Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot upgrade

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Am thinking about getting some new boots while the summer sales are on.

My current ski boots have a flex of 70 which I think, but am not totally convinced, is too low. I'm female, weight 8 stone and am 5'5''. I'm an intermediate skier; blues, reds, black and like the non groomed stuff and hope to continue to improve. My shins feel a bit battered after I've been skiing choppy snow for a while.

Any thoughts on what I need to look for in terms of flex? Or are my current boots ok and I'm just trying to convince myself I need something stiffer?! Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Make an appointment to see a proper bootfitter and let them fit you with boots. Flex rating does vary between brands, so don't worry too much about the numbers. A fitter will take into account all that you've said, so be honest. It's probable that your new boots will feel too tight to begin with, this is normal. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would agree, probably time to move up a notch on the boots.
Always good to ensure that the boot fitter knows what he is doing, most of the reputable stores carry qualified staff who can help.

A great tie to buy boots - off season. Gives the fitter time to focus on you.

Most of the reputable stores have a good selection available, I'm sure you'll find a great boot.

My daughter got her last boots, off season in 2013. Despite being out of season S&R still moved stock from on store to another for her to try in the local branch.
I think its only off season where S&R really come into their own, main season pricing is obscenely high.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've always thought that stiff boots were important where you want to be able to apply a lot of dynamic pressure on the front of the ski (for example carving at speed / high speed short turns / rapid change of direction, etc) but for skiing the light powdery stuff where you're maybe letting the skis do the work and you're staying with them then a less stiff boot might be better.

Of course I could well be talking nonsense and I'm sure my descriptions aren't great but I just thought I'd maybe add to the debate that a ski boot upgrade doesn't necessarily mean stiffer boots.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Has to me a 'happy medium' if you want them to do everything. Flex really would be dependant upon body mass, experience, technique, strength, I believe

Oh, and colour is really important, I like red or orange.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbunny wrote:
Flex rating does vary between brands, so don't worry too much about the numbers. Very Happy

Make sure you find the brand with comfy 150 Flex, so you look cool, but are not hobbled.

Obviously big graphics are the most important part of flex ratings.

This is not a joke.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very Happy

I'm hoping not to end up with a white pair but as many ladies boots seem to be There's a high chance I will - who thinks ladies like white and pastel things?!

Planning on going to Ellis Brigham at Breahead this weekend so whatever I get I can test out on the slope . Had a quick look the other day and there seems to be a good choice, and a lot half price too Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Make sure that you get someone who knows how to fit ski boots though. I was fitted at their MK store by a snowboarder and they did take their time and seemed to say the right things but they turned out to be totally wrong for my feet. They felt okay to start with but as they bedded in it became obvious that they weren't right but I carried on as I don't like to blame the tools. Went back a few weeks ago to look at the boots in the sale and had my own boots with me. The guy that I saw told me everything that I would be feeling because of them not being the right fit and he was right so I've ended up buying a new pair which make the world of difference. I've stayed with the same flex (80) but a different boot and am very happy so far.

I agree re the colours, I'm sick of sports equipment aimed at females being white and pastels, I hate 'feminine' colours, I want strong blues, blacks and reds. I know that it doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things but it would be nice to have a choice for a change.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have punter race boots (unisex, i have very narrow feet) that are white. Before that I had women's boots in a 75 flex (too wide and too soft it turned out) and they were black.

Try not to be prejudiced against colour, just use it as an excuse to buy new salopettes and skis to match...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@lampygirl, don't worry I've learnt my lesson over the years with climbing shoes and walking boots, i'll be going with best fit option no matter what they look like.

@MayaL, yes who gets to decide the colour for ladies stuff, it's not just ski stuff but all outdoor clothing and equipment. I'm yet to meet a female who likes whites and pastels 😀
Will try and make sure get suitably qualified boot fitter
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I like white ski boots but I think my current ones are gray? Obviously the fact that I can not remember demonstrates how unimportant the colour is to me lol But I do hate pastel jackets and salopettes as they show every mark. I currently have mens salopettes as I find them a better fit with convenient pockets, and they are navy!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yay got some boots yesterday- and ones in the sale too at half price Smile

The boot fitter at EB Braehead was really good. Just needed a small adjustment to one of my footbeds and the boots are really comfortable- we they were for an hour on the indoor slope! I'll have to wait until ski season until they get tested out properly. Don't see me having any issues but sounds like there's lots of things they can do if I do down the line.

And most importantly of course they only have a bit of white on them! Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colour, brand, flex, will all go out of the window when you see a proper boot fitter.

My first set of race boots I wanted Lange - mainly because all the other kids had them and I love blue (for anyone thats seen me on a bash youll know what i mean Happy )

Then I went to go and see Colin and he put me in a lovely Rossi Radical Orange and White boot - fantastic, i felt a tit, but wow were they a great fitting boot. I learnt very quickly that Colin is God and his word is final. Last year I went for another set of boots, and came out with a bright yellow set of Rossi Alltracks for the mountain and yet again they are perfect..

Moral of the story, fashion goes out of the window with boots - just sit down and do as your told Happy

(PS you can add stickers afterwards - stickers are very important Happy )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@olderscot, Yup, I ski off piste with two boots with very different flex ratings (one race, one touring), really I need a third pair LOL Laughing But off piste too stiff a boot does cause problems. Conversely, skiing a 120mm fat ski with a boot of 85 - 90 flex means you have to develop a very light touch. Fit means everything though, I would rather have a perfectly fitted boot rather than one matched to the conditions but lacking in the fit department.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy