Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Movement Super Turbo Evo 198 or recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at replacing my Redeemers (too short) with some 2015 Movement Super Turbo Evo 198. Would love a 2m Redeemer but Mark P at WD says they need to cater for the masses and not some rugby playing freeride wannabe. Sad

I've got something similar to the Ranger. PM Gear carbon 187 and 115 waist for free touring.

So has anybody skied them? Any other recommendations

I'll be using them like the Redeemers, for just about everything!!!! The redeemers were great skis, with enough speed your could carve on anything except clean ice and they were gorgeous just surfing around in powder. They just came up a little short when really pushing it on open slopes.

Might open up another thread but as I'm writing this:

Also anybody used the 2015 Salomon Guardian 16s with the MNC. Thinking about mounting them on this ski for very short ups of 1-2 hours.
Is there any real disadvantage to mounting these types of bindings these days compared to a trad freeride alpine binding like a Look pivot. I'm not hucking huge cliffs and I haven't got a heli on call, is it best to have the option for short ups. In the past I've hated the height raise that frame bindings gave you compared to tech and the lateral slop killed Baron for me.

I'm currently looking at a good deal on ekosport.

Background:

I'm 6ft2 and 105kg
400 odd days on skis including season in Cham.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know nothing about the Movements, but some other ideas:

194 Down CD1? I have Marker Barons on them (I have one pair of barons quiver killed to use over all my skis), though I've never (and doubt I ever will) tour on them. They're incredible skis in anything over 20cm deep and fine on any consistent snow other than ice, but the super wide tips aren't very enjoyable in tracked snow.

196 Völkl 2 or 3?

196 Praxis Protest also worth a look. My mate happily skis them everywhere, but they're not a carving ski; you'd have to enjoy drifting turns on groomers (before someone comments, no I'm not talking about uncontrolled skidding).

If you want more chargey than pure powder surfing, maybe also look at 196 4FRNT Renegade (my 193 4FRNT EHPs ski longer than the Downs), Volkl Shiro 202 (I think, around 2m anyway), and I think DPS still make a 2 metre Lotus 120 (personally I don't like the pintail, but lots of people love them).

I'm not sure how worthwhile it is putting touring bindings on skis in the high 190s. I guess it's nice to have the option of skinning back out of something while exploring in deep snow, but kick turns must be hell on steep slopes...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 3-08-15 17:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@clarky999, thanks for the ideas. I think you're right re. touring with long heavy skis. Prob just bang on a pair of Pivots
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy