Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jul 2015 Australia Ski Trip Report - Now With Photos

Poster: A snowHead
Currently at Hong Kong Airport en route home after a 3 week holiday of a lifetime in Australia, with 2 nights in Hong Kong on the outbound trip.

We loved our first Oz ski experience - at Thredbo (one day) and Perisher (two days) - loads of fresh snow and told by the locals that it was the best conditions in years. That'll do us!

Our Thredbo day was snowy, windy and cold - some exposed chairlifts were awful to ride - but we had a great time skiing fresh snow among the gum trees. There's a pretty decent vertical there of about 600m - so a great day's skiing. Two fast chairs and a fair few other lifts - with queues of only a few minutes on a Sunday - made for a decent area.

Run marking is virtually non-existent - you just seemingly ski where you like and everywhere becomes pisted by skiers/boarders. Fine in decent visibility but not so good to follow a sign saying 'Most difficult route' above the treeline in a white out/howling gale.The 'run' just disappeared - no markers at the sides, no further signs...nothing. Fortunately someone skied past us and we followed them.

Perisher was sunny with excellent packed powder. It's a very extensive area spread over three or four different areas with a lot of lifts. However, the vertical is small - a maximum of about 400m and some fast chairs serving verticals of only 125m. Amazing really.

The other thing we found with Perisher was that there are a lot of very flat runs - and that routes marked as black diamond/most difficult are no steeper than many medium red runs in the Alps. Still, no complaints at the snow conditions and we had two great days. Found some good cruising runs too.

Would say that both areas are well worth a trip if you are in Australia - both about two hours drive from Canberra/5 hours from Sydney. Definitely better than an Alpine glacier, though very odd to be plunged into winter in July.

Will try and post a few pics over the next few days once I get back/organised at home.

The rest of our trip was amazing Very Happy - we've loved Oz and can't wait to return as there is just so much to see and do. We had such a fantastic time. Hong Kong was excellent and after that we:
- Visited Sydney - lovely city.
- Climbed the Bridge.
- Went mountain biking.
- Visited the beautiful Blue Mountains.
- Dived with sharks (in an aquarium!) - fantastic, the sharks were 4m long.
- Visited Cairns.
- Walked in a rainforest and explored tropical beaches in Queensland.
- Snorkelled at the Barrier Reef.
- Saw a fantastic sunset at Uluru and a fantastic sunrise at KataTjuta.
- Camped in the Outback in a bushman's swag (ie bivvy bag) by the campfire under a starry sky.
- Went on a hot air balloon trip over the Outback at sunrise.
- Visited friends in Canberra - not a lot there (went up a nice viewpoint tower and had a good day at the National Museum) but lovely to see our mates.

Now it's back to work- to recharge our batteries wink after early starts every day to pack in as much as we could.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 12-08-15 13:14; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the report @mountainaddict, I can't ever imagine going to Australia in their winter!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glad you had a good time. I had a week in the Snowy Mountains a few years back as part of a longer trip to Australia. I preferred Thredbo to Perisher but my favourite area was Mount Blue Cow, the next stop up the line on the SkiTube underground railway. Some steeper, more challenging stuff, slightly better snow condtions and absolutely no queues for the lifts!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne After 29C in Alice Springs in midwinter I can't imagine being there in their summer!

Sydney & Cairns were lovely at around 19/20C - really pleasant Very Happy.

LOTA Did Blue Cow used to be separate? All on one pass now.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 7-08-15 23:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it mountainaddict. Great work on getting the good weather and snow conditions Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mountainaddict, Yes, Blue Cow was separate from Perisher-Smiggins and Guthega in those olden days. I still have my Blue Cow day tickets somewhere with a piste map printed on the back.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice report. I'm Australian and you've been some places I've never been. Can you believe that I've been to Poland but never to Queensland!

I'm off to Perisher in a couple of weeks so hopefully the snow's still good.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
More snow since we were there Raven so (fingers crossed) snow cover hopefully shouldn't be an issue.

As ever, we travelled with an open mind and loved the Oz ski experience. Given some of the 'long way to go for small areas' and 'the snow is rubbish' stuff we'd read before we got there, I'd have to say it all rather exceeded our expectations.

We especially enjoyed the bigger vertical of Thredbo and the Guthega area of Perisher - one of our favourite run names ever has to be Wombats Lament at Guthega! For Perisher we parked at Smiggin Holes - which is great for easy access to the snow.

Stayed outside Jindabyne at The Station self catering complex. Read some negative reviews of it but we really enjoyed our stay - a great set up with its pub/restaurant etc. Warm, comfortable accommodation too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Right, a few Australia ski pics as promised Very Happy. The village is Thredbo but all the action shots are from Perisher as the photos are much better than our whiteout day at Thredbo...

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good to see those shots - always interesting to see other ski areas. Glad the trip was successful; you are evidently very positive about new places and experiences. snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah, Front Valley at Perisher - just as I remember it!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep Pam W - just love to travel/explore & if there's some skiing to be done as well, then so much the better Very Happy.

Most people we've told about the trip have said "Skiing?? In Australia?!" Laughing Must say, it was all a bit strange to have ski temps of -5C and temps of 29C (Alice Springs) on the same hol!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mountainaddict, looks epic. Our kid skis regularly at Mt Buller in Victoria this time of year (he lives in Melbourne), and he reports that after a crap last season, this one has started brilliantly
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The snow was fantastic thecramps - perfect packed powder on piste and some powder off it. We are easily pleased when it comes to skiing but by all accounts had the best conditions in years Very Happy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mountainaddict, glad you had a great time, I am very jealous. Roll on January. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Great pics, seems like the weather and snow treated you well.

Looks pretty quite. I seem the remember going back into Perisher can get pretty busy.
ski holidays
Cheers thecramps!

First day at Thredbo was a whiteout with strong winds yuppie - fresh snow so still enjoyed it, with a bit of shelter in the trees. It's just amazing to have full-on winter skiing in July.

Overall, it wasn't too busy at all. We skied three days, Sun - Tues, and even on the Sunday (at Thredbo) didn't queue for more than a few minutes. The runs never felt busy. We were parked at Smiggin Holes - so didn't ski down to Perisher much after we'd seen how gentle most of the runs on that face of the mountain are - brilliant area for beginners though, with some fast chairs.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy