Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski buying advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just started skiing again after 20 year break!

First time out I hated the rental carving skis I had. One of the skis seemed to have a mind of it's own and I seriously was longing for my old Volkl skis.

A trip to the ski shop later for boots and a custom footbed to adjust for my left foot which I bust up on a motorbike and I was fitted out with a pair of Salomon 120 pro's. Next time out was a big improvement with my skiing only let down by my out of condition legs.
Back to the ski shop again and I purchased a set of 177 supershape titans (seemed very short to me) for the bargain price of £300 in the end of season sale.
Put them on and thought what have I bought these things are fast !! 1 hour later I found out why everyone raves about the new style skis as I could feel the g's thru long carved turns. No matter how hard you push these skis they just dig in.

My concern is that while I love the Titans on wide open spaces I was struggling with them in narrower rutted sections( I realise that some of this is my technique and out of condition leg muscles. I plan to take some lessons this year.)Can anyone recommend a more forgiving ski that still has good grip but will deal with short quick turns thru narrow bumpy sections yet still be reasonably stable at speed ? Not too worried about off piste as I will ski mainly in the cairngorms. Would like to pick up a pair in a pre-season sale.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easy good ski? Scott "The Ski". But I never bought it, as when it snows, I prefer something wider. No need to buy in my view - at least in the resort I like most, they do not have problems me swithching the skis. Of course it has to be said that it is easier off-season or outside main weeks as the choice of what is available is better, but even during the busy week last February, I tried 3 different pairs (they rented out my pre-booked The Ski unfortunately on which I skied in the same resort earlier in January)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What size are you? 177 is the longest size for Titans and it could be you'd be better off on a shorter length, maybe the 170cm. You could probably sell the 177s and buy the 170s on eBay without it costing you much at all. It's also worth considering that the Titans are the stiffest of the Head Supershape range. Others such as the Magnum will be slightly less stiff and have a tighter turn radius. The Magnums probably aren't quite as stable at the Titans but will be a bit easier in short turns.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm 6' 1" . 12 stone 6 . I'm quite happy to hang on to the titan's as I like the way they feel and pop out the turns and I'm sure as my technique and strength improve they will be fine. I might see if I can find a shorter pair of Magnums on ebay.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'g get some lessons before you spend more cash on new skis, you might find a few quick lessons is all you need to be able to ski and enjoy the skis you have and if it's not the instructor might be better able to advise what skis would be a good bet.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy