Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best / Easiest resort for a Weekend

Poster: A snowHead
OK, so looking to get a weekend (or a few) away this season, possibly December, and March (either side of PreBB and S13BB)

I suppose I could trawl the t'internet and find the best / easiest places, but on this occasion id like to draw on the SH collective (lets be honest your all much better than google Happy )

So - Leave Friday, head back Monday to give 2 full days of skiing.

Where would you go??

Skiing wise, I'm experienced, and not fussed at all about night life (Ski, Sleep, Repeat!)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where are you flying from?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Uk - Mancs, brum or london, doesn't really bother me Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Easy.

Afaik, most frequent alpine flights are into Geneva.

Easiest from there is Chamonix (1 hour). La Clusaz also quick. A little but not much slower are PdS and Grand Massif. Also Evasion Mont Blanc, etc.

I don't think there's a better option logistics wise.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Assuming you're travelling from London area/SE England...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
J2ski have a searchable sortable thingamajig https://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Geneva.html
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
Easy.

Afaik, most frequent alpine flights are into Geneva.

Easiest from there is Chamonix (1 hour). La Clusaz also quick. A little but not much slower are PdS and Grand Massif. Also Evasion Mont Blanc, etc.

I don't think there's a better option logistics wise.

This.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would look at flying into Innsbruck. Stay in the city and get the bus to which ever of the local resorts that you fancy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@googiew, problem I think being for a weekend is flight availability, in particularly direct, into Innsbruck...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A quick, not comprehensive look on Skyscanner backs this up.

Presuming@PaulC1984, doesn't want to take time off work and doesn't want to spend Friday or Monday travelling => direct evening flights on Friday and Sunday.

Couldn't find suitable times out of London and no directs out of Manchester nor Birmingham into Innsbruck. But loads out of London into GVA.

We've done (when we lived in London) 2 day trips to Champoluc many times although Geneva's easier so Turin, Milan MXP / LIN also feasible.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agree that Geneva is particularly easy, at least from London there are various flight options that offer the opportunity to get 2 full days skiing for no time off work. For Chamonix you can even just hop on a bus rather than hiring a car. If you fancy Engelberg, you can also fly from Gatwick to Basel with evening flights on the Friday/Sunday. It's then ~1h30 drive to resort.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From Manchester the easiest and cheapest option is driving to Glencoe. You can easily get there in under 5 hours. Accommodation is cheap and plentiful. Better in March though, rarely open in December. Season more like Jan - early May.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I live in Central Manchester now so I'll be doing a few weekends taking the 6pm easyjet flight to Geneva on Fri eve, and 4.45pm flight back on Sunday - for weekends in Chamonix.

It'll only really be 1 and 1/2 days skiing, but it's also 2 nights out with my friends, so that'll do me.

Annoyingly easyjet do a 9pm sunday evening flight from Geneva to Manc over the summer, but not the winter Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ryanair fly Stansted->Salzburg on Sat, Sun, Mon, Wed, Fri
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@fixx, Eayjet flights to/from Geneva from Liverpool offer more choice, you can get a full day's skiing in Chamonix and catch a flight at around 21:30
snow report
London (Stansted) → Salzburg
Friday, 22 Jan 2016
06:20 - 09:15
1 Adult, 59.99 GBP
1 x Adult Fare 59.99 GBP

Salzburg → London (Stansted)
Monday, 25 Jan 2016
10:30 - 11:35
1 Adult, 59.99 GBP
1 x Adult Fare

You would even get a good half day's ski on the Friday going somewhere like Zell am See on the train from Salzburg
snow report
@tccambs, 2 days off work for 2 maybe 2.5 days skiing? Evening flights are always much better for weekend trips.
snow conditions
I got the impression from the airports listed (Mancs, brum or london) that the OP probably wasn't planning to dash to the airport after work. It's just another option for him!
ski holidays
@On the rocks, ta, will check them out - just need to make sure I can get a train back to Manc when I land, or I'm screwed for work on Monday...!
ski holidays
@fixx, public transport may be difficult getting back from Liverpool airport late at night; better to park a car there if you can
ski holidays
Don't have a car - I'm a city centre girl Smile
snow report
Quote:

You would even get a good half day's ski on the Friday going somewhere like Zell am See on the train from Salzburg

Train takes too long and you waste time getting into the city from the airport. Rent a car and you can drive to Bad Gastein or Lofer in an hour, so you could be there by 11.00. Drive another 30 mins and you can easily reach Saalbach, Zell am See, Maria Alm, Leogang before 12.00. Alternatively, jump on a Holiday Shuttle shared taxi service.
snow report
Wow thanks everyone

@tccambs, I don't mind taking the Fri and Monday off - I work for myself so holidays aren't a problem. 2 Full days skiing min is what I'm looking for, but if I can get that and only stay the fri, and sat night even better Happy

Cham sprung to mind straight away, but how busy does it get at weekend?

Switz and Austria also came to mind, but not knowing them well at all (only time I've been to Austria was on a school trip!) I want sure of the best option
snow conditions
PaulC1984, I am also self employed. the most efficient use of time for me has been to fly out late Thursday and get 4 full days skiing Fri / Sat / Sun / Mon and fly back late Monday. I've done that at several resorts over the years depending on where I could get flights to. A couple of hours in a hire car from Milan / Bergamo / Turin / Pau / etc etc etc gives a huge choice of resorts including some less well used resorts
ski holidays
@fixx, no worries, taxi to Liverpool Lime street, train to Manchester 22:15 and 23:15
snow report
JohnHSmith wrote:
PaulC1984, I am also self employed. the most efficient use of time for me has been to fly out late Thursday and get 4 full days skiing Fri / Sat / Sun / Mon and fly back late Monday. I've done that at several resorts over the years depending on where I could get flights to. A couple of hours in a hire car from Milan / Bergamo / Turin / Pau / etc etc etc gives a huge choice of resorts including some less well used resorts

OO thats an idea. Im trying to limit it a little, not due to work but to keep the nagging level from the wife to a minimum Happy

Also plan (snow gods depending) to get a weekend or 2 with the little one and wife in scotland at some point over the winter (he's only 3 so pottering around!!)
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, Liverpool/manc to geneva then you can easily get to Cham, Flaine etc..... Check out http://www.skiweekender.com Another option is Ryanair to milan bergamo hire car and take your pick of lots of resorts in the area. I'm going to do a March weekend too but not sure where yet!!!!!
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, Forgot to add Saturday's in French resorts will be relatively quiet as its changeover day and only the locals will be out playing Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PaulC1984, there's always the overnight coach option to the 3V with someone like skiweekends.com . I recognise that overnight coaches are a bit marmite though.

If you want to fly, best to pick airports with plenty of flights. Geneva fits the bill well but is so obvious that weekend prices can be expensive. Milan is often cheapest. Munich to Soll is supposedly only 75mins, another option would be Nice/Isola 2000 (about 90 mins) - Nice is cheap to fly to and usually well served.
latest report
Matrski wrote:
@PaulC1984, Forgot to add Saturday's in French resorts will be relatively quiet as its changeover day and only the locals will be out playing Very Happy

Cheers matey. Are you off the S13BB this year btw?
latest report
@PaulC1984, Chamonix.....bookings.com and Alpybus
snow report
@PaulC1984, Yeah, only doing the main week though as I'm going to do another week somewhere else though not sure where yet. Flights from Manc are all booked just waiting for the buttons Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Annoyingly easyjet do a 9pm sunday evening flight from Geneva to Manc over the summer, but not the winter

Easyjey run a flight from GVA to Man at 21.40 arriving at 22.40. Well they better had as that is the one I am booked on in January.

Hopefully going to end up in La Clusaz for the first time snow depending. Have accommodation booked through booking.com that can be cancelled up to 15 december for free so will hopefully have an idea how the season is shaping up by then
ski holidays
cham08 wrote:
Quote:

Annoyingly easyjet do a 9pm sunday evening flight from Geneva to Manc over the summer, but not the winter

Easyjey run a flight from GVA to Man at 21.40 arriving at 22.40. Well they better had as that is the one I am booked on in January.

Indeed, i just spotted that flight option yesterday! No idea why i couldn't find it before, i did look... Makes weekends back in Cham with friends much easier Smile
latest report
I'd go to Chamonix on this kind of timescale. 1 hour transfer to minimise travel time and three major ski areas which all offer something a bit different, spend day one up Brevent/Flegere, day 2 you could do Grand Montets AND Le Tour. I find Chamonix a bit disjointed for a whole week, too much time spent between ski areas, but for a 2/3 day break it's ideal.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy