Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow and Rock Level 5

Poster: A snowHead
What methods can be used to grade your own skiing? Is there anything worse or more embarassing than quoting a level on the Snow and Rock 1-10 scale when a guide/instructor asks about your skiing ability?

If you understate your ability for a group lesson with a guide/instructor you could be falling asleep while you're cruising the blues and the reds; if you overstate it, you could be tree-skiing - into them rather than around them.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Theoretically, it shouldn't be a problem. I've never had an instructor not watch me ski before deciding what programme to set. Not sure about guides, though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
is the snow and rock scale somewhere on the web? doesn't seem to be on their website - intrigued to know where i fit on it...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I still think the jolly old Ski Club checklist to be found here should give you a pretty good idea of where you are - if you're honest rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MM, here's the link to S & R's ability guide.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mark Hunter,

I like your level 1 which I fit right in. Trouble is would 12 weeks=at least 1 week be reasonable?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"LEVEL 1 You've skied at least a week, you've learned to turn, stop and ride the lifts."

I haven't learned how to turn or stop the lifts yet. Does this make me a level 0? snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To stop the lifts you just stay on (either deliberately or attached by backpack strap) - that must be worth an 0.5 (or 10 if you fall into the safety netting)... Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alan Craggs, I like the Ski Club ranking - it seems pretty intuitive. 95% of us end up falling in some kind of "intermediate" category anyway!

Too many ranking systems seem to have too many grades. No matter what level you're at, you're going to end up needing to be taught different things than the person next to you in ski school anyway (unless you're a complete beginner). That's why private tuition works so well.

Incidentally, not sure I agree with the Ski Club timings - I'd classify myself as an advanced intermediate, yet I've only done the equivalent of about 5 weeks. Either that makes me a fast learner (doubtful) or their guide a bit off.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
masopa, Indeed, woe betide anyone who claims to be an "expert"! I think the time question is related to experience - given the right attitude and a minimum aptitude most people can progress quite quickly (from a technical standpoint) to the stage when they can "get down" most pisted runs in reasonable snow/weather conditions - to take your own example (not saying it applies to you!), you could have done 5 weeks on nice snow under blue skies. Your 6th week might be 6 days of blizzards when you would be unable to know whether you were standing still or moving, never mind see the piste markers - would you still be an advanced intermediate then? I am guessing that the suggested time periods are an attempt to ensure that those going on the trips have had an opportunity to experience the good, the bad and the ugly. This is a benefit (although some might not think so!) of the Club trips - you receive some (impartial?!)third party feedback about your own skiing (if your ego can stand it!)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 17-04-04 11:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There were quite a few bruised egos on my last Ski Club Off Piste training trip. In the better groups many found their standard had actually been downgraded by the end of the week. The implied critism was not taken lightly and explanations that different instructors might grade more harshly weren't accepted.

I'm sure everyone improved over the week which is the main thing. The assigned grade is just a bit of paper and doesn't affect your skiing. I suppose it could be important if you are using your official grading to prove you are up to standard for a prospective holiday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing on the same note, how do you "turn" a lift - bribery, blackmail, the old honey trap perhaps?

Level five states that on blacks you start your turn with a stern Exclamation What, talking to?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mark Hunter, you "turn" a lift, in the same way you turn a vegetarian - just give it a good juicy sirloin.

L5 starts off with a stern talking to the boarder sitting down right where you want to turn.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ahhhh, of course rolling eyes Seems so obvious now you mention it Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Had been in many situations of skiing from one marker post to another marker post in thick fog. Couldn't see the snow, other skiers and don't know if I am moving either stationary. Take hours to do just one run and would be happy to accpet -10 as long as reaching the bottom in one piece.
snow report
Alan Craggs, very good point: I'd forgotten that some lucky whassnames learn to ski in non-Scottish conditions!

Feedback is essential - it's a great leveller to think you can carve and then be promptly told by your instructor that you're not using your skis at all. It may dent the ego a bit, but it's good in the long run...
snow conditions
Or, as one kindly ESF instructor said to a member of our chalet who had fallen for the severaleth time that day, offering "poor technique" as an explanation, "No monsieur Martin, you 'ave no technique" Sad
latest report
Laughing that's the sort of sadistic ski instruction I'm looking for!
snow conditions
I was faced with the question about ability at Alpine Experience in VDI and I had to resort to my Ski Club grading. I'm sure we can do better than that. When is the Snowheads AGM?

Over at epickski they talk about PSIA Level in a thread relating to the ability required to ski a particular couloir. Some serious analysis- and a bit of skiing too- going on there. I guess PSIA is not a sister shop to Snow & Rock. PSIA-links to gradings anyone?

It would be good to ski off the Valluga with a guide in St Anton, be given a grading; flash that to a guide in VDI, and ski Pisteurs or the North Face of the Promecou - heaven. A national ski grading system that can be correlated with other national systems would be great. If the EU referendum question can guarantee this, then it gets my vote!
snow report
Is PSIA not some kind of professional ski instructors of America or something? Ahh i dont know PSIA, DINs SCGB i get so confused!

Im a Ski Clubintermediate on piste (hahahaha- could ski to this standard all day- why on earth would i want to do that?!) but there wasnt a section for "hates off piste and refuses to do it" on the off piste bit
snow report
Kit Wong wrote:
I was faced with the question about ability at Alpine Experience in VDI and I had to resort to my Ski Club grading. I'm sure we can do better than that. When is the Snowheads AGM?

Over at epickski they talk about PSIA Level in a thread relating to the ability required to ski a particular couloir. Some serious analysis- and a bit of skiing too- going on there. I guess PSIA is not a sister shop to Snow & Rock. PSIA-links to gradings anyone?

It would be good to ski off the Valluga with a guide in St Anton, be given a grading; flash that to a guide in VDI, and ski Pisteurs or the North Face of the Promecou - heaven. A national ski grading system that can be correlated with other national systems would be great. If the EU referendum question can guarantee this, then it gets my vote!

It's useful if you're pre-booking for some set peice run but otherwise there's no point. the last time I went out with a guide was on a board and the guy was excellent. We did a couple of lines and he gauged my standard perfectly and then took me down things which were fantastic challenges and a real push for my ability.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy