Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lange Comp 120 replacement

Poster: A snowHead
First of all, yes, I know, see a bootfitter. None close to me (in the same country) so I need to do some searching on my own
Current boots - Lange comps about 2001 vintage. Medium fit (98mm I think?). Had quite a bit of grinding done over my big toes (the nails turn upwards, also filing the nails down as much a possible helps). I use them with one of the rear rivets out, softens them a bit.The toes and the heels are starting to wear, despite me being a one week a year skier and taking great care (trying to limit walking around as much as possible).
I'm really not looking forward to buying new boots, but suggestions on possible fits greatly appreciated. Do any of the heat fitted shells really work (they seem to be for wide feet mainly)
Also, I did try on some Salomons with a 100 flex and they felt really soft but I really don't want a too stiff boot. I get the feeling that boots have become softer (hence the inflation of 150 boots)?
Tried Atomic Hawxs and didn't like them.

What else?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I switched from those exact boots (same year as well) to Technica Cochise, fitted by the excellent Sole Bootlab in Chamonix. Coincidentally the same bootfitter as originally fitted my Lange's, when he worked elsewhere!

The Cochise are much softer but I found this improved my skiing in most situations. They are more comfortable and the lighter weight makes them and the skis much more maneuverable. I had mine fitted with intuition liners and custom footbeds.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Googling Conchise..
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Aha. I see that the 120 is 100 mm and that the (ugly orange) 130 pro is 98mm. Is the 130 much softer than the 120 Comp?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sugardaddy, in principle, 130 shouldn't be softer than 120 ... assuming tested in same way ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for the Technica Cochise, got a pair which are now a few season old but really good boot.
I was concerned at the time that they would be too much of a narrow fit, but they have worn in well.

Worth a look, as not to unreasonable on price atm.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bil, had a pair of Lange's of a similar era (though don't know the actual model) he got fitted by CEM with a pair of Dalbello boots and loves them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, well, yes.... in theory. When I bought my boots the flex on retail boots went only up to 120. Nowadays boots go up to 140-150 and reviews seem to sugest that they're quite well suited for non WC skiers. I tried on Salomons with a 100 and (in the warm shop) they felt sooooft.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My Cochise 110 are much softer than my Lange 120 boots; I wouldn’t say the ratings are comparable. I might be misinterpreting the one-week-a-year thing, but do you really need boots that stiff? (i.e. are you either a retired racer or very heavy?). My Cochise are immeasurably better in powder and on bumps, and I spend much more time in that kind of terrain than canted over hitting gates.

I still use the Lange's for pure piste or gates, but mainly because my piste skis have downhill bindings and changing the sole plate on the cochise is a faff.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowdave,
Quote:

I might be misinterpreting the one-week-a-year thing, but do you really need boots that stiff? (i.e. are you either a retired racer or very heavy?)

I never ran gates but I've started skiing as a child. When I bought the Langes I was lighter but in good shape and after a few years of skiing more than one week per year. Now I'm heavier but.... The Comp 120 were a bit stiff in bumps and deep(er) stuff. I took out a rivet from the back and it softened them a little bit - perfect. It is true that when I try softer skis the boots are too stiff.
I'm not really looking to buy a boot as stiff or stiffer than the Langes - hence being put off by boots with 140 flex (and if you look at the OP you'll see that I tryed on a 100 flex), but it seems that I should be looking at 110-120 flex and not go to a 100 flex as I previously thought
For example Lange have the RX series in 130, 120 in 100 mm width, 100 Low Volume in 97 width (they all look like crap tho, the RS line is the only blue one). It seems like the RX 100 might be too soft (I had my eye on it)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sugardaddy, flexes vary between brands and even between models form the same brand, the old lange 120 is probably close to the newer 130 (you can always remove a bolt from the back to soften them a little (not both bolts or you kill the rebound)) if you need that narrower fit there are other options but without seeing your feet it is hard to tell, possibly 120 flex atomic redster pro, or the cochise pro, or a salomon x max (although this is not "narrow" in many places) this is what makes it tricky, without seeing the feet we are all just guessing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@CEM, thanks. I'm not looking for the same level of stiffness, I want something a bit softer, but not too soft. I ain't that old and fat!
My feet are quite trouble-free, apart from big toes that curl upwards (it was solved by doing a few grinds and by filing the nails a lot). Thin calves, I wear the strap inside the shell.
The Salomon I tried (black and white boot x pro maybe) felt soft , a bit wide and a bit short (size 26.5 just like the Langes) - but the liner is supposed to pack.
How about Lange rx 100? if I can find them, that is
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh, one more thing - why are the boots so ugly now? Or I'm getting old?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sugardaddy, that is a lot of the problem the 100 flex is soft and the 130 (normally the one up in the narrower last) is too stiff some of the difficulty comes with not having a fitter to work with, they would be able to make the boot softer for you if required, i have not seen anywhere in the thread, what is your height, body weight and how much skiing have you done, i really think you have to ignore the numbers on the boot in terms of 120 130 etc and go with what feels right, most 130's of today are softer than their 120 counterparts of 10 years ago... the softest mens boot we carry in stock is a 100 (which can be softened to 80-90) why, because anything softer is too soft for most people we see in the store.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@CEM, Thanks. No bootfitter for me, not without a 4-5 hours flight. I'm 42 years old. Have started skiing at the age of 4 or 5. Later skied on hand-me-downs leather boots and non releasing bindings. I still remember the first time in plastic boots!! In my early twenties skied more (about 3 weeks per year) and in the last 16-17 years a week per year. Have taken quite a bit of instruction (also due to the fact that I went to Club Med quite a few times).
Height - 1.75 m Weight - right now a dreadfull 90 kg will go down to my usual 80-82 until winter.
Good shout about the Redster pro (remind me a bit of my limegreen Nordica GP), wasn't aware of it. Which is another problem - the market is flooded with so many models and too few sites have a decent or usefull search function
latest report
So, the answer to the original question is the Atomic Redster Pro 120 (thanks CEM). I tried on the Tecnica Mach1 MV and they were too wide (couldn't find the LV version), the Lange RS 130 (good fit but too stiff). Finding good boots in softer flexes has been a challenge (most shops seem to stock only the stiffest option). The Atomics were the only ones with the flex less than 130, that I could find. The fit out the box wasn't as good as the Lange. But!! the shells and the liners can be heated and fitted. I was a bit skeptic, but this really works! I needed a bit more space for my heels and for the left toe, after the heating the boots fit very well (better than the Langes)!! Also, they are a tad more upright than the Lange Comps which turned out to be a good thing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy