Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weight Loss — How much does it help when skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
the only way you'll lose weight is by eating less

exercise will not lose you weight, calculate how much exercise you need to do, to lose a pound...it's a lot! You exercise for other reasons, strength, endurance etc, but to lose weight is a myth. I did LeJoG and put weight on!

if you want a quick fix then do the GM (general motors) diet, it was created for their work force, you'll lose a stone in a week....not sure it is the healthiest advice, but it does work (I've done it, not particularly overweight but a stone did fall off). The trick then is to eat healthy to stay at that weight.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
didnt realise there was more than one page rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
don't forget when exercising, to drink lots of water

....after all a pint of water, weighs a pound Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would say it helps loads, I've lost 1 1/2 stone since moving to Serre Chevalier, mostly from the additional exercise (long dog walks, hiking, mountain biking) and also from watching what I eat.....
Been up 4 or 5 times now on the teles and not got half as tired as I used to Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

exercise will not lose you weight, calculate how much exercise you need to do, to lose a pound...it's a lot! You exercise for other reasons, strength, endurance etc, but to lose weight is a myth. I did LeJoG and put weight on!

That's a bit silly! It's calories out and calories in isn't it? My commute to and from work is about 900 calories. If I stopped that I would have to eat less to keep my weight stable. If you don't do much exercise and you start running three times a week you could easily burn 1500 calories per week extra. A pound of body fat is 3500 calories. Keep that up WITHOUT EATING MORE and you will lose >20 lbs in a year.
Don't get me wrong - I know you can increase exercise and not reduce weight if you compensate by eating more (and also build a bit of muscle) but that is not the same thing as saying you can't lose weight by exercising more. I definitely think anyone trying to lose weight should increase exercise AND eat less - it works quicker.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agreed. Also, regular exercise can help regulate appetite. People who slob on sofas for hours each day are not notably thinner than those who exercise regularly. exercise also has many other benefits.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think we're all pretty much on board with the way to go when it comes to weight loss . . . . . It's not rocket science - it's like putting fuel in the car. You only ought to put in as much as you're going to use.

Unfortunately when it comes to the human appetite, there's no automatic cut off of the fuel source when the tank is full. I have no trouble in maintaining a stable weight with a couple of basic rules:- it's only fuel, you don't have to like everything you eat and you don't have to eat a lot of everything you like. For example, I love crisps, but as they're empty calories, rather than deny myself, I stick to treating myself to a pack on a Friday night.

I refuse to 'go on a diet' ever again, I don't respond well to restrictive regimes, so my aim is to look closely at my fuel intake and make the kind of adjustments that I'll be happy to live with long term. Perhaps There have been times when I've been filling up on 'high octane' fuel and my engine will still run efficiently on a tank or two of the sans plomb 95 as it were . . .

So unless @homers double, and I can take @Gordyjh,s advice re the heels, the old weight/height ratio is unlikely to improve dramatically this year - but if I get bitten by the skiing bug, who knows what a lithe and lissom figure I'll be cutting on the slopes next season!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice to see the thread is alive and well in 2016 and folk are motivated.
My own journey is one of continued excess although ive been swapping cider for Jack Daniels and diet coke , it hasnt worked as expected.
The result being after an encouraging drop to sub 190 i managed to reach 209 , that is quite an achievement albeit in the wrong direction , i could give self help courses to body builders and the like , whatever fuel i run on fairly piles the pounds on.

Anyways , like all determined weight watchers , new year heralds new motivation.
im currently 202lbs , i leave for a month long beach holiday in Thailand so my real motivation was to lose the belly in order not to look like a stereotypical brit sex tourist. I know ill have a complex when walking around Sad
I have a few days to starve myself down to sub 200 and maybe ill lose a bit out there with all the walking.

The real change will happen when i return: off the drink and get the initial weight down to 190 before making the necessary change to moderation and sorting this out once and for all.

best of luck all Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Diet Coke = not good for you, so stop drinking it (and alcohol) to help get the weight off.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The real change will happen when i return: off the drink and get the initial weight down to 190 before making the necessary change to moderation and sorting this out once and for all.

Good luck to you too. My weight has fluctuated over the years and I've never been skinny. When I've been losing weight (as I have been recently Xmas apart rolling eyes ) I have moderately increased my exercise (from a decent amount to quite a lot) and got more disciplined about eating - mainly just cutting out eating between meals, avoiding extra helpings and a bit less booze. If I do this then weight just trickles off.

One thing I find helps is to remember this:
a chocolate digestive biscuit is 86 calories. One a day is 31000 calories a year. At 3500 calories per pound of body fat that is 9lbs per year. My point is just that small but sustained changes to the way you live bring big changes. You don't need to do anything very extreme.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

One thing I find helps is to remember this:
a chocolate digestive biscuit is 86 calories. One a day is 31000 calories a year. At 3500 calories per pound of body fat that is 9lbs per year. My point is just that small but sustained changes to the way you live bring big changes. You don't need to do anything very extreme.

Brilliant!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jedster wrote:
Quote:

That's a bit silly! It's calories out and calories in isn't it? My commute to and from work is about 900 calories. If I stopped that I would have to eat less to keep my weight stable. If you don't do much exercise and you start running three times a week you could easily burn 1500 calories per week extra. A pound of body fat is 3500 calories. Keep that up WITHOUT EATING MORE and you will lose >20 lbs in a year.
Don't get me wrong - I know you can increase exercise and not reduce weight if you compensate by eating more (and also build a bit of muscle) but that is not the same thing as saying you can't lose weight by exercising more. I definitely think anyone trying to lose weight should increase exercise AND eat less - it works quicker.

The dude is right.

Diet is for fatness.

Exercise is for fitness.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jedster wrote:

I've found that moderating my diet has been more effective than exercising more, but it's not something I'm happily able to do long term (especially when the sandwich shop near work is cheap and everything comes with melted cheese).

A couple of years ago the place I was working did a new year Fat Club. Everyone weighed themselves on the first week back and then again at the end of March. I was one of the few that actually did it properly by altering my diet to reasonably good effect and started exercising more, losing just under a stone over the 3 months. I kept eating reasonably well but did slip a bit and soon put a bit of weight back on, at which point my boss challenged me to do a 3km open water swim. In training for it I was swimming a mile about 3 times a week on average, which many would think would be good exercise and help me lose a few pounds. What it actually did was make me starving hungry and I'd often stop on the way home to buy copious amounts of cheese and carbs which meant my weight pretty much stayed the same. The real issue came after I completed the swim, stopped exercising but kept eating the same amount Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
What it actually did was make me starving hungry and I'd often stop on the way home to buy copious amounts of cheese and carbs which meant my weight pretty much stayed the same.

I've done a 100km road ride fueled by porridge and a few cereal bars along the way and got home to promptly demolish poached eggs on toast and a full quiche* so I know what you mean. There are recovery drinks which may help with this but I've never investigated or used them.

*real mean don't eat quiche.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

*real mean don't eat quiche.

Didn't know you were real mean, Homer NehNeh

I've found hypnotherapy useful over a period of time for changing habits - not *specifically* to lose weight, but to change internal habits so I don't associate nothing to do/being bored, with: go and eat something/go to the chip shop etc...

Lost 1/2 a stone in the 2 weeks before Christmas by having a bowl of All Bran, an orange and a bowl of soup every day (had a cold so appetite was suppressed) - looking forward to the ski trips this season. 10 sleeps to go to the first one Cool
snow report
Quote:

In training for it I was swimming a mile about 3 times a week on average, which many would think would be good exercise and help me lose a few pounds. What it actually did was make me starving hungry and I'd often stop on the way home to buy copious amounts of cheese and carbs which meant my weight pretty much stayed the same. The real issue came after I completed the swim, stopped exercising but kept eating the same amount

Yep. Swimming is notorious for making you hungry - not sure what the explanation is.
When I worked a ski season many moons ago I was at my trimmest despite eating and drinking loads (pro chef in the chalet I worked in who liked cooking really rich food). I generally don't think downhill skiing is very intense exercise but if you hammer bumps and off piste 6 days a week it and can't afford lunches on the mountain it turns out it can be! Problem arose when I came home and started a "proper job" and was too busy exploring London to do any exercise - carried on eating and ballooned.
latest report
Quote:

The dude is right.

Diet is for fatness.

Exercise is for fitness.

Nah - it is simply calories out / calories in - balance it how you like.
Think about my choc biscuit example. Could achieve exactly the same with an extra 10 minute run every day.
Explain why that isn't true.
ski holidays
Quote:

Read good calories/bad calories and you will see it isn't that simple
snow report
Quote:

Think about my choc biscuit example. Could achieve exactly the same with an extra 10 minute run every day.

Explain why that isn't true.

I cant argue with the basic science its human nature that is the problem!
snow conditions
Quote:

I cant argue with the basic science its human nature that is the problem!

yes - there I agree. either way you need self-discipline Sad
snow report
Where can I buy some?
snow report
Another thing to bear in mind is that when you exercise you are burning calories and so, hopefully, losing fat but you are also building muscle which, as it happens, is heavier than fat. So if you don't change your eating you may indeed not lose weight exercising, you might even increase it - this happened to me one time back in the seventies when I got a job involving a lot of very hard manual labour - but at least you might end up a better shape snowHead Toofy Grin
latest report
Going back to the original question Happy I skied 10 weeks last winter and although pretty ski fit I was carrying a bit too much weight. I lost about 9kg during spring/summer and have already skied 18 days this winter with probably another 70 or 80 to go Happy I do feel a lot more dynamic in my skiing and haven't really had any muscular aching since day 1. BTW I'm 57 too so hardly a spring chicken Happy
snow report
We can go off folks you know...
snow conditions
@homers double, Toofy Grin
snow conditions
This is a bit like timdogs thread in apres...

Yesterday I had a good day. No alcohol, under my calorie goal, 31km night ride, healthy dinner.

Today, not as light as a feather but lighter than a post chrismas tubber Smile
snow conditions
Gstar wrote:
exercise won't lose you weight...calculate how much exercise you need to do to lose a pound, I did LeJoG and put on weight!

!

I've just read through a couple of pages and this was I was thinking.

Diet is always the key.

I tend to have more time on my hands for preparing meals etc than many, but my general rule of thumb is that if it gets advertised I don't eat it, if its processed, I don't eat it and I only try to eat things that are grown and sold in there natural form. I also try to only eat meat once or twice a week.

its easier said than done sometimes, but grabbing a load of cherry tomatoes to snack on is a lot healthier than grabbing a granola bar.
snow report
And grabbing a granola bar is a lot healthier than grabbing a coke and a packet of crisps.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
And grabbing a granola bar is a lot healthier than grabbing a coke and a packet of crisps.

i'd bet it isn't! diet coke contain no sugar or calories plus a 150 calories from a bag of crisps is better than a 250 calories fruit and nut bar made up of about 40% sugar.

personally, I wouldn't eat any of them
latest report
Apropos the granola bar thing, my wife's boss has a weird relationship with food and is always trying out ways of reducing his weight. He's an intelligent man, but she can't convince him that a "home made" flapjack from the sandwich bar that's the size of two Mars bars is likely to have a calorific content that's similar, if not higher.

As an aside, I'm still not on the diet wagon and this weekend I'll be making a stollen bread pudding to use up the leftovers. Would hate to see all those calories going in the bin.
ski holidays
Quote:

i'd bet it isn't! diet coke contain no sugar or calories plus a 150 calories from a bag of crisps is better than a 250 calories fruit and nut bar made up of about 40% sugar.

personally, I wouldn't eat any of them

But that depends on your definition of healthy- and I think that is half the problem a diet coke and a packet of cripss would certainly be lower in calories than the granola but the nuts and ots would like have a higher nutritional values. Unfortunately people often equate low calorie = healthy when in fact its often full of junk!

As you quite rightly said though its nearly always better nutrionally to have food that is fresh and made by yourself that any shop bought equivalent
snow conditions
@Giffordpikes,
Quote:

its nearly always better nutrionally to have food that is fresh and made by yourself that any shop bought equivalent

True, but in fairness, there are a few good ready-made things which are free from e-numbers and so on. I sometimes buy Waitrose spinach dal as a light supper for instance, and it is both delicious and additive-free. Similarly, I have an addiction to Skinnylicious pumpkin soup, and that too seems healthy enough. One just has to read the labels carefully.
ski holidays
Quote:

True, but in fairness, there are a few good ready-made things which are free from e-numbers and so on

Yes I agree there are a few exceptions. I quite like the innocent veg pots too, but as you say you do have to always read the lables carefully and very often with quick convenience foods most people dont have the time.

I used to regularly pop in to my local supermarket and quickly grab a sandwich from the low cal range thinking I was being good. Actually if you read the labels the calories on some of the low fat range are higher than some of the non low cal versions - but here I am talking about just calories and not nutritional values as well. Think the pumpkin soup or the veg pot are both better choices than a sandwich.
latest report
i'm not sure i'd put 5 teaspoons of sugar into a pot of soup and tell myself that it was going to make me skinny Wink
latest report
Giffordpikes wrote:
Quote:

True, but in fairness, there are a few good ready-made things which are free from e-numbers and so on

Yes I agree there are a few exceptions. I quite like the innocent veg pots too, but as you say you do have to always read the lables carefully and very often with quick convenience foods most people dont have the time.

I used to regularly pop in to my local supermarket and quickly grab a sandwich from the low cal range thinking I was being good. Actually if you read the labels the calories on some of the low fat range are higher than some of the non low cal versions - but here I am talking about just calories and not nutritional values as well. Think the pumpkin soup or the veg pot are both better choices than a sandwich.

I get completely confused as to how they manage to get so much fat into ready made sandwiches!?!
snow report
eddiethebus wrote:
i'm not sure i'd put 5 teaspoons of sugar into a pot of soup and tell myself that it was going to make me skinny Wink
Sorry, it's actually butternut squash. 16.4g of sugar in the whole pot, which weighs in at 600g, total calories 206. Not ideal, I agree, but I think I'll survive this carb onslaught occasionally. wink Any soup made from root vegetables is going to contain carbs of course, whether home-made or bought.
snow report
Quote:

I get completely confused as to how they manage to get so much fat into ready made sandwiches!?!

I saw a program on this once - I think they coated the tomatoes in the BLT in lard so the bread didnt go soggy wink
snow report
I've been a fatty all my adult life and I've been on numerous diets and all they really did was ruin my metabolism and make me grumpy. When you fall off the diet wagon you end up storing the fat and putting more weight back on.

For a diet to be really effective it has to be a permanent change and above all something you can sustain forever.
I'm currently using the 'my fitness pal' app to keep control of the calories I eat.

I'm also doing some running using the 'couch to 5k' app and so far without really trying too hard I've lost 8lb in 3 weeks.

Ouch!
latest report
Well done Ouch! I'm not doing very well ATM and I doubt 10 days on the land of burgers and fries next week is going to help. I'll have to try my hardest on the steeps to burn off the lunch.
latest report
Maybe alternate downhill skiing - which doesn't burn off many calories if you're good at it - with some walking uphill.

Most decent resorts have a good range of marked tracks for walking and snowshoeing.

On many ski holidays it's the booze rather than the burgers which creates the problem.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy