Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Silver Skii, has anyone worked for them?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Finally!!
After endless applications and numerous Skype interviews I've been offered a Maintenace/ Resort Floater position with Silver Ski in Lè Plagne this winter season.

Has anyone ever worked for them?
Looking for some info before accepting the job if possible.

Mainly, uniform, anyone know what's provided?

Thanks in advance guys 👍🏽
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@UnumPila, congratulations! I've not worked for them but I've a recollection of someone telling me they were good to work for, this was a few years ago mind. Did they seem like nice, rationale people in the interview?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gämsbock,
The 30 minute Skype interview was very friendly and relaxed. They seem to be a small friendly company Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Worked for them 10 years ago. I have no doubt things have change a bit since. I think it depends on the team you are with. You certainly have to muck in and be prepared to do anything. (I was recruited to be a chalet cook, but ended up as a ski host). The "floater" position was one one the cushiest jobs in our set of 3 chalets.
They tend to recruit older staff which suited me as I was 40 when I did my season. They did not, back in 2005/06, hold a retainer on any of your pay, unlike other companies, to ensure you stuck it out until the end of the season.
I was in Reberty (Les Menuires) where they no longer have a presence. Most of the guests were lovely and you are expected by the company to be sociable with them. Pay was what you might expect (minimal). I shared a twin ensuing room with another member of staff. Lots of staff returned for additional seasons with them. They certainly acknowledged that you were doing the job for the opportunity to ski as much as possible. You also work your guts out, and there was a sense at the end of my season that there was limited acknowledgment that your individual efforts had served to enhance their reputation. But I think that's just the nature of the beast.
The one thing I think you should know is that La Plagne is where Len Silver bases himself for the season. He's a nice old chap and now over 80 I think. However his former wife Helen is still I think in overall charge in LA P and has a reputation for being a bit of a nightmare (general harridan by all accounts-and that has been according to some of the guests in their reviews, let alone the staff!). If I'm correctthat she is still there, I think she bases herself in chalet Boin Coin. Just be warned!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think, (I may be wrong, it was a few years ago), that Nadenoodlee worked for them as a chalet host. You could try PMing her. Oh, and congratulations!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I worked for silver ski - great experience and I would recommend them. I was 2005/6 season too but in La Plagne. The ex-wife refered to above (Hazel) is the mother of a good friend (fellow chalet host- she worked her backside off in our chalet all season) - I didn`t have any bad experience of being based in La Plagne at all - compared to what I have seince heard of other companies I think they look after their staff very well (but I was a long way from bon Coin)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nadenoodlee wrote:
I was 2005/6 season too

Crumbs, was it that long! Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The class of 05/06 has spoken and we both survived! Very Happy

We didn't have a uniform back then, save a fairly loud (previously used) ski jacket and trousers for those of us ski hosting- which of course no-one does anymore. I have to say I liked not having to wear company kit as I think it made us more human to the guests. That may have changed of course. We did have free use of hire skis and boots (but I had my own), and a full season 3V ski pass (unusual as most ski companies provided the local area one). How that translates in La Plagne and the Paradiski area you will have to find out. All food included of course, plus travel there and back by bus from central London. We could use company vehicles (minibuses) on our days off if we wanted to, including taking them for trips down the mountain as long as it wasn't too far. The local ESF with whom we had a good relationship would also offer some free tuition on our days off in low season. Health insurance included on top of EHIC. I think I had to insure my laptop.

So that's how it was 10 years ago. It was a great experience. Be warned-if you are a ski enthusiast now, a season will turn you into a complete addict!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I second what @Perty, said. You will become addicted. 9 years after doing a season I now live in the Alps full time.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Nadenoodlee, I am beyond jealous Sad . Still, my sabbatical and season in the snow led me, somewhat indirectly, to setting up home with Mr P and his 2 boys and doing about as much skiing as someone without a permanent home in the alps can manage.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@UnumPila, Congratulations, I've only heard good things about Silver Ski, go for it and have a great season!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have been on holiday lots with Silver Ski in recent years. Their staff have always been excellent and seemed to be very happy with the company (unlike some other holidays where the staff have moaned continuously about their employers). Many staff seem to return year after year which is always a good sign. The chalet staff seem to have a fair bit of autonomy with regard to menus etc so long as they keep within budget and don't do anything too outrageous!

As stated above Silver Ski seem to employ more mature staff - and indeed we get their annual email asking if we want to do a season as chalet hosts. Family commitments prevent this but in another life we would jump at the chance.

As ever, working a ski season seems to be a case of mutual exploitation - you are expected to be adaptable, work hard and long hours for poverty wages but in return you get to have the time of your life!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy