Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ladies World Cup 20-21 february - la Thuile. Will it be busy for a family just starting out?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi, I have posted a couple of questions on snowheads, trying to gather info.for,our ski holiday next. Feb 2016. To summarise.. . We have booked flights to geneva 19 feb 2016. Family with two kids age 9 and 6 just learning to ski plus rusty parents! This week coincides with paris half term . . So unsure whether to risk french resorts or head over to italy. Had narrowed decision to la thuile as can get Aosta transfer bus direct from geneva, nice and easy.

Just looking at la thuile website and notice it's ladies World Cup downhill that weekend 20-21 feb. we wanted to get couple of private lessons for our boys that weekend ( before ski school stars on Monday ) and obviously all of us ski that weekend . . Anyone know if we will be facing lots of crowds due to the ladies downhill? I am all for a bit of atmosphere but don't want to drive all the way from geneva avoiding busy french resorts if we are going to have our first couple of days in la thuile also super busy!

Has anyone got experience of what we could expect. Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at this thread, @Hils68 - a pretty comprehensive discussion about someone else who booked flights in the Paris holidays. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2738332&highlight=pila#2738332
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you for link, that was me posting that other query! The never ending ski holiday search (cannot believe I am still researching!) I had kinda decided on la thuile as its an easier transfer that doesn't involve us having to hire a car., which we would have to do if going to Pila. I just noticed it's hosting the woman's World Cup down hill skiing the weekend we are there and wondered if it would make the pistes much busier that weekend ? It doesn't matter too much as we will be there for week, but if anyone knows what it will be like it's always useful to know.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It won't make the pistes much busier, but the World Cup piste(s) will be cordened off and a section also reserved for the racers to train/warm up on. It will be a fabulous opportunity for your family to experience. The racers are very approachable and you can get a lot of photo opportunities as well as autographs if you are there. The evening before a race where the number draw takes place is a fun event too. During the race days themselves there will be more pedestrian traffic but that is it! I go to a lot of World Cup races whenever I can and I have never had a problem with skiing at the same resorts. OK some of my favourite pistes are maybe a wee bit narrower or completely closed off but it is a maximum of of 3/4 days including the race days for speed events and no more than a day for technical ones as the racers are not allowed to train on the courses.

Getting to the resorts on race days can be a bugger though, especially in Austrian resorts or for any of the Men's speed events! Ladies technical events tend not to be quite so full on in terms of crowds, especially in Italy and France. Cortina d'Ampezzo for example is a nightmare to get around and up to the Tofana pistes simply due to the chaotic logistics! however, if Marta Bassino fulfills her potential, the Italians could be on for a new national heroine and the crowds could be bigger! Sadly the Italian Ladies have not been quite as successful in recent years, so the interest has dropped off a bit! Marta could re-ignite their enthusiasm.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy