Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arc 1950 - I need some guidance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, so we have just persuaded friends to join us on our 2016 ski/boarding trip. This will be their first time on snow! There are 4 of us and 6 of them staying at the P&V apartments in 1950.

I've been to 1800 before for a week but that was a very long time ago! Would welcome recommendations for transfers from Geneva, ski school in 1950/2000 (English speaking and good for the adults and kids) and other general info. If there are ski school packages with lift tickets included that would be ace as I'm organising it DIY and want to keep their costs down. We are going SC but will eat out a few times for dinner - I imagine restaurant choices are limited as 1950 and 2000 are very small?

Also for those of us more experienced what lift pass should we get? We'll get around a fair bit but not too likely to go as far as the La Plagne link. Will no doubt want to all meet up for lunch with the kids most days.

Thanks
Paul
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@munter,

Restaurants in 1950 have picked up considerably in the past few years - there are at least 4 options we are happy to eat at on regular basis. In no particular order: Le Savoyarde, Mazot, Vache Rouge, Table de Lys. Brasserie 1950 is also OK, and is good value for breakfast if you arrive v. early on a DIY trip. Chalet de Luigi is also good ( and large portions), but in our opinion pricey for what it is. OTOH with Euro rates...
(Table de Lys is also pricey - but very (very) good for a posh meal 'a deux').

Avoid the pizza place Nona Lisa (although "acceptable" for takeaways - in the same way that Pizza Hut is acceptable...), and possibly Hemmingway's - although it's been a couple of years since we tried the latter.

Generally though, it is a good place for SC. - we might eat out 2, 3 time a fortnight but only because we've guests who want to treat us!
The Supermarket in 1950 is good (the 2000 crew are usually down here to stock up) and they do pre-cooked roast chickens, leaving you just with the veg + . If you are driving, some make a case for stopping off at BsM supermarkets before coming up the hill, but honestly - there is no value in spending skiing time trying to save the odd cent in a trip back down to the valley later on. (Unless it's for Pringles... always bring Pringles).

For ski school give Spirit (aka Evo2) a call / email. They're running the summer stuff right now, so should be available at the moment.

http://www.spirit1950.com/

Passes: Don't constrain people to the 2000 Valley - the price difference is not a lot, and by day 3 or 4 your newbies will want to go over the ridge, and explore the other villages. even if it's just one run. Go for the Les Arcs pass fr these guys.

But full Paradiski domain, even for the experienced skiers ? probably not.
We still, after 12 years of owning here, still get the Discovery pass when out for one week - it allows you the choice of one day over in La Plagne - and the day to choose is up to you. (And you can always buy more if it takes your fancy).
You can do the Vanoise in one lift and 25 mins from the boot rooms in 1950.

We always say that if you want to spend more than 2 days in La Plagne, then you've booked the wrong resort...

HTH, but please feel free to ask more questions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ate at Hemmingaways last season - it was good. Agree on Mama Nonnas. Love Chalet de Luigi esp for lunch on a sunny day rather than dinner though.

Spirit1950 would be my first choice ski school but the ESF at 1950 were good last year for my daughter and friends she made.

In last 2 years have not been over to La Plagne and not felt the need to. Definitely need the full Les Arcs pass tough.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For transfers check out either 3Sixty Private Airport Transfers or Cool Bus. Both are transfer companies based in Bourg and run by some very nice guys.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks for some excellent tips. One thing I missed out in my previous post was regarding ski hire. Would it be best to go through the ski school for this, or direct? Was looking like around 100 euros for a standard ski, boots, helmet package for an adult. Does that seem reasonable value for money for 6 days?

Already counting down the days! Snow on the Scottish hills forecast this week - so much for summer!!

P
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@munter, I'd suggest to go direct - or rather via the usual aggregators. The on-line discounts (even at the shop run by the ski school company) are far better than the "learn to ski and get your lessons, pass and skis all in one" deals. As you say €100 seems reasonable / about the going rate - but those will be basic skis for your beginners, For better skis I'd expect ~ €20 uplift per move as you go up through the range.

We used to go up to 2000 (Equilibres) for guests, when queues in 1950 were particularly bad, but there are enough (? too many?) hire shops now, so queuing shouldn't be a problem any more.

And if you forget to pre-book, use t'internet a few minutes before going into the shop - you can even have it open on a laptop while in the shop and you'll still get a good deal.

AR
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy