Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Choice time.. Blackeye or Latigo

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I want to get a new pair of skis for my son, I find it really easy to select my own, but I'm struggling to made a decision on what he should use, level 7-8 skier, about 65kg, and 172cm tall. Skiing we do really depends upon the available conditions. So good snow means more side country, looking for untracked pockets, few jumps, piste accessable freshies etc. little or no fresh snow means looking for quieter aresa on piste, side country, mogul play time (my fav).

I'm Kind of thinking Atomic Blackeye, Blizzard Latigo/Brahma, All kind of 167-170cm at the moment. Accepting that they all have a more than decent piste performance, I'm wondering about the all mountain and powder capability of these. I think to be honest I worry about the powder/soft snow performance of a relatively narrow ski.

Any thoughts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brahma every time. The 173cm Brahma's width, construction, flex, camber & rocker would be ideal for his stats & requirements - especially as you can then put a decent flat mounted binding of your choice on it as opposed to being getting a rattly/flexy rail binding.

Blackeye with rail binding would be the cheapest option & would offer (greater) future boot length adjustment if his feet are still growing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bob, Brahmas. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bob, consider the bliz bushwacker instead of the Brahma, less metal equals less weight, but same profile.
I love my Brahmas, but I would prefer a bit more flex. I'm 72Kg and 175cm, level 6-7.
I tried the Blackeye and did not really register a difference compared to straight piste skis.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IIRC Blizzard aren't offering the Bushwacker this season which is not surprising as the Brahma is only slightly stiffer longitudinally (it's quite a bit stiffer torsionally, which is a good thing). You'll be lucky to find a Bushwacker from last season however the womens Black Pearl is the exact same ski and the top sheet isn't girlie and it's in the 15/16 line up.

I've got Brahma's but have also skied the Bushwacker and the extra torsional stiffness of the Brahma is noticeable on hardpack. I'd only go with the Bushwacker if I was going to mount a touring binding.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy