Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North Face Base Camp Duffel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Does anyone have the aforementioned duffel bag? Are they any good?

Im sick to death of trying to drag my roller bag and ski tube through the snow and around the airport and love the feature that the duffel can be carried on your back.

2 Questions:

1) Are the back pack straps super strong
2) Will the XL fit my lipstick, thong and all other ski gear, helmet etc in for 2 week (Im guessing the answer is yes at 155L!)

Cheers muchly
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got one. Much better than cheaper duffels's I've had previously. The main advantage for me is the light weight which allows me to take more useful stuff in my baggage allowance.
The shoulder straps are very strong but I haven't used them in anger as I normally put it on a luggage cart and carry my skiing ABS backpack on my back - but if I wanted to I guess I could wear the ABS on my front
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got the 90l one and am pretty sure it is as robust as it looks. I'll be using it in earnest for the first time in just over 6 weeks when I fly out to Greece for a 2 week sailing trip. I have had duffel bag envy ever since I helped carry one for another snowHead who packs way more stuff for a week than I do for a fortnight or so! wink I used the backpack straps to carry it up 4 stories and it sat well and was very comfortable.

I'm sure holidayloverxx will be along soon to give you the benefit of her experience over several seasons of using 2 of them. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have use TNF Duffel for a few years now to maximise luggage allowance on sleezyjet etc. Never used the straps (removed them from the outset) but can confirm the duffel is very strong. Do keep in mind that despite strength the duffel has no padding or protection whatsoever so care must be taken. That said, we have never had a problem.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another happy owner of the 90l. Word of warning on the bigger ones though - very easy to overfill them and sail past the max weight limit for flights or your own capacity to carry them easily - I've had that before with other big packs.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers all - I see your point rich - perhaps ill stick to the large sixe. (I always travel BA and get the 32Kg so 'should' be ok)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have one of the smaller hand-luggage size ones as a replacement for a much loved (and very cheap) bag which finally broke.

So far so good - I like the combination of the rucksack straps and also the wide duffel D opening
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For my ski trips I use my trusted scuba diving bag, and can thoroughly recommend it.
It's a Scubapro Porter Bag and at 130L it's absolutely humongous! It has wheels AND shoulder straps (which neatly tuck away), so you can both pull it over a hard surface, or carry it over snow.

The bag is very light for its size at 3.5 kg, but it is frameless. It works slightly better for scuba diving as it has side pockets which normally give the bag its rigidity when scuba fins are placed in there.
But if you stuff the bag with bulky yet lightweight items, such as ski jacket & pants, it will keep its shape easily.

The advantage of being frameless is that the bag has a feature which enables it to fold in on itself - ideal when you are staying in a confined space.

Here's a demo video, you might like it as well - I love it:

http://youtube.com/v/-oPjgUrQqMA
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've had the biggest one (I think) since 2008 and it's still going strong after a lot of use - think I paid around £40 in a sale for it.

It's been used to lug around singing wet kayaking and ski regularly (weekly while at uni) with no issues. Can fit a stupid amount of stuff in it and still be below airline weight limits.

Only issue is that after some dumb packing one of my ski boot buckles eventually wore a small hole through the bottom. Little bit of duck tape and more intelligent packing and no further problems 3 years later.

Recommended. Also look at the Mountain Equipment ones that Cotswold Outdoors seem to have on perpetual sale. Seem basically the same, but sometimes with a dry bag built in to separate wet/dry gear.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was in the same situation last year went for the Arcteryx 100L holdall and it's great, it weighs nothing I've had it loaded right up and it's comfortable to carry and several trips later it's in perfect condition.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have had a L one for a couple of years now and am very happy with it, having bought it because my backpack was tired and I wanted something with shoulder straps for the same reason as you. I carry my helmet, boots and sufficient clothing for up to 2weeks in it without a problem ( though do need to do a little trample washing of the thongs, leopard skin onesie etc)
Though I've not carried more than about 20kg in it, the straps have coped perfectly ( more than can be said for me !) and it shows little sign of wear despite some abuse. I'd thoroughly recommend it, particularly if you can pick one up in a sale. There are quite a number of cheaper lookalikes out there which might be worth investigating.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've not got TNF version, i do however have a Mountain Equipment version, which I've been using fore around 10 years (three ski trips a year, and one or two summer trips). I find it brilliant, and prefer to use it when ever i can. Its tough, light, holds the 100 litres or so that i need. and is actually easier to handle than something on wheels. The shoulder straps are strong and comfortable even fully laden.
TNF quality is generally very high, so i would expect one of their duffles to be as good if not better.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all

Took the plunge last night and took a visit to TNF in mans. Managed to get the XL for £72 so pleased as punch. 155 Litres will be too much but sadly the large was a touch too small. They sold me the XL for cheaper than the L as they can't shift the XL's as they are the size of a body bag Happy. Loaded all of my stuff into it today (its August now, so we are practically at the start of the season right?!) and its easy enough to wear as a backpack. Its going to be so much easier that dragging my wheely bag onside and double ski tube the other. All I need to do know is remind BA that their STUPID zig zag queues are not funny when dragging all this kit around Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy