Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weight Loss — How much does it help when skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Quick update , weight loss slowed as i expected but its a long term goal and im going the right way.
192lbs , have a target to reach 190 and going to push this week to try get there.
Main aim is 180 in the next couple of months
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
17 lbs that's good going Hawkwind. Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So one from me, I'm not sure about my starting weight but estimate it was around 15st 7lbs (217lbs) and currently weighed in at 211lbs this morning after two weeks of hard work.

Total cycling since the opening post on the 16th has been 361km (224 miles) with an extra 121km (75m) planned for tomorrow.

I've been sticking to the 5:2 but eatling a little less than the full 2500 on the 5 days, alcohol consumption is down and I'm also doing Stoptober with a few Startober sessions inbetween.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
God this is hard work, hardly shifted anything this week but still eating better and drinking less - well, a few less anyway Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hawkwind wrote:
Things like 5/2 etc are all too hard , you do it for a while then get fed up , try making small lifestyle changes instead....

I'd have said that 5:2 is a small lifestyle change and much easier to maintain over the long term.
I've been doing it now continuously for over 3 years and it is a way of life and not hard at all.
You quickly get used to it and the 'fast' days aren't difficult at all to manage.

But I accept that it doesn't work for everyone - though does work for those like me who tend to constantly graze.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I really worked out last year and it made a massive difference to my ability to ski and I had more fun. I don't think its the weight so much more the fitness level.

I am overweight but unfit, I think being fit is more important that an body mass ratio
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well 194lbs
got to 190 and had always said i would have a blow out , no harm there only its lasted near a month Smile
Way too much cider , Guinness and wine , funny now after many years i can feel the effects on my body and mind , maybe your better being ignorant to it all.
Anyways,
Determined to get back on track and cut the drinking out , the eating is going really well , even when blocked im staying out of the kitchen!
maybe once every couple of weeks and all being well be back to 190 in a few weeks.

Worth posting as i feel its honest , you will more than likely take a few backsteps , but when you monitor it , easy to see how it happened and not give up.

GL anyone still persevering
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm thinking i'll join in with this now, currently at 188lbs, and i could do with being at 168. Just had a weekend of eating thanks to wedding anniversary, so now on to eating significantly more sensibly, starting back on 5:2. Lets see how this goes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
homers double ... are you really fasting as well as only taking in 2500 calories in 5 days ? and riding all those miles ??
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Started to read all the posts then stopped as I think the message is, yes, it will make a difference. I skied 1 st time at 41 years old and 16 1/2 stone. Hated it. Came back a year later at 14 1/2 stone and enjoyed it so much more so now love it. You will be fitter, stronger, lighter, have more stamina, look dead cool in your new ski gear (which you will need / have to get your self, win win) and maybe even a bit happier. I know I was. Go for it dude!!! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Adamkski69, great post! Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
limegreen1 wrote:
homers double ... are you really fasting as well as only taking in 2500 calories in 5 days ? and riding all those miles ??

I've faltered of late but over the first few weeks, yes but in reality I was consuming around 16-1700 calories on a normal day.

Most days MyFitnessPal would tell me off for not eating enough and not complete the entry.

On an "average" day if there is such a thing my intake/output would be as follows:-

Early morning bike ride 35km https://www.strava.com/activities/397249190 -700 calories
Breakfast, porridge + 200 calories ish
Lunch, grilled meat and salad + 300 calories
Dinner, some meat and salad or steamed vedge + 500 calories
Milk in tea + 200 calories

Total c-count is around + 500 because of the excercise in a morning.

Add in a few drinks on some days

Say 1/2 a bottle of wine 250 calories
A slimline vodka & tonic or 3, 350 calories

And we're still only on an intake of 1100 so add in a bit of fruit to snack on and it's around 1300.

I've blown it all again lately and stoptober has gone through the floor, we're going away for a few days this weekend but I really REALLY need to sort myself out on Monday... All diets start on a Monday.

A "blown it" example was last night, I think I had the better part of two bottles of red wine... rolling eyes which then means I've bought some granola bars this morning to nibble which aren't the best thing.

I'm just a wee wee head Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@homers double, you must be drinking red wine lite if it's only 500 calories a bottle.

I set out to have a couple of chocolate neapolitans with my coffee after lunch but when I threw the little wrappers in the bin there were undeniably 5 of them. And there's nobody else here.......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, I just did a quick google for the figure, I did think it was a bit low...
snow report
Sorry to report ive fell off the wagon Sad
198lbs flips sake , been a weird month but back on track again and hoping to easily get a few of those lbs off.
Fully understand why its happening so just need to cut back on the sessions , determined to get a few dry weeks in before xmas
snow report
Good luck Hawkwind, I have just read the whole thread and you can get a few lbs off before christmas, just cutting booze certainly helps.
snow conditions
I'm currently on my own mission to not only get fit for skiing but just generally sort my weight out long term. Getting married next year and the Ski trips have give me some good milestones to aim for. I must admit the prospect of being fitter for skiing is really good for motivation.

I've taken on a good PT in a private gym which I've just step up to 3 times a week, its going really well and with some minor tweaks to my diet I've lost 1.5 stone. I had a 2 hour session at Xscape a few weeks ago and I can already feel a massive improvement. Usually after about 45 minutes of non stop runs I get leg burn, however I did two hours without any burn at all Very Happy

Can't wait for January, I just need to try and make sure Christmas doesn't undo it all for me.

On another note, these guys that become obsessed with working out and going to the Gym I just don't get it. I hate every moment of it Laughing
snow report
Well still crap Sad
198 , even managed to hit 200lbs a week ago.
Pretty impressive stats if your looking to gain weight!
Running out of time now so have to sort myself out.
It can and will be done Smile
snow report
Mate, we need to start a self help group, I'm around 215 again which is the pitts.

That said I feel much more motivated afrter a few dry days and have eaten better. Down side is we're off to the xmas markets for drinks and food on friday...

An excuse to work it off on saturday I suppose.
latest report
What a great thread - yes weight lose does help with skiing - about 5 years ago I lost 3 stone and my skiing became more aggressive on steeps and my endurance increased - however, in hind sight I did it all wrong - I ate less and did about 3-4 hours a week of low intensity training on a rowing machine (heart rate under 140) to burn fat. Sure I burnt loads of fat but I also burnt loads of muscle. over the next 4 years I put on 2 stone then suffered a knee injury last spring. I had the knee fixed in May and since mid August I've been training 3 times a week for an hour at a time. This time round the training is much more varied - bike, HITT, rower, pilates, battle rope, dumbbells, kettle bells, suspension trainer and slam balls. I've tried to eat reasonably well, I have reduced my calories for sure, but mainly by cutting out snacks, fast food and sandwiches. I've now lost the 2 stone and feel much stronger and fitter, I feel more agile and along the journey I discovered my glutes. I can't wait for the ski season to come around - only 3 1/2 weeks to go.
snow conditions
Thats the thing I have come to realise, lifestyle adjustments make a difference and are more managable than an out and out diet.

For me most weekends consists of at least one fosters fridge pack (in an night) and a few red wines so cutting down mid week is only going to help.
latest report
Yeah all that kettle bells and slam balls is a foreign language to me and one ive no interest in learning.
I think im probably too old and lazy for all that carry on.
I did do a 3 hour hike up our biggest peak this morning in the lashing rain , hows that for commitment!
Problem is i was drenched and starving when reaching civilisation again , that called for a big feed and well deserved pint beside the fire.
Did manage a few good days though and if i can keep the walking up ill be grand Smile
snow conditions
Blown it again, kids came round last night so I made a mean chillie. And there was wine...
snow report
I don't know whether to be delighted or frustrated, I've lost over 2 stone in weight due to Gym and Spinning sessions but now XL clothes sizes are too baggy on me.

So I ended up buying a new jacket and ski pants. I'm happy with my fitness but my wallet is not!!
latest report
@RichardB, that's what we call a nice problem to have Smile
ski holidays
I suppose new year is as good a start as any.

Went for a 2.5 mile run yesterday to motivate myself and weighed in at a suprisingly low 212lbs this morning.

We're going to Winter Park on the 30th so my goal is to get lighter for that, fitness isn't so much of an issue as I ride the bikes frequently and managed the aformentioned jog without stopping.

Plan is to cut on the booze completely but we'll see how that goes at weekend (if I do fail then it'll be clear spirits and no wine) as well as cutting out snacking on unhealthy stuff.

I've also been eating porridge to help with cholesterol but that's being binned (except on cycling days) too in favour of a lighter cereal.
snow conditions
It sounds as though you are ambivalent about the booze. Saying"we'll see how it goes" sounds like talking about the weather, rather than something over which you have total control. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Being in a large social group and having (by my own admission) rubbish willpower that's the way it is.

I know it's my downfall in life but at least I don't smoke or have sugar in my tea.

*note to self - try harder*
snow report
Ah, the eternal problem for some of us . . . I was doing quite well till the Christmas Season reared its head. I had eschewed my favourite food - cheese in all it's wonderful forms! - and generally ate wisely and moderately, increased exercise levels and all that good stuff. But almost two weeks of festive cheer has seriously dented my progress. I'm usually Mrs Moderation In All Things, but the social round and generous hospitality, extensive cheese boards, not to mention it's being the only time of year when I succumb to a smidgin of the glorious product for which Devon is renowned - it's enough to test the most determined moderationist! I am not greedy, I do not lack will power, I come from a long line of stout little people, and despite my best efforts a little stout person I will remain. But that won't prevent me from doing my utmost to improve my height/weight ration between now and that trip to Livigno on the 16th. (Which, I may add, is not helped by my living with a man who's never had to worry about such things!)
snow report
@Popsie, Will heels help?😁
latest report
@homers double, depending on how you make your porridge, and how much you eat, you are better off calorie wise and feeling full than with a cereal. What do you call a light cereal? How many grams? how much milk?
snow report
Gordyjh wrote:
@Popsie, Will heels help?😁

Only if they were 8 inches high Wink
snow report
@holidayloverxx, this morning was two Weetabix with a chopped up apple and about 75mls of skimmed milk.

Looks like my scales are broke too as they 10lbs added to my bulk this morning Puzzled I did think the reading was a bit off.

Anyway last nights excersise was... https://www.strava.com/activities/463058054
snow report
@Popsie, I also think I'm too short for my weight .
snow report
@homers double,
About 230 calories then.

get weighed properly e.g at Boots where you can get a print out. Make a graph of your progress, weigh and record everything that passes your lips...lose weight and enjoy smugness or don't lose it and see where you are going wrong every week. Don't include deficit calories for exercise.
ski holidays
Sounds like a lot of over-eating, over-drinking and over-exercising taking place.
latest report
Have you tried the myfitnesspal app ?
Works with my Garmin (and fitbits I think - other trackers are available) - enter your height weight and target, it tell you how many calories you must stay below per day: add your intake either manually or through barcodes. Your activity ( and hence equivalence allowance) from fitbit / garmin is added on automatically, and you can track easily how much you've eaten and what you're up to.

Pay for the premium version if you want to track specific fats/sodium intake yada yada.

It's certainly making a difference to me (albeit I get to the end of the day,. and realise I could just sneak in another 16 Pringles without exceeding daily limits, and , well, you just have to, don't you?)
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, Yes I do use myfitnesspal periodicaly - and am on it now.

Garmin connect is linked to it as the calorie count is more accurate than that guessed by strava.
latest report
exercise won't lose you weight...calculate how much exercise you need to do to lose a pound, I did LeJoG and put on weight!

the only way to loose weight is to eat less, if you want a quick fix then look at the GM (general motors) diet, it was created for their work force...not sure it is the healthiest thing to do, but you will lose a stone in a week...and following weeks if you carry on (and probably put it back on in the following months...but it's good if you want to take some pics of the result Very Happy )

it's true, extra pounds = descend quicker!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy