Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis (and boards) - new or 2nd hand? How much do you spend?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm bored waiting for the real snow, and window shopping...

So out of interest, how many people buy new skis, and how many buy second hand? I've seen lots of reports of bargains on ebay (though I've never found any), and a good trade on here on the forum (I have occasionally been tempted!) but so far I've always bought my skis new. And sometimes for fair chunks of money!

I'm looking at another new pair, and just wondering if I do spend too much in general on skiing Smile

The skis I've bought in the past:
Scott Luna, with bindings: New, £600 in total, though that was in Switzerland, and was as a season rental (brand new) with the rest paid at the end of the season to keep them. In hindsight - I've seen better deals, but have no regrets! They've done 3 seasons and I still love them.
Down CD6, Marker Squire bindings bought separately: New, @£270 for the skis I think (pre season sale, local swiss price), plus £90ish for the bindings and fitting. Very happy with the price, and the kit Smile

I'm considering another pair @£400 new (not available used), plus new touring (pin) bindings on top. So it starts getting expensive again Little Angel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@fixx, i haven't paid full price for kit in many years so I'm not a good influence.

In recent years I have acquired several pairs of sometimes quite ridiculous race skis either thru the defunct skizog or the Cham or Sallanches bourses aux skis. E.g. A pair of very genuine world cup GS boards, almost if not completely unused, with bindings for €120.

Mid summer many places get rid of excess stock, so our Mantras were €450 new with choice of bindings.

November (a few years ago) our detested Ripnwuds were the same price. And will be going on eBay when I get round to it.

And we get "club" rates from a chum as he's a distant cousin, so about 50% discount.

Generally, you'll find good prices on last year's stuff or even two years ago at the pre season. Skis anyway. Bindings don't really change too much.

Or get out to the Cham bourse but get an hour before opening as there will be a queue...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I budget £600 a year and see what I can get. Sometimes skis, sometimes other stuff/gadgets/luggage etc.

£450 depending on how the CHF is feeling is about the rental cost of my trips each year if I didn't own my own kit, and I can sell some old stuff to make it relatively cost neutral.

I usually buy new but last years skis are just fine by me, same with clothing. Boots are whatever CEM says, but now I'm in some properly fitted ones I hope to get a good few more years without swapping those yet.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Imo the best is new bougth off season. Was scaning ekosport.fr but did not pull the trigger (my 15-16 season is under big question mark) but there were some really good deals couple of weeks ago, I did not check recently though
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@lampygirl, you ought to get around 120 days out of a liner, much more from a shell.

So that's 10 years at 2 weeks a year, or thereabouts.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My first two pairs of skis were bought full price in Switzerland and they were quite expensive given that they were entry level/intermediate skis, since then I have learned the joy of Internet shopping and were using Sport Conrad and also Sierra Trading Post where it's possible to buy new skis with huge discounts, learned about end of season sales in ski resorts, general sales in shops like Manor (my Head Magnums that I bought in February 2014 were 600CHF - much cheaper than my beginner skis), and discovered the Ski Service Outlet in Martigny. Even my DPS with Pivots or Powd'Airs with skins and Radicals cost me less than my beginner skis. I currently own/use four pairs and generally covered on all fronts -- piste carving, touring, general all-mountain and powder. I might change my all-mountain skis for something stiffer and better in crud or just add a pair to the quiver since my current ones are great in moguls but it's not a priority and I won't be rushing. Probably will wait till the end of next season or at least till January sales or even postpone it again till the season after Smile I usually sell my retired skis via public facebook groups. It's fast and efficient with a buyer pick-up.

I am debating if I should replace my alpine boots, they have about 250 days in them and definitely have seen better days, shells are battered and I already replaced two buckles, but I had more material injected in ZipFits in the beginning of last season so they still fit and ski well… On boots I spare no expenses and don't have a set budget, good proper fit is priceless in my opinion, whatever the price might be I will suck it up and pay.

Basically price is relative to how much use you get out of your stuff. 500 pound for a jacket that will be worn 10 days a year is too much, but not much at all for a jacket that is worn 70 days a year. I try to ski a lot so it's all being used a lot, so per day of use the price of my ski clothing is not too high. But even the cheapest stuff is till too expensive when it's never used. I try to buy on sales if I am lucky to find my size in colours that I like, but will pay a full price if it's something I need and like because I know I will use it a lot.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't buy 2nd hand hardwear. I live in The Netherlands, and most interesting gear is sold from outside Holland. So since I have no idea how the stuff is treated, and since it would take a short vacation to go and see the stuff myself, I just don't do it.

For skis plus bindings, I have never spent more than € 450 a pair. End of season, last year's models... that sort of thing will get you unused gear for no so much. Online shops such as sport-conrad.com, sport-bittl.de, xspo.de, snow-how.de, telemark-pyrenees.com, snowinn.com all are Euope-based (and therefore have to follow the same European laws etc.).

There are two very active ski forums here in Holland. If stuff is ofered there, it's worth taking a look since most places are never more than an hour rive form my house or my work. So if it is a realy interesting deal, I might be tempted. It only happend with ski socks so faar, though...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy