubber looking material at the toe and heel. Is this the way forward, or just the trend?

I guess the last question I have is regarding flex- my current boots are labelled as 100 flex, since I bought these almost 10 years ago ( Shocked Shocked ) These were probably perfect for my skiing. Since then, I've improved considerably. I would describe as aggressive, hard charging- basically trying to be fastest to the bottom... Toofy Grin
- Would I benefit from a higher flex number such as the Nordica Patron for example?

https://www.freezeproshop.com/nordica-patron-pro-ski-boots/path%5Bmenu%5D:ski-mens-boots/path%5Boffset%5D:23

Cheers
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Usually in the beginning of the season or the first day of a ski holiday you can go to any ski shop to check the bindings. They will take your boot and if the boot/bindings interface is compromised because boots are too worn they will tell you. I remember a friend was refused by the shop to rent skis because her boots were too battered, she had to rent boots as well. Avoid walking in your boots for heel and toe pieces to last longer. With some boots it's possible to replace these parts but with others it's game over. And in any case because boots changed quite a bit in the last 10 years, even the newer version of the same model may not be an exact replacement and boot flex is only ever directly comparable if it's for the same boot. So your 100 might be just as stiff as some new model's 120. After that many years you will probably be better off not buying online but going straight to see a fitter.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BlueBird13, take your boots to a reputable boot fiter. It is a technical piece - not all feet are the same, so a good fit is important. Even you find a good model, chosing the right size is not obvious. When I visited boot fiter in Tignes, I got smaller boots than I used to wear. Do not make a mistake of buying boots with your 'intutition' or by the looks snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

boots changed quite a bit in the last 10 years

really??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

boots changed quite a bit in the last 10 years

really??

It did - same like cars from 80's or 90's still use 4 wheels (mostly), ski boots also look similar. However materials used, etc changed a lot, at least according to this research www.mdpi.com/2075-4663/1/4/78/pdf
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mooney058, thank you, a most interesting paper.

But, nothing in it suggests any major changes in recent boot design, nor materials.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BlueBird13, Best of luck!!!!!!!!........... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
So basically what you're all saying is stopping looking at the big pimping coloured sales boots and go to the shop... No fun Toofy Grin
snow report
@BlueBird13, Pretty much - I went out to buy new boots recently and they didnt have any for me Sad so be prepared there may not be anything from last season that fits - I can confirm this is very iritating
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy