Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year's Eve UCPA ski bash - want to join me?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm female, 30s, sort of advanced skier (I should own that really, shouldn't I? But everyone has a different definition of "advanced". Ok, only men.) Looking for ski buddies New Year's Eve week. If you've ever been to a Snowhead bash you'll have had the pleasure of being in the presence of my piercing laugh.. Embarassed

Just saying rolling eyes you may not want to read further..

Where?

I'm deciding between:

Val Thorens (newly kitted out, fully ski in-ski out, 4 room share ensuite)
https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/resorts/winter/val-thorens/resort

Val d'Isere (oldest UCPA, not quite ski-in or out with shared hallway toilets)
https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/resorts/winter/val-d'isere

UCPA provides a cheap package of full board accommodation, ski lessons/guiding for all levels, lift pass and equipment. This is particularly good value for money New Year's eve week. Skis are good quality and I'll super appreciate not needing to lug my skis this once! Very Happy Both have vibrant après and nightlife, Val d'Isere has by far the better skiing even if the accommodation looks to be lacking. Food at the UCPAs in La Plagne and Serre Chevalier has been spectacular the past 2 years and you can even make your own lunch to take with you if you don't want to come back to the centre every day.

When?

Sat 26 Dec 2015 - Sat 2 Jan 2016

OR:

Sun 27 Dec 2015 - Sun 3 Jan 2016

How much?

Paid £600 all in plus flights to La Plagne in 2013 and £700 all in plus flights to Serre Chevalier last year. That's for airport transfers, accommodation with all the food you can eat, lift pass, lessons/guiding, skis, boots, poles and helmet. A decent discount is to be had for a group of 15 or more. They'll be available to book from 17th August and come with transfers from Geneva and Grenoble/Chambery. BA, Swiss Air and Lufthansa flights to Geneva are currently £257 - £280. Easyjet to Geneva is £215 with a check in bag.

Age restrictions

UCPA is a French not for profit organisation set up more than 50 years ago to encourage young people into outdoor sports and to make the top resorts and quality coaching more accessible and affordable. In keeping with that, UCPA restrict their holidays to 18-39 year olds but there are exemptions. They have extended to 45 for those who have been before and those 45-49 need to get special permission but have been allowed in the past.

Message me if you're interested!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@lily79, I've got a few talking about doing that week, interested in carsharing down there? Would probably work out cheaper than driving with 3 or 4 in the car, and loads of room for gear. Given the time of year expecting that to be cheaper way of getting there even with ferry/tunnel cost, but might be going on to another week which will inevitably start 2nd Jan if my legs are up to it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mistress Panda, Sounds like fun! Only, as a central Londoner I don't have a driving license - never needed it - so not sure how much use I'd be.. I'm also short on leave so wouldn't be able to take an extra day for travelling. According to Google maps it's 11.5 hours to VT in this good weather so might be at least an extra hour with snow/in winter conditions? Where would you spend a second week? I need to check if I can get an extra week off because if I join you, I'd need to return with you as a single flight costs as much as a return.

Do you have snow tires? Couple of years ago in La Plagne the police were stopping everyone and last year a group of Belgians were let off the fine but had to get their tires changed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PRICES ARE UP:

£642 Val d'Isere
£621 Val Thorens

Includes:

6.5 Days Lift Pass
6.5 Days Skis, Boots, Poles or Board, Boots
Instruction
7 Nights Accommodation
Full Board
Evening Entertainment

Dates: 26/12/15 - 02/01/16

You can add transfers from Geneva or Grenoble for £80 return.

VT is cheaper and nicer digs, that's a tough decision then.. Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its likely whether you choose Chamonix Val D or Val T there will be a large english speaking contingent.

We have a group heading to Val T for Christmas and New Years, perhaps we'll get to say hi - especially since I am travelling with snowboarders Sad

One thing to be aware of is that the standard UCPA ski pass is not a full 6.5 days of 3V (only 3 days? - someone correct me if this is wrong)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kioksor, Happy to meet up! Friend and I plan to sign up for the half time instruction only. We've already booked our flights as prices are getting increasingly ridiculous, perhaps because the 26th is a holiday. We arrive and leave Saturday, giving us 6 days of skiing and never had problems with the lift pass in previous years doing the same. I find it too stressy getting that extra half day of skiing in, returning equipment, potentially moving rooms, packing up wet and sweaty stuff.. Prefer to go on more ski trips instead.. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

One thing to be aware of is that the standard UCPA ski pass is not a full 6.5 days of 3V

I think it depends what course you book - check out the Action Outdoors website and it tells you what ski pass in inc for each course at Val T. I Ranges form no 3V days at all, to some, to all (one course I think).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Action Outdoors site says the VT package comes with a 6.5 days lift pass, guess I'm wasting that half a day..

So, £621 includes:
    6.5 Days Lift Pass
    6.5 Days Skis, Boots, Poles or Board, Boots
    Instruction
    7 Nights Accommodation
    Full Board
    Evening Entertainment
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can ski for half day on your last Saturday as that's when you need to hand back hire skis but if you have your own skis you can ski all day so technically it's a 7 day pass but 6.5 hire of kit.
Val t is very nice Ucpa all new accommodation but it's 2 rooms of 4 sharing an toilet and each room of 4 has shower in room.
Also Val t is ski in ski out but it's well down the hill from the main resort a good 30 mins walk uphill if you want to go to bars and clubs. I've never been to the one in Val disere so cans advise there
If booking with action outdoors try discount codes SP2015 or DLC2015 to get £10 off
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi - are you still looking for people to buddy up? I'm a 29 y/o teacher, the dates work amazingly and it seems like a steal Happy.
Ian
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hello Ian, the more the merrier! So far it's just me and my friend, Ali so we're looking for 2 more girls to make a room of 4 BUT, equally happy to leave it to fate and share with 2 strangers. Although I'm sure between now and season onset we'll get more interest. Your choice then is to be in a room with 3 male strangers, or if you know of a guy you can persuade to join you, or 3, you'll be sorted. Bring the earplugs either way..! As soon as I've booked I'll be happy to share the link if you pm me your email address. That way we'll count as a group and be put together - along with any others interested in joining us later on. If you're fairly certain you'd like to come to VT I wouldn't wait to book flights, prices are already climbing. Ali and I have already booked our flights to Geneva, arriving 26th Dec and leaving 2nd Jan. From past experience I'd advise arriving early (late morning/early afternoon) as with heavy snow the early flights always seem to make it through Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Also Val t is ski in ski out but it's well down the hill from the main resort a good 30 mins walk uphill if you want to go to bars and clubs.

Yeah - better to stop off for Apres post skiing and then ski back home in time for dinner and then shower and just chill in the centre bar. I never fancied the night-time walk up hill to the bars.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi lily79,

Looking to book my first solo ski hol through UCPA myself, although was looking at the following week (02/01/15). However I might be flexible on dates. Just doing the research on flights etc before the bookings open on the 26th Aug.

I've done Val D for New Years before - it was great, but quite keen on Val T as I haven't been to 3 Valleys before. I'm female, 36, boarder, looking to book the full time tuition package as I haven't been for a number of years, plus I'm travelling on my own and do not want to board on my own.

Have you and Ali decided on which resort you're opting for yet? Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Becca,
We decided on Val Thorens, mostly due to newer, nicer UCPA and because Ali and I skied Tignes-Val d'Isere earlier this year. So we've already booked our flights to Geneva, arriving 26/12 and leaving 02/01. You are most welcome to be no. 3 in our room of 4 ..! PM me your email address if you decide to join us and want me to send you the booking link next week.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hey Lily. I will get back to you as soon as I know if work will allow me the xmas/new year week off. They were going to advise us next month, but I'll see if they can let me know a little earlier.
Just a quick question though - have you used UCPA/Action Outdoors before? Initial reviews and feedback look really good, but just curious.
ski holidays
Quote:

UCPA provides a cheap package of full board accommodation, ski lessons/guiding for all levels, lift pass and equipment. This is particularly good value for money New Year's eve week. Skis are good quality and I'll super appreciate not needing to lug my skis this once! Both have vibrant après and nightlife, Val d'Isere has by far the better skiing even if the accommodation looks to be lacking. Food at the UCPAs in La Plagne and Serre Chevalier has been spectacular the past 2 years and you can even make your own lunch to take with you if you don't want to come back to the centre every day.

@Becca yep, in my initial post I mentioned La Plagne and Serre Chevalier. Been New Year's eve week the past two years with action outdoors and been very impressed. La Plagne had crap instruction but high standard accommodation, Serre Chevalier was the other way around so it's give and take.
snow report
Lily - just spoke to my boss, who won't give me a definitive answer until the other managers are back from hols, which is 1st Sept. I'm gonna have to get back to you in 2 weeks Sad
latest report
Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I are just looking at UCPA (went to Val D 2 years ago for xmas and couldn't fault it) Thinking of VT this year. Would be good to have a base of people from here to play in the snow and have a drink with, I'm 36 and an intermediate skier, Jodi's 33 and same level boarder.......Well I'd obviously say not quite as good as me Wink

We're hoping to book a 2 person room so not looking for roomies but it would be good to catch up with anyone from the forum when we're out there.

Barry
ski holidays
Booking is now live!

Anyone wishing to join us can do so by going to: www.action-outdoors.co.uk/holiday/cart?GroupRef=fea45e56

snowHead
ski holidays
Hey girls - was just sitting thinking about ski holidays and whether i could get a wee trip in late December/ or new year and came across this post! Must be fate (or so I'll justify it that way!)

I would be really interested in this option if you still have space for one more? I am 30 (31 by new year). Would probably class myself as an advanced intermediate (if thats a category!) and always looking to push myself on!
Lorna
snow report
@lel4237,
You are very welcome, Lorna! I've since gone all tech and created a couple of meetup pages with details, photos and even a video. You can sign up here: http://www.meetup.com/GO-London/events/224906978/

We'd love to have you!
snow report
Quote:

You can sign up here: http://www.meetup.com/GO-London/events/224906978/

We're booked in for Christmas and New Years so will see you there!

Good effort with the meetup page. Might be worth a note to the effect that the meetup is only to meet people and its self organised via action outdoors (the booking agent)
snow report
Go London (the meetup page) is my regular hiking group and I know most of the people. I created the page to share it with them.

Lucky you, Christmas AND New Years! I'm afraid you'll have to come find me as without you being on the group booking or meetup page I won't know who you are! We'll be there from the 26th, you can let us know the lay of the land when we get there.. wink
latest report
This should make it easier, I have RSVP'd

Although my snow gear has changed since that photo was taken!
snow conditions
Thank you @kioksor! Will keep an eye out, we can also message each other via meetup comments and arrange to meet. I imagine there'll be quite a large group of us by then. You can post photos on the meetup page - or even here - when you're there, all snow pics welcome! snowHead In any case, my snow gear will be identical so I should be easy to spot in all that pink..
snow report
Where's the sneckin' OAP option Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Quote:

Age restrictions

UCPA is a French not for profit organisation set up more than 50 years ago to encourage young people into outdoor sports and to make the top resorts and quality coaching more accessible and affordable. In keeping with that, UCPA restrict their holidays to 18-39 year olds but there are exemptions. They have extended to 45 for those who have been before and those 45-49 need to get special permission but have been allowed in the past.

Sorry @Masque, no OAP option!
snow report
They have weeks for oldies now too! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very Happy Not feeling so old now "Up to 45 years
The UCPA has recently extended the upper age limit to 45 year old. If it is your first time travelling with UCPA it is encouraged that you read about UCPA before making your booking. The UCPA is very unique in what they offer and although the accommodation is very comfortable and sociable it is a budget option and not everyone's cup of tea. If you like the sound of the UCPA and are aged 18-45 you are free to book any UCPA package advertised on our website. "

I could be in Happy
ski holidays
Bad news ladies. I managed to get the time off work, but I just can't seem to get around the flight situation. As you mentioned above, prices for the Xmas/New Year week are going through the roof. Cheapest I managed to find worked out at about £300, so not sure I can realistically afford it.

It's a shame. New Years plans for VT look great : http://www.valthonet.com/events/calendar/val-tho-crazy-night

Sad Confused Mad
ski holidays
Quote:

Bad news ladies. I managed to get the time off work, but I just can't seem to get around the flight situation. As you mentioned above, prices for the Xmas/New Year week are going through the roof. Cheapest I managed to find worked out at about £300, so not sure I can realistically afford it.

Action outoors usually offers an overnight bus from London if that works for you? Eliminates the need to pay for a transfer from the airport too
snow conditions
Quote:

Action outoors usually offers an overnight bus from London if that works for you? Eliminates the need to pay for a transfer from the airport too

Nice idea, but I wasn't sure if they were running one on that weekend, as it would mean picking up/leaving London on Christmas Day evening to arrive there on 26th. I live down in Plymouth, which would mean that Christmas Day would be out the window, as it would take me the best part of the day to travel up there in the car or train (if any are actually running that day). Sad
ski holidays
@Becca, there is still space in the car, driving down on 26th. Would mean finding a flight or train back but it is possible. Just get a late train or drive up late Xmas day.
ski holidays
Hi @Mistress Panda, I did see your separate topic in reference to your drive down.

Due to my plans for Xmas Day, I knew that my only realistic chance of going on this trip was to fly out from somewhere local (ie Exeter or Bristol) on Boxing Day. Bristol is cheap, but still 3 hours away from me, but I knew that I could make it at a push.

I'm afraid that without the aid of a bullet train your option won't be possible in my case. Really appreciate the heads up though.

Have you booked to stay at UCPA too, or are you staying elsewhere in VT?
ski holidays
@Becca, staying at UCPA. If you can find another airport on the route happy to pick you up on the way if there is a better option from Exeter or Bristol to central/south east France - assume you are looking at Geneva flights?
snow report
Geneva, Grenoble, Lyon, Turin.......all flights pre-NY have gone sky high, as I even considered losing a day and flying out on 27th. It's quite frustrating when I can see flights for the following week for a third of the price, and cheaper again for the week after that.

Considering cutting my losses for NY week, and maybe booking to go out week commencing 2nd Jan, or maybe the week after. Never done it completely on my own before though. Very daunted. Can't speak a word of French, so it would have been nice to go knowing there was definitely some english girls for me to meet up with, and possible room share with. Plus with Sunday being a free day with no tuition, it would be nice to know I wouldn't be boarding completely on my own. Not quite sure what to do next. Puzzled
snow conditions
I might be up for this. Is it all chicks at this stage or are there other guys who may be interested??
ski holidays
Quote:

It's quite frustrating when I can see flights for the following week for a third of the price, and cheaper again for the week after that.

Yeah, annoying but obviously you understand its because 99.9% of the European world has the Christmas/MNY time off work and school and uni, and then they are all back at work in January!

Quote:

Never done it completely on my own before though. Very daunted. Can't speak a word of French, so it would have been nice to go knowing there was definitely some english girls for me to meet up with, and possible room share with. Plus with Sunday being a free day with no tuition, it would be nice to know I wouldn't be boarding completely on my own. Not quite sure what to do next.

Ok, if I were as nervous as you sound, I would call AO and speak to them on the phone. Explain you are nervous about traveling on your own and not speaking French. Ask them which centres they have taken solo female bookings for the Jan week you want to go. Or just any bookings I guess. Ask if they have booked transfers too, and what time - then you can try and match your flight time to the other English people who have booked with AO.

Seriously though, even if you are the only English girl traveling on your own in the whole centre, you won't be on your own. You might have to board Sunday on your own if you are very unlucky, but I would expect that you would either agree to board with your roomies, or spend time in the restaurant and bar on Saturday evening 'networking' and find some people (maybe people actually in your instructor group) who you can board with Sunday.

I actually quite like a little blast around on Sunday on my own, but think in all my UCPA holidays I have only done this once. Other times I have buddies up with roomies or people on the transfer minibus or my group.

Maybe think about booking one of the centres that you go back to at lunch to increase the amount of chances of bumping into people and eating together and stuff.

Be brave, smile, plonk yourself down with people at dinner or in the bar and you will make friends. Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi
Great effort with the page Lily
Yeah I'm still up for going horgand, male, 29 advance \intermediate skier (definitely a real category)
Really slow response apologies Lily, teaching first few weeks back have been mental
Am looking into group now. Flexible on when, where and I have from 13th off Happy
Hoping to book asap
Ian
ski holidays
Hi all,

I just booked myself on the Val T trip for the new years week.

I had the same problem as Becca with ridiculously expensive flights so I'm getting the overnight coach from London. Due to the timing of Christmas on a Friday the coach leaves on the Saturday instead so we get into resort early on Sunday morning - perfectly rested for the first day of skiing Very Happy

Male, 26, Advanced skier (I hope that's still the case anyway, it's been a couple of years since I was last on the slopes...). I booked the full-time instruction since I'm going alone, didn't think I'd find anyone else going until I turned up!

I hope to see you all there! Anyone who wants to join me on the overnight coach please do Smile It would be good to have some friends from the coach on the first day as I expect most of the people who arrived on the Saturday will have hit the slopes already by the time we're ready to go!

Dave
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy